SpeakerBoy

purchasing a woofer tomorrow, need advice, asap.

My choices are a Fi ufo BTL 18D2 for 250 shipped, or a dc level 6 18 with enclosure, for 800. Is the dc a good value? I simply want loud as fuck. Which would you choose, and why? I don't know which is better for what i'm looking for; obscene low end. I am focusing on these two, because they are both purchases from friends, trying to help them out, as well as help my sound situation :P

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I would chose the level 6 but that's a lot of money. The FI is a much better price though. Is the FI in good condition?

Is the lvl 6 a strictly spl sub? Thought I heard that somewhere.

Btl is in gorgeous condition.

Good price on that btl. I've been looking for a match to the one I got and it looks like you found one. Unsure of DC but not a fan. Too trendy. Love my 18" BTL

neither will offer you extrem lows IMO...

fuck a DC  IMO.. the LVL6 motor is a good motor for SPL.. but they have shitty fucking soft parts.. if you get it you might aswell recone it with FI soft parts..

the BTL is a good price for a good sub...

but i can tell you right now the DSS etho will get lower then the BTL.

Got the itch myself for an ethos. But for $250 I'd snatch the btl in a heartbeat.

yeah its a really good price... kinda too good shipped ya know ?

It's from a close friend, and i've heard it in person. I want an ethos, but i'll wait for an 18".

Btl for 250 plus ~100 for a box...sounds like a no-brainer to me if you can build the box. 

Yep, BTL for sure. Like said before, the lvl6 is an spl driver and DC has extremely shitty soft parts. 

Ill build your enclosure if you need someone. Looks like your Kinda close

Yeah, guy here in FL had Rusty special make him some lvl 6 15's. He kept breaking them (soft parts). Motors are great though. He ended up tearing them all down, putting Ti baskets on them, and reconing them with PSI softies. Hasn't had a single issue out of them since. This is in a daily with 4 on 20K+.

I would definitely jump on that BTL. Great price like everyone said already. And UFO BTL's can in fact get low as shit. I have personally heard many of them do it.

Edited by PHATBOi

This is the reason why they never put them on the website until the M2s came out.

No need to custom build them anymore.. 

Also, there is a guy on caco running a 9k amp PER Lvl6 without issues.

the Lvl6 is BETTER than the Lvl5 and vice versa.  It depends on your goals.

~45hz and below, the Lvl6 will dominate.  ~45hz and above, the Lvl5 will dominate.

This is referencing meter scores.

I'd personally get the BTL because of the price but i'd only even think about the Lvl6 if it's an M2 version.

I'm in love with the Ethos. 3 cubes at 22Hz. Yum

who ever disliked my post.. thats fine.. but if someone was selling a car worth 15K for 5 K you would be suspect ..... or a NORMAL person would anyway.. you maybe too young  to GET IT...

but again.. for the price its a no brainier

Well, since he's uncomfortable with the time delay for the money transfer, he's going to drive the four hours to deliver it sometime this winter.

When they make ethos 18's i'll snatch one. I am a sucker for the bottom octave; anything that dominates in the 20-40hz range is an option to me.

who ever disliked my post.. thats fine.. but if someone was selling a car worth 15K for 5 K you would be suspect ..... or a NORMAL person would anyway.. you maybe too young to GET IT...

I don't think people rate based on logic just on how they personally feel. Pretty stupid imo. It's not a dc vs fi thread. Just a which is a better deal thread. How do those ethos handle the mid twenties jon?

who ever disliked my post.. thats fine.. but if someone was selling a car worth 15K for 5 K you would be suspect ..... or a NORMAL person would anyway.. you maybe too young  to GET IT...

Fixed

who ever disliked my post.. thats fine.. but if someone was selling a car worth 15K for 5 K you would be suspect ..... or a NORMAL person would anyway.. you maybe too young to GET IT...

I don't think people rate based on logic just on how they personally feel. Pretty stupid imo. It's not a dc vs fi thread. Just a which is a better deal thread. How do those ethos handle the mid twenties jon?

well... i know your a little green to this... so ill try to  shoot ya straight....

im tuned low...  29.. .. but alot  more goes into that factor.. my car will respond  differently to  the same box, then it would in your blazer or what ever.. wave length loading.. so forth all come into play....

also you have to remember that im WAY over powering these subs...,. big time...  and they still kill the lows.. but because im over powering them so much, they dont play well UNDER tuning .. i mean dont get me wrong.. they play low like a boss... and my low i mean i play 30 hz with athority with as much power and im pushing... keep in mind i have a 7K on 2 1800 RMS subs.....

if you run the rated power on the subs and tune the box at 25 hz it will be pronominal

but with all that said.. i dont think you truly understand  what you would be biting off if you built such a stereo..... let me tell you the problems you will run into...

first off .. every one is on  the bandwagon about being low.. low low low low.....  lol well let me tell you ... if you tune low the first problem you will run into is that you will have a HELL OF A HARD TIME finding  music that plays well.

most custom slowed music is 28-30 hz, ... nothing lower.  ..  the only things lower honestly will be  classical music with organs, and movies... both of those options play down into the teens...  for a reason.. you feel it not hear it...

honestly i doubt you have ever heard true lows....  most people have not... they think they have.. but they have not.. it pisses alot of people off but its a fact

tuning at 33 hz is a safe place.. gives you best of both worlds IMO.

and if you run the ethos you will be happy .. i promise you ....

im  doing something against the grain with the ethos for YOUR and others benefit  im truly putting them thru the ropes.

they are mode for lows.  my advice to you is that of an experienced  user.. follow it or dont .. i wont be mad :D

well... i know your a little green to this... so ill try to  shoot ya straight....

im tuned low...  29.. .. but alot  more goes into that factor.. my car will respond  differently to  the same box, then it would in your blazer or what ever.. wave length loading.. so forth all come into play....

also you have to remember that im WAY over powering these subs...,. big time...  and they still kill the lows.. but because im over powering them so much, they dont play well UNDER tuning .. i mean dont get me wrong.. they play low like a boss... and my low i mean i play 30 hz with athority with as much power and im pushing... keep in mind i have a 7K on 2 1800 RMS subs.....

if you run the rated power on the subs and tune the box at 25 hz it will be pronominal

but with all that said.. i dont think you truly understand  what you would be biting off if you built such a stereo..... let me tell you the problems you will run into...

first off .. every one is on  the bandwagon about being low.. low low low low.....  lol well let me tell you ... if you tune low the first problem you will run into is that you will have a HELL OF A HARD TIME finding  music that plays well.

most custom slowed music is 28-30 hz, ... nothing lower.  ..  the only things lower honestly will be  classical music with organs, and movies... both of those options play down into the teens...  for a reason.. you feel it not hear it...

honestly i doubt you have ever heard true lows....  most people have not... they think they have.. but they have not.. it pisses alot of people off but its a fact

tuning at 33 hz is a safe place.. gives you best of both worlds IMO.

and if you run the ethos you will be happy .. i promise you ....

im  doing something against the grain with the ethos for YOUR and others benefit  im truly putting them thru the ropes.

they are mode for lows.  my advice to you is that of an experienced  user.. follow it or dont .. i wont be mad biggrin.png

I'll admit my question was blankly specific, I love showing off with the rare songs that have a 25 or 27hz note; and i've never owned a system that made it seem AUDIBLE it was more of a perception(?) I was on that kick for a while about building a box tuned to 26hz, but after doing it with my tens, yes, they get fuckin' floppy on most music. I want to be able to dig down, but not in exchange for mud music. I am trying to come up with a doable plan of action, lots of surface area on a modest amount of power to try to help get down; I drool over an NS-1, but I can't stomach the price tag; it's as much as my truck O.O I've heard SSA and DSS dig holes in the bottom octave, but other than visually built boxes (look at what they came in, add poly, and rebuild with an extra few cubes) i've never sat down, done the math. and designed a box. Upper frequencies aren't in toooo much danger, I have my subs crossed at 50hz, and am looking around town to find someone to help me with door panels for 8's or 10's if i'm feeling frisky. 

Is there any way to account for wave loading effects in a vehicle without a physics degree?

I'll admit my question was blankly specific, I love showing off with the rare songs that have a 25 or 27hz note; and i've never owned a system that made it seem AUDIBLE

It is VERY possible that you can't hear 25Hz. In particular with some of your previous listening habits. It is on the fence of human hearing and beating on your ears will make it disappear. Even if you can, your sensitivity in that range is horseshit. Doesn't mean you can't feel it, just won't hear it.

I capped audible to emphasize; the note is there, but not prominent