Tony Vang

smd dd1

Damn it... anyone know how to wire a breathalyzer to my keyboard?

the dd-100 proof maybe....?

I had no problems with Steve until he started to profit from misleading noobs. That sucks. Anyone who does that deserves no respect.

He's always sort of made a "profit" by misleading noobs.  That's how he built his name and got popular, by misleading noobs.  Once he was popular he commercialize it to cash in (like any fart smeller would).   

You are a wolf my friend....

I had no problems with Steve until he started to profit from misleading noobs. That sucks. Anyone who does that deserves no respect.

He's always sort of made a "profit" by misleading noobs.  That's how he built his name and got popular, by misleading noobs.  Once he was popular he commercialize it to cash in (like any fart smeller would).
Touche. I just didn't pay any attention before the commercialization

armykyle1, on 10 Jun 2013 - 23:23, said:

I understand everyone's point, but.... How many of you go through with a scope and check the sine wave at your full bandwidth of frequencies? Probably just one. Pull out your little nano scope and set your gain with a w/e tone.

Hopefully no one as that is a stupid way to set your gains. Of course if you read the thread you'd understand that.

>armykyle1, on 10 Jun 2013 - 23:23, said:

The DD-1 is a quick, easy and simple tool. The only time it messes up, is when the operator messes up.

Umm, no. It's a POS that does nothing useful. I've even thrown out the challenge to Steve himself to offer up when it could be useful and he ran away and only wanted to discuss where he could edit or remove posts.

I see a lot of pointless arguing in this thread. Most of it is simply you guys hate steve. Which is fine, a lot of people do. But the DD-1 works fine and does it's job well. I've set gains multiple ways and I still haven't ruined any equipment from how I've set gains. By ear, DMM, 2ch desktop full spectrum scope, DD-1.

I had no problems with Steve until he started to profit from misleading noobs. That sucks. Anyone who does that deserves no respect. As for the DD-1, what job is it that it does "well"? Fucking sucks for gain setting. I realize you learn the hard way, but come on. Don't close your eyes to thinking.

You can still set gains with a scope, DMM with a -15db tone and still ruin shit. I always run more power than I need, so I typically stick to 0db or -3db.

You can ruin stuff with any settings. Your choices make no sense. Train your ear. It will greatly improve everything.

armykyle1, on 11 Jun 2013 - 00:49, said:

You obviously can't hear everything. It's impossible. If you're running double, triple rms or more, you need to be precise. Not everyone's ear is attuned to hearing what is needed. At high levels of SPL, so many things come into play, that the human ear, just simply cannot detect. Harmonics and interference caused by the vehicle will drastically change what you "hear". Things can go way wrong before audible distortion.

And things can go way wrong before measured distortion too. Amusingly the DD-1 nor a scope can measure distortion. Ok, sure $50k Nicollet scopes can but I don't think we are discussing those here.

Your methods lead to the same conclusion. If you don't take the time to train your ear and to actually listen then your shit can fail. Use your ears, teach your ears, enjoy your stuff, don't blindly do something idiotic.

I can hear just fine. My methods make sense if you put 2 and 2 together. The levels music is recorded at varies greatly. With my smaller setups, it was much easier to detect audible distortion. But I'm not running "smaller" setups anymore. 

Also everyone is leading off track, this has to do with gain setting, nothing else. We're not talking about other components failing. Just one part. Stop weaseling the conversation in direction that benefit your argument, which is not the actual topic itself. So many of these topics get skewed because some of you try soooooo damn hard to be 100% right. When you're not. There's other methods. Except that and move on. Way too much closed minded thinking. If you constantly shun away other ideas, you'll never better yourself. 

There's no point in reading all the replies honestly. Over half are bitching about Steve. I swear it's like talking with democrats in here. Everything turns into ripping someone else down and basically calling their ideas bull shit. 

And why on earth would Steve accept a challenge from you? Cause you're "mr SSA tech team"  You're like a pringles can of bull shit. 

And why on earth would Steve accept a challenge from you? Cause you're "mr SSA tech team" You're like a pringles can of bull shit.

Lol...whatever man, the fact that you would discredit someone with as much knowledge as Sean has shows how "closed minded" that YOU are.

You like the KoolAid huh?

I understand everyone's point, but.... How many of you go through with a scope and check the sine wave at your full bandwidth of frequencies? Probably just one. Pull out your little nano scope and set your gain with a w/e tone.

Hopefully no one as that is a stupid way to set your gains. Of course if you read the thread you'd understand that.

>armykyle1, on 10 Jun 2013 - 23:23, said:

The DD-1 is a quick, easy and simple tool. The only time it messes up, is when the operator messes up.

Umm, no. It's a POS that does nothing useful. I've even thrown out the challenge to Steve himself to offer up when it could be useful and he ran away and only wanted to discuss where he could edit or remove posts.

I see a lot of pointless arguing in this thread. Most of it is simply you guys hate steve. Which is fine, a lot of people do. But the DD-1 works fine and does it's job well. I've set gains multiple ways and I still haven't ruined any equipment from how I've set gains. By ear, DMM, 2ch desktop full spectrum scope, DD-1.

I had no problems with Steve until he started to profit from misleading noobs. That sucks. Anyone who does that deserves no respect. As for the DD-1, what job is it that it does "well"? Fucking sucks for gain setting. I realize you learn the hard way, but come on. Don't close your eyes to thinking.

You can still set gains with a scope, DMM with a -15db tone and still ruin shit. I always run more power than I need, so I typically stick to 0db or -3db.

You can ruin stuff with any settings. Your choices make no sense. Train your ear. It will greatly improve everything.

armykyle1, on 11 Jun 2013 - 00:49, said:

You obviously can't hear everything. It's impossible. If you're running double, triple rms or more, you need to be precise. Not everyone's ear is attuned to hearing what is needed. At high levels of SPL, so many things come into play, that the human ear, just simply cannot detect. Harmonics and interference caused by the vehicle will drastically change what you "hear". Things can go way wrong before audible distortion.

And things can go way wrong before measured distortion too. Amusingly the DD-1 nor a scope can measure distortion. Ok, sure $50k Nicollet scopes can but I don't think we are discussing those here.

Your methods lead to the same conclusion. If you don't take the time to train your ear and to actually listen then your shit can fail. Use your ears, teach your ears, enjoy your stuff, don't blindly do something idiotic.

I can hear just fine. My methods make sense if you put 2 and 2 together. The levels music is recorded at varies greatly. With my smaller setups, it was much easier to detect audible distortion. But I'm not running "smaller" setups anymore. 

Also everyone is leading off track, this has to do with gain setting, nothing else. We're not talking about other components failing. Just one part. Stop weaseling the conversation in direction that benefit your argument, which is not the actual topic itself. So many of these topics get skewed because some of you try soooooo damn hard to be 100% right. When you're not. There's other methods. Except that and move on. Way too much closed minded thinking. If you constantly shun away other ideas, you'll never better yourself. 

There's no point in reading all the replies honestly. Over half are bitching about Steve. I swear it's like talking with democrats in here. Everything turns into ripping someone else down and basically calling their ideas bull shit. 

And why on earth would Steve accept a challenge from you? Cause you're "mr SSA tech team"  You're like a pringles can of bull shit. 

Steve has turned himself into a whore. Pay the man enough and he'll do anything. Nut huggers funded his every move for quite sometime now. Do you think he TRULY gives two fucks about how useful the product is if the money still shows? Fuck no.

Trust me when I say this......he is earning a shit ton more off people who do not fully grasp audio, or who are impressed by glass eyes popping out in a week than most people do in a month.

J

So just to play the devils advocate.

The DD-1 isn't usefull because after setting the gain the conditions will never be the same again and because you don't listen to 40Hz tones?

Also because you'll have to reset the gain after each song?

Isn't that exactly the same thing what you would do if you set it by ear?

What is the point of having a gain knob on a amplifier?

What is it designed to do?

(Can someone answer that question? Sean, Impious, Tirefryr,Shizzon,... ?)

The DD-1 isn't usefull because after setting the gain the conditions will never be the same again and because you don't listen to 40Hz tones?

I know that I wasn't referenced because I'm stupid but....yes every track will require a different setting, but the gain is only half of the equation. The other half is your signal voltage, or your source unit setting. If a specific track requires a change whether it is up or down you can control that at the source.

And if you use your ear why is this a problem?  Never said using an ear was a static situation.  Exactly the reason why you MUST use it.

Gain knob on an amplifier is to adjust for the input level from the source.

I bought a DD-1 after I blew my first sub setup, I fed into the youtube hype and haven't blown another setup...but I also ditched the DD-1. I set gains with it and my system sounded like shit. Common sense tells you that it would but I didn't take the time to think about it. It MAY be able to detect distortion at 2 frequencies but what about the other 29,000+ other frequencies that are coming through my speakers? I found music that was recorded and played particurlarly loud in my car and set the gains by ear to those tracks and use the HU to dial everything else in. It is a constant process for me to tune and get everything perfect but I have found a place I am pretty happy with, I found that setup using my ears and spending time LISTENING! I could have never achieved the sound I have with a meter or DD-1 or anything other than my ears

Was on a mobile device earlier. Can respond to this a bit better now.

Let us see what is closed minded here. The guy who defends something that some marketing propaganda promotes or in this case me.

Some history for you.

In 1993, I took a 2 week independent study in college. Working as a sound engineer at the time I wanted a tuner that not only investigated tune but distortion and profiling of instruments and microphones. Steps in programming were. Write a tuner to determine both amplitude and frequency. Calculate the distortion. Unlike the POS that Steve sells, my code actually would measure all harmonics (limited by bandwidth of the acquisition card nyquist of course). It could do this on any arbitrary input as well, not some fixed frequency. Program was freely distributed on the web for years. I tried to discuss the algorithm with Steve, he grabbed his "design engineer" and neither could answer rudimentary questions. That is why he ran from here. Knew that they had overlooked a ton and didn't want it to be exposed where edits weren't in his power.

In my lab, I have a suite of Bruel & Kjaer acoustic analyzing equipment that exceeds $100k in value. Also have a $60k Nicollet oscilloscope which measures harmonics out beyond 1GHz. Add to that a 3D scanning laser vibrometer that makes the Klippel look like a home brewed piece of shit.

I could use ANY of it for setting gains. What do I use? My ear.

Sounds pretty closed minded doesn't it?

DROPS MIC.....WALKS AWAY!

In epic Sean fashion

You are a wolf my friend....

LOL thanks ricksi.

As far as the topic of this thread... you don't know more than Sean and Brad, and you probably never will. These are my go to problem solvers and their knowledge BAFFLES me. Don't bother arguing with them unless you seriously, seriously know your shit.

Sean says c2047c6bacb3117d56535dd92a79c733_rectang

I already did.  In this post.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59562-smd-dd1/?p=1002165

Ok thanks guys but how will u know if it right or not by ear

Also what would I need to set if doing it by ear like do I turn hu sub bass all the up and how about my settings like treble and all that also how do I set the bass knob, and sorry still trying to learn all this as u can see im a noob

Need a better description of the knobs you are describing. If they are "boost" you shouldn't use them.

Normally starting with them all flat is the best approach, but the process is iterative so don't expect to do it just once.

As with setting ANY gain. First step is to find your limits for which you must listen to each driver independently. Frequency masking will really hide things from you otherwise. Goal is to find distortion that is audible to you and then not run it that hot. Each and every song will require an adjustment if you are running balls out. You have that capability to adjust right at your volume control. The bummer in the process is that you have to train your ear; the downside to this training is that it will make you want to keep improving what you have.

Need a better description of the knobs you are describing. If they are "boost" you shouldn't use them.

Normally starting with them all flat is the best approach, but the process is iterative so don't expect to do it just once.

As with setting ANY gain. First step is to find your limits for which you must listen to each driver independently. Frequency masking will really hide things from you otherwise. Goal is to find distortion that is audible to you and then not run it that hot. Each and every song will require an adjustment if you are running balls out. You have that capability to adjust right at your volume control. The bummer in the process is that you have to train your ear; the downside to this training is that it will make you want to keep improving what you have.

Very well said

Bass knob as the one u hook up to the amp and run it to the front and what about hu sub bass it goes from -6 to +6

Bass knob as the one u hook up to the amp and run it to the front and what about hu sub bass it goes from -6 to +6

We need a better description to comment. Gain knob it shouldn't be