SacredTanakh

Confused. haha...

So I had an old friend stop by and he knew I was a fan of bass, and he hasn't heard my subs yet but offered to show me his.

So he told me they were kickers, so I was already not impressed haha.

So when I actually listened to these 12in kickers in a prefab ported box on a 300w rockford amp, I was pretty surprised.

Ive never heard or seen these specific kicker subs before, and they were much louder then I expected. must be new?

Now keep in mind my truck has shitty acoustics, and doesn't seal up as well as newer cars/trucks.

It actually almost sounded as loud as the DCONs though. It was close, which really put a damper on my day.

Sure he was clipping the helll out of the amp and the SQ was out the door which I never do, but it was loud for 300w...

I would go as far as to say louder then my close friends older style JBL 15s on 1500w.

What is this?? did kickers get super loud overnight??

lol yeah, so I thought Id just post this disheartening experience.

This also has made me want a new amp so much more, been thinking the rockford prime 750.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Your right he was probably clipping them like crazy send "more power" to them. I think they came out with a new model comp or something.

I won't run Kicker because I've had problems with their amps, but I know people who swear by it just like any other brand.

There are a lot of people around here that run kicker, but those were way louder then any Ive ever heard.

Never liked kicker in any way, all there subs look very cheap inside and out.

It truly sounded terrible, cause of how far he was turning it up but yeah surprising none the less.

Edited by SacredTanakh

It's understandable why you or any other people would prefer these "underground" companies. However anyone that's used to big brand that has the mentality that kicker doesn't have SQ are just plain ignorant. Just about every well known SQ competitor has used Kicker. People like Cory Hemil and Gary Biggs that combined have well over a decade of world championships and grandmasters using Kicker.

Also prefab boxes are usually tuned quite high.

Kicker made some really nice comps.

Nothing wrong with mainstream stuff except pricing. I ran a JL13w0 or 3 can't remember on one of the older RF P500.2's Great sounding setup. Then I went diamond audio and Memphis amps. 

The only thing surprising is that you are surprised. Kicker has made a ton of stuff worth owning. I have some of their comps and an 12" L7 and they perform quite well. Not currently in a vehicle, most recently in a boat, but with space for a 15 I am running an Xcon now.

The only thing surprising is that you are surprised. Kicker has made a ton of stuff worth owning. I have some of their comps and an 12" L7 and they perform quite well. Not currently in a vehicle, most recently in a boat, but with space for a 15 I am running an Xcon now.

It's understandable why you or any other people would prefer these "underground" companies. However anyone that's used to big brand that has the mentality that kicker doesn't have SQ are just plain ignorant. Just about every well known SQ competitor has used Kicker. People like Cory Hemil and Gary Biggs that combined have well over a decade of world championships and grandmasters using Kicker.

Huh every sub I've heard from kicker including this one has been about the bass quality coming dual. dual subs might actually have better SQ :P

Ive heard quite a few of them, never heard any of the 15s though.

Might be shitty setups though, not sure. Ill keep a lookout.

Anybody know about polks sub line? Ive heard fairly good things about them.

Very true ...

I remember back in the day (early 90s) when the main attractions at car audio events WAS the Big Kicker and Rockford vans (musical systems, not just for "park and pound" and SPL numbers).

One in particular was "Black Beauty" ... 9 Kicker Comp 18s on multiples of Linear Power amps. Total sound system with mids and highs that made you sound like you was at the concerts with the bass tight enough to rip your head off.

Some of those trucks were strong enough to literally PUSH the winshields out of the vehicles. I'm not talking about cracking glass, but busting the rubbber seals around the windshields completely out. I watched the Orion (may have been the US amps) Chevy S10 Blazer do it once or twice ...

I think some were called "Thunder on Wheels" competitions ... Those were the days !!!

Here is one from google search ... Not sure which van this is, But I'm thinking that this is the "Black Beauty" Chevy Astro Van ...

kickervan01.jpg

Edited by Cablguy184

Why do so much people dislike Kicker ? I always thought it is a reputable brand.

I had some S15L7 in the past, in different enclosures, and they were loud and played low. Most of the times in sealed boxes.

They were so cheap form Indoaudio on ebay !!! The shipping with Fedex was cheap too ! I made some good money with all of the S15 I've bought.

I tried SSA subs and was happier with their subs :) but I still respect Kicker products a lot.

Huh every sub I've heard from kicker including this one has been about the bass quality coming dual. dual subs might actually have better SQ :P

Ive heard quite a few of them, never heard any of the 15s though.

Might be shitty setups though, not sure. Ill keep a lookout.

Anybody know about polks sub line? Ive heard fairly good things about them.

kicker subs >> Polk.

Any shifty setup will sound shitty. Dont blame the brand blame the owner

I dont care much for kicker, or at least their square subs, i dont like the way they sound. Although, the box i built for an l7 12 sounded pretty good, it was just real peaky. Also, kicker did come out with few new models this year, i think it is a comp r and comp rt somewhere around 800 rms.

I dont care much for kicker, or at least their square subs, i dont like the way they sound. Although, the box i built for an l7 12 sounded pretty good, it was just real peaky. Also, kicker did come out with few new models this year, i think it is a comp r and comp rt somewhere around 800 rms.

The sub wasn't peaky, it was the box you designed. Stop blaming a woofer for doing what you told it to do.

I'm not recommending everyone go out and buy Kicker gear, but they fit a niche and what they do they actually do pretty well. All the anti-hype is misplaced based on poor information and installation. How easy you all forget that installation is MORE important than the equipment.

Huh, I guess I'll pay more attention to the build quality then the subs used. Never really thought about it that way.

not that I'm ever going to buy kicker haha, just wont be as hard on them.

Edited by SacredTanakh

The sub wasn't peaky, it was the box you designed. Stop blaming a woofer for doing what you told it to do.

I'm not recommending everyone go out and buy Kicker gear, but they fit a niche and what they do they actually do pretty well. All the anti-hype is misplaced based on poor information and installation. How easy you all forget that installation is MORE important than the equipment.

if it was an enclosure for me i would have designed it to have less of a peak, but the guy wanted it loud on low notes, so he got it. I should have said i built it a little peaky for my taste, but the l7s do get loud easy.

it was pretty loud for one 12 and was pretty close, if not louder, than this one guy who had 4 l7 15s on two 2500.1s and my manager at the time thought kicker was complete garbage after that he had heard that but I tried to tell him it was just a terrible install. He did not believe me until i built a box for one.

if it was an enclosure for me i would have designed it to have less of a peak, but the guy wanted it loud on low notes, so he got it. I should have said i built it a little peaky for my taste, but the l7s do get loud easy.

it was pretty loud for one 12 and was pretty close, if not louder, than this one guy who had 4 l7 15s on two 2500.1s and my manager at the time thought kicker was complete garbage after that he had heard that but I tried to tell him it was just a terrible install. He did not believe me until i built a box for one.

So you liked it and it wasn't "terrible" like you stated in your previous post. Imagine that.

So you liked it and it wasn't "terrible" like you stated in your previous post. Imagine that.

I still did not prefer how it sounded, although it sounded better than all the others i have heard.