Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Anyone know anything about tarantulas?  Gavin wants one.

I have had several. I would recommend a Chilean Rose Hair. They get quite large (so they look cool) and are very docile. They also tend to move fairly slowly which is good for new handlers and for the delicate spider.

smjay2.jpg

jay2.jpg

That was Jay. I had her for 15 years. I let her out all the time. Feeding and maintaining their habitat is extremely simple and quite cheap.

How old is Gavin?

Ugh I hate spiders. If you want to see a big mother fucker scream and run that is me around spiders.

I have had several. I would recommend a Chilean Rose Hair. They get quite large (so they look cool) and are very docile. They also tend to move fairly slowly which is good for new handlers and for the delicate spider.

smjay2.jpg

jay2.jpg

That was Jay. I had her for 15 years. I let her out all the time. Feeding and maintaining their habitat is extremely simple and quite cheap.

How old is Gavin?

Awesome, I always wanted to hear an owners thoughts. Can you pet them?

smjay2.jpg

jay2.jpg

How old is Gavin?

Thank you!  That is awesome!  Gavin just turned 5.  I was quite thrown when he told me what he wanted, but he loves bugs and creep crawly things.  I'm not too keen on them myself, but I've never handled one or even seen one in person.  I think I can handle it though.

How do they taste?

How do they taste?

I can catch a few in the backyard, and ship'em to you. ;)

Wife seemed better today, but still scarred.

My wife said she personally took a few micro breaks a day to strech, she would hash her frustrations out in the car on the way home.

She also recommend going shooting. It was new and made her concentrate on something else and gave her a rush. Won't work if the wife hates guns, or you do, but I thought it was interesting. The whole time I expected her to mentiom something "relaxing" but something that required her to focus and made her feel empowered was what she mentioned.

Hmm, interesting.  I'm not opposed to shooting, just don't own guns.

Hey guys, just wanted to show off my new guitar i got today biggrin.png

20130508_141450_zps31c7bcac.jpg

Very nice paint job and I like the frette inlay. :)

How do they taste?

Why did I expect this? :lol:

Wife seemed better today, but still scarred.

My wife said she personally took a few micro breaks a day to strech, she would hash her frustrations out in the car on the way home.

She also recommend going shooting. It was new and made her concentrate on something else and gave her a rush. Won't work if the wife hates guns, or you do, but I thought it was interesting. The whole time I expected her to mentiom something "relaxing" but something that required her to focus and made her feel empowered was what she mentioned.

I could totally use a shotgun and pumpkins right now to blow off some steam--Or a 50cal LOL.

Something with a lot of kick.

Ugh I hate spiders. If you want to see a big mother fucker scream and run that is me around spiders.

I wonder who's the bigger mother fucker who's scared of spiders: you or me? :lol:

I prefer the Jim Breuer approach to stress relief

BINKBINKBINKBINKBINKBINK

Time for the chiro today.

J

That was awesome.

My mother loved her mom's day flowers.  :)

My mother loved her mom's day flowers.  smile.png

Ahead of the curve, nice.

smjay2.jpg

jay2.jpg

How old is Gavin?

Awesome, I always wanted to hear an owners thoughts. Can you pet them?

Some will set still, others don't like it. If they get irritated they will kick their abdominal hairs at you (which is why you see so many pics of them with bald asses). The hairs are irritants, and it is what they make itching powder out of. They will bother some people, but others are unaffected.

smjay2.jpg

jay2.jpg

How old is Gavin?

Thank you!  That is awesome!  Gavin just turned 5.  I was quite thrown when he told me what he wanted, but he loves bugs and creep crawly things.  I'm not too keen on them myself, but I've never handled one or even seen one in person.  I think I can handle it though.

When you buy them young you need to be careful. They will molt frequently. You need to keep humidity high in the cage (use a bark substrate and have a water spray bottle handy, spraying the cage once a day). If they are dry when they molt they can split and bleed out. They don't have muscles, they use hydraulics for movement, and their fluid is their blood. So a bleeding tarantula is a dead tarantula. You can fix a bleeder with super glue. You need to leave them alone while they molt and for a few days after they molt. They can break open and bleed if they move quickly while molting and after molting until their exoskeleton hardens.

Feed them crickets, maybe a dozen a month. You can feed them all at once in some cases, or break them up over time. I have had skittish spiders that didn't like more then a couple crickets in the cage at once, but Jay didn't care if there was 1 or a dozen with her.

Females get larger and live longer.

Keep them separate. Aside from Pink Toed tarantulas they are solitary and territorial. They will fight to the death. I had a 50 gallon tank with 20 pink toes in it, so that was cool. I didn't realize that I had a breeding pair in the tank until one morning I woke up and found 10 of them dead. Turns out mama killed all the other spiders to protect her brood, then ate the egg sac.

I always used the "log" houses thy sell for spiders and scorpions with burrowing bugs like a Chilean Rose. They like to hide, and if you want a happy spider you need to give it what it prefers in the wild.

Mexican Red Knees are killer spiders too. Not quite as forgiving and docile as a Chilean Rose, but certainly an excellent choice for older tarantula n00bs. They are fuckin beautiful spiders. Gavin may be a bit young for one of them, though. They are a bit more aggressive then Chilean Roses are.

Mexican%252520RedKnee.jpeg

When I think of more tips I will mention them.

Very nice paint job and I like the frette inlay. smile.png

Thanks, it plays a good as it looks too! Do you pick a little?

My mother loved her mom's day flowers.  smile.png

Ahead of the curve, nice.

Saved on shipping too. ;)

Very nice paint job and I like the frette inlay. smile.png

Thanks, it plays a good as it looks too! Do you pick a little?

I used to play daily until I shattered my left wrist in a car wreck a number of years ago.  Now it is a struggle to have fine muscle control with out much pain for extended periods, not to mention the time has escaped me on being able to practice. :(

Thanks for the info Seth!

Hmm, interesting. I'm not opposed to shooting, just don't own guns.

Bills rents them. AR 15's are extremely pleasant to shoot. If you ever want to go I will take ya. Just don't know about the wife's first time being ideal unless we went to an outdoor range or someone's property.