handman84

Box size and tuning frequency

Is there a good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to designing a custom ported enclosure in regards to volume vs tuning frequency? Like the more volume you have the lower you want it tuned? I have been playing with design specs in winisd and based on the graphs I see in the design window, want to build a 3ft^3 box tuned to 34hz for my 12" GCON . How well would this design translate into the real world? Box will be in trunk of my '96 accord. I listen to all types of music but LOVE dub step and deep bass. Would 32hz sound better. I am looking for max spl and bass response through a wide frequency range...

The amount of port area is what affects the tuning. SSA has some great enclosure designs already posted and available for download in google sketch up.

Is there a good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to designing a custom ported enclosure in regards to volume vs tuning frequency? Like the more volume you have the lower you want it tuned? I have been playing with design specs in winisd and based on the graphs I see in the design window, want to build a 3ft^3 box tuned to 34hz for my 12" GCON . How well would this design translate into the real world? Box will be in trunk of my '96 accord. I listen to all types of music but LOVE dub step and deep bass. Would 32hz sound better. I am looking for max spl and bass response through a wide frequency range...

There's not any "Rule of thumb" or ratio for enclosure size and tuning. WinISD is also not the best program to use for designing enclosures for the car audio environment. It's not too bad for getting an idea of what the response might be like for a given driver in a given enclosure, but sometimes it's just way wrong and it has no idea what the response will be once it's in the car. I would never go just on what it says but when it comes to the box specs posted by SSA you can bet that the recommended enclosure sizes are correct and ideal for the sub and 3cuft is right at the top of the recommended range.

32hz or 34hz you're probably not going to be able to hear a real noticeable difference between the two. What's the max dimensions you have to work with? I can help you design and draw something up if you want.

23" deep x 16" tall x up to 38" wide. Got a 3ft^3 drawn up but I just don't have a lot of experience with different enclosures and how changing variables affects the subs output. I am trying to avoid building too many boxes to get what I want.

I built a sealed enclosure when I got my GCON last month to save space but I want more spl and I know she wants to give it to me so I figure f**k it, I'll give up the trunk and port it...I just want to do it right the first...well second time :) I'll probably trust SSA and go 2.5ft^3 at 33hz.

Any design help or advice is appreciated.

There's not any "Rule of thumb" or ratio for enclosure size and tuning. WinISD is also not the best program to use for designing enclosures for the car audio environment. It's not too bad for getting an idea of what the response might be like for a given driver in a given enclosure, but sometimes it's just way wrong and it has no idea what the response will be once it's in the car. I would never go just on what it says but when it comes to the box specs posted by SSA you can bet that the recommended enclosure sizes are correct and ideal for the sub and 3cuft is right at the top of the recommended range.

32hz or 34hz you're probably not going to be able to hear a real noticeable difference between the two. What's the max dimensions you have to work with? I can help you design and draw something up if you want.

WinISD is not wrong, just the interpretation that people use of the results is wrong. If you don't bother to measure your cabin gain and apply the correction you can't then assume the response includes it...

I have never heard anyone mention cabin gain...what does that mean?

It is the effect that your specific vehicle will have on the frequency response.

A pair of tower speakers on a few hundred watts would be insanely loud in a small bedroom but would be nearly useless in an open field. The small confines of a vehicle not only trap the sound waves but also reinforce some of the low notes. Every car/truck/suv is different, but some specific low frequency waves will be louder in your vehicle, example your car might have a 3 db gain at 37htz.

Is there a way to figure that out without a thousand dollars worth of test equipment? Or is it even something I need to worry about?

Just use the rec'd design. The equipment can be had for less but the knowledge to use it correctly is not trivial

I dove into this as a hobby I could do because I love music and I spend a lot of time in my car. I had no idea how deep this "hobby" can actually get and I LOVE it! There is always something to learn and something more you can do to make your build better/more efficient. I am happy it isn't as easy as spending a ton of $$ on equipment and throwing it in your trunk. I look forward to many more years spent learning the craft.

Are there any good informational books out there that anyone would recommend?

Thank you StreetLegal

handman84, handyman? I'll call you handyman!

Handyman, I'm not sure if you know this but there are some amazing people who run, mod, and frequent this site. Aaron and Mark are co-owners of SSA, Quinten designs subwoofers, M5 and Impious absolutely know their stuff, Shizzon owns/works for an spl meter company, the list goes on and on, tons of current and former car audio shop owners. I could go on, but I will leave many out and others will start to blush or start to think they're hot sh!t (which they are). This site rocks!

Thats why I love this forum. I've been on others and the people there are either dicks or don't seem to know there shit. Aaron was super helpful with my order and answered every one of my emails within 12 hours. And to top it off SSA subs are AMAZING. I don't want this to turn into a verbal jerk off but that's why I come here. I am eager to learn and there are people here willing to help me do that. This site absolutely rocks!

OP, you sais that you alreadu have a 3ft3 seled box. Ok. But if you port it with an internal port, you'll have way less volume. It can be enough, but it can no too :(

I hope you have in mind that you will have to build another box.

Maybe I did not understand very well what you said. If that so, sorry :)

Thank you StreetLegal

No problem mann, you are welcome, we are here to help in whatever way we can.

8-12 sq inches of port area per cubic foot is a good start.

No it's not. Small's minimum port area formula is a good start.

I have it in a sealed box @ 1.35 ft^3 right now. I have a 3 ft^3 sketched up but haven't built anything yet. Going to go with 2.5 ft^3 tuned to 33hz...the recommended box...I figure I should trust the people who designed and built this AMAZING driver :)