SpeakerBoy

PSI Custom 15's - Any good?

It sounds a lot like port noise, I'm not sure how much port area he has; I just thought it was a lot, big slot port across the bottom; I can fit my face in there adhd.gif  Guess I just wrote it off as a possible cause. 

I apologize to the BeeTLes then smile.png

You know, occasionally it's refreshing to be wrong. Glad i'm not forming false opinions of amazing subs laugh.png

Here's a question, because i'm sticking with lower power; more surface area seems beneficial. 
Had anyone here seen, or done personally, a wall/clamshell in a four door blazer with 18's?

I'll be back in a bit, need a rag to wipe the drool off my screen, haven't window shopped for woofers in quite a while.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I disagree to agree.

PSi has been better in the service depo in my opinion.

Also I feel like they are pretty honest in what people dream about with these 'assloads' of power they try to give subs and end up damaging them.

different forums different buttlick.gif

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/psi-car-audio/

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/fix-my-speaker/

with all the bad things ppl say about skar on these forums, ppl still buy  them and are happy.

SSA subs, FI subs all have their own problems.

Whats funny to me is that when someone post that their sub was defective from big company A its the users fault.

But when its company B its the company using cheap parts..

sigh.gif

lol  so how many of the A. im assuming your talking about fi  spiders sag?...  nope. 99.8 percent of the postings of peoples subs failing is  PROVEN to be user error.

its PROVEN that PSi's spiders sag,  even when not being over powered, they have other issues too. but for you to say that  the majority of the issues posted about fis sub are not user error your just being blind,

and  there is NOTHING one can do operator wise to prevent a sagging spider...

6 12" dcons would be a great option.

How about 3 x Fi SSD 18s?

Edit: Just saw you probably cant fit 18s, though that might have been with 4 of them in mind...maybe you can fit 3 of them without the clam shell?

Edited by 40oz

just a suggestion..look into the x series subs..

i've got 16 in the truck, it goes boom with very little power

Lethal Injections would sound pretty good as well. $209 a piece in the SSA store. Gotta love SSA store prices.

I am looking to go with a set of four; i'm not very picky about looks, but that's the one thing I can't manage to shake myself on adhd.gif 

As far as power goes; I don't NEED to be able to feed it a certain amount; I mean, I haven't even started amp shopping yet.

As long as it goes boom, I am happy smile.png

Anybody with feedback on four 18's in a four door Blazer?

The box design I have in mind is fairly simple, no funny angles, IIRC it is similar to Galamonkey's Expedition with four BTL's

Back seats are for sissies, so I am cool up to the B pillar.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Then buy the psi subs if you what fancy looking!eek5wavey.gif

You misunderstood. I want four subs; not a fancy sub. 

The PSI's were simply my first idea.

Then buy the psi subs if you what fancy looking!eek5wavey.gif

How much do you want to spend and power them with how many watts rms?

How much do you want to spend and power them with how many watts rms?

Re read the thread, both are answered

I still think your best option is four 15" subs at the power you will get.

Sounds good to me.

now, for four fifteens, in a small SUV on moderate to low power, would subs up port back trump a wall as far as output? I'm not looking for numbers, and slightly louder isn't worth the extra build time and cost for this particular project.

I am aware of the many variables, but as of now, especially for 15's, I am interested in the obsidians or the X's. I have a thing for low tunings, and I imagine I'll aim for 25-28hz. Starting power will be 1,000rms, just to have it moving while I save up for a matching amp.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Simple.

Subs up port back will be loud

But a wall will be louder, since you are technically decreasing the cabin space.

I believe that subs up port back have the waves from the sub going up and the air from the ports bouncing off of the back doors pushes them forward.

A wall you have subs and port aiming forward.

Sounds good to me.

now, for four fifteens, in a small SUV on moderate to low power, would subs up port back trump a wall as far as output? I'm not looking for numbers, and slightly louder isn't worth the extra build time and cost for this particular project.

I am aware of the many variables, but as of now, especially for 15's, I am interested in the obsidians or the X's. I have a thing for low tunings, and I imagine I'll aim for 25-28hz. Starting power will be 1,000rms, just to have it moving while I save up for a matching amp.

I would still consider the SSA gcon 15 750wrms x 4. I ran 1 and hit 140db. With 4 on 3500k eventually I would think 150db + . They say they are sq but they can get loud. The x would be a good choice also.

I think either setup could win in terms of overall peak SPL, just depends on exact tuning and setup. If you want a demo machine, a wall is probably going win that battle most of the time unless it's built like crap. It's blasting right in your ears and filling a lot smaller space, so things like hair tricks and floating bottle tricks would probably come easier. However, a wall isn't as easy to change/modify if you're not happy with the results.

I have 4 10's and went from a 5 cu/ft ported box to a 15 cu/ft 4th order by just pulling one out and replacing it with the other. If I had done a wall like I originally planned, it would have been a ton more work. Both boxes required removal of my back seats, the 4th order is just much bigger and it crushes the ported box on the same power in pretty much all aspects. I have cheap woofers for now but in the 4th order it still kills the lows like 15's or 18's, once I get some better woofers I am planning a 4th order wall. Just something to think about, if you really love the lows.

I see your location says Indiana by the Colesium, do you mean the one in Fort Wayne? If so I work just down the road from you.

I think either setup could win in terms of overall peak SPL, just depends on exact tuning and setup. If you want a demo machine, a wall is probably going win that battle most of the time unless it's built like crap. It's blasting right in your ears and filling a lot smaller space, so things like hair tricks and floating bottle tricks would probably come easier. However, a wall isn't as easy to change/modify if you're not happy with the results.

I have 4 10's and went from a 5 cu/ft ported box to a 15 cu/ft 4th order by just pulling one out and replacing it with the other. If I had done a wall like I originally planned, it would have been a ton more work. Both boxes required removal of my back seats, the 4th order is just much bigger and it crushes the ported box on the same power in pretty much all aspects. I have cheap woofers for now but in the 4th order it still kills the lows like 15's or 18's, once I get some better woofers I am planning a 4th order wall. Just something to think about, if you really love the lows.

I see your location says Indiana by the Colesium, do you mean the one in Fort Wayne? If so I work just down the road from you.

Yeah, I'm in Fort Wayne, I live five minutes from the Coliseum, on St Joe Center.

I love the way a clamshell looks, but I am not sure I am willing to take the risk of putting it together and not liking it laugh.png

Subs up port back seems alot simpler, plus I can swap it easier; not to mention I occasionally have nightmares about mounting upper subs in a clamshell (one nasty one was of a set of hcca's in the upper half O.O lol )

Let me ask this, does the amount of cabin space either help or hinder the ability to focus on the lower notes?

Does cabin gain favor a particular band of frequencies?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

What are your past setups? It sounds like you're going from nothing to wanting a wall. From what you are saying I'm sure a few 15's or 18's on 1500 watts would make you happy.

I vote Icon or Xcon 18's on 1.5k, which leaves room to double power and is under budget.

What are your past setups? It sounds like you're going from nothing to wanting a wall. From what you are saying I'm sure a few 15's or 18's on 1500 watts would make you happy.

You are absolutely correct, one of these threads are made every year by this guy.

All of my preference is formed from working on my friends and family's cars. I'm waiting for a fine to be processed to start driving again.

All of them have trunk cars however.

The only Suv I've worked on was my buddy with the two BTL18's.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

You are absolutely correct, one of these threads are made every year by this guy.

Can't say it isn't the truth, but I suppose i'm better off than I was as a daydreaming 16 year old with no job :P

lol and big big dreams.... and he had a little somthing before... tellem about your backpack stereo bro!

lol and big big dreams.... and he had a little somthing before... tellem about your backpack stereo bro!

I remember the backpack lol!