Sign in to follow this  
SMpaintball78

Zon 15 caught fire in a 4th order!

so i guess caseys zcon 15 finally had it. he has been feeding it 3000watts lol (never dropping below 13.3V) got a text yesterday saying the zocn was on fire and he couldnt get to it because it was in a 4th order in his trunk but he could see a small flame down the port. thank god it burned itself out. This is not ssa's fault so dont think any less of them! all there subs are top of the line! lol feeding it 750watts over rms for a year and a half. i believe he did a 146 sealed up out of the trunk with a single 15.. not to shabby haha IIRC, caseys doing 2 zcon 12s or a single 15" evil ;) anyways, heres pics guys!

0126131900.jpg

0126131855a.jpg

0126131859a.jpg

Heres the last video we took of it...

R.I.P zcon 15

Looks like the coil got very hot!

When you take it apart take some pics of the coil and post them.

Edited by nem

:( so sad. Sucks cause volts were always up. Gain set properly. And there was no kind of smell at all or sounds or anything. It just stopped playing during a song and was on fire

I guess on a good note its forcing me to start my new build that I have been putting off

Looks at Sencheezy and shakes head **

Looks like the coil got very hot!

When you take it apart take some pics of the coil and post them.

I will. From what I can see of the coil its not Burt at all

Looks at Sencheezy and shakes head **

lmaoooooo

I have nothing to say!!

Good note, new build for you :)

at 1:15 in that video, you say "audiopipe 3k at 2 ohms"??

[img=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/SMpaintball78/0126131859.jpg]

Can't see that last pic Lantz.

<p style="margin-left: 40px">Also, that song being played in the video gives even my sub some issues, it hits very low towards the 3/4 note in the bassline. A lot of that will cause fire. Also, when you say you had no warnings, well duh, its in a fourth. I would say maybe got a bit careless. Its extremely easy to happen being involved with the music, and while focusing on driving, that plus playing over rated power, with a very dirty amp (iirc) to a sub that is in a box that is in a trunk that is sealed up. I would say all the ingrediants were there. Just be a bit more careful next time. No need for a fourth, just build a normal box and seal it from the trunk would be my advice. No bashing, just constructive critism bro, good luck on the next build!</p>

[img=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/SMpaintball78/0126131859.jpg]

0126131859.jpg

<p style="margin-left: 40px">Also, that song being played in the video gives even my sub some issues, it hits very low towards the 3/4 note in the bassline. A lot of that will cause fire. Also, when you say you had no warnings, well duh, its in a fourth. I would say maybe got a bit careless. Its extremely easy to happen being involved with the music, and while focusing on driving, that plus playing over rated power, with a very dirty amp (iirc) to a sub that is in a box that is in a trunk that is sealed up. I would say all the ingrediants were there. Just be a bit more careful next time. No need for a fourth, just build a normal box and seal it from the trunk would be my advice. No bashing, just constructive critism bro, good luck on the next build!</p>

I know what your saying about the 4th but the motor was in the ported side ported into the car so I figured I would have smelled something getting hot or something.. guess this is a leanring experience lol

What do you think caused this?

Cause I was just messin around with it and the only reason it stopped playing is cause the fire burned through one of the leads. Just hooked a wire to a where it Burt through and it plays. And voice coil looks 100% perfect..... so there wasn't over excursion. Voice coil is fine and clean. There was no popping . No kind of smell..... Just the spider caught fire and Burt through one of the leads and sub cut off

I know there will be a lot of people talking about that I had it hooked to an ap3000 but I forreal went way way easy on the gain.. I set it like it should be and then turned it down even more...... forsure going to be using a different amp for my new build though

How did you set the gain?

you burned the shit out of the tinsels, and then the spiders caught on fire. Pretty self explanatory, lol.

you burned the shit out of the tinsels, and then the spiders caught on fire. Pretty self explanatory, lol.

So tinsels will get hot enough to catch fire with nothing else messing up.... figured if it was clipping enough for that to happen the voice coil would be messed up or something

How did you set the gain?

With a dmm

his gains were set correctly. ill vouch for that lol gotta admit though, 1 zcon taking.3k getting the shit beat out of it for a year and a half is damn impressive :)

I put 10k to two and couldnt burn them up. Just because your gains are set with a dmm means nothing. Korean class d's and clipping kills.

My MT caught fire this past summer,

no idea were it sparked up at, was playing and then i could smell smoke, turned it off but it kept getting stronger, till im driving on the highway and see a burst of flame coming from the cone, yea not good and looked alot worse lol.

glad to know im not the only pyro on the forum

oh yeah and my tinsels sandwitched between spider.

Edited by djjdnap

SPL-Lab Smart Monitor is designed to prevent things like this from happening..

The reason why the coil isn't damaged is because the tinsel leads are weaker than the coil is thermally.

So tinsels will get hot enough to catch fire with nothing else messing up.... figured if it was clipping enough for that to happen the voice coil would be messed up or something

I have an old cone that the tinsels burnt lines on the spider and the felt knock pads. Tinsels get very hot.