Sign in to follow this  
altoncustomtech

1992 Olds 88 Royale LS - Build on the Cheap(er)

Alright got some updates again.  I got the amp mounted and wired up and the HU installed in the dash but I'll have to get pics of them taken and posted.  I had too little time working on it yesterday to take the time out to take pictures.  I tested the Dayton's for operation and I have to say I think they're definitely going to do the job.  Good and tight response and they have good enough output for what I'm doing with them.  I was able to get to the doors this morning and they're almost completely done now!!  I got the baffles trimmed up to fit the door panels properly and still clear the connectors for the power window controls.  I glued them to the door, got the grille fabric attached to the factory grilles and the grilles reattached to the door panel.  It's time to attach the speakers to the baffles, hang the door panels back on the doors and tune it all in!

Here's some pics from the progress this morning.

I missed this picture on the last updates, both the grilles drilled out.

A9D56E61-67CA-4671-B56F-E16997A4ECF2_zps

Here's the baffles test fit and outlining the parts of the panel that need trimmed up.

92D54CC8-E388-4FEF-9E39-12D023168DD7_zps

B28625CF-EBD1-4E95-9841-ABDF85C27F68_zps

The panel all trimmed up for the least amount of interference with the speakers.

9BC3012E-7B97-4CEA-9707-1C8221127DF0_zps

58F772B5-911C-4601-9160-2C904E05551E_zps

Grille fabric on the first factory grille.

6FA7DD05-59DD-416B-B198-CDCEBC8E2B76_zps

Here's both door panels with the factory grilles all finished up and reattached.  Not much left to do now!

C5E50EE0-2338-42F3-80EF-FA468CC795A8_zps

20FFADF4-5637-4CE2-B237-0D78A75749AD_zps

looks factory!

looks factory!

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

I finished the car up yesterday!  I got the 4x6's mounted to the bafffles on the door panels and reattached the door panels to the car.  I spent a little bit of time tuning it and I'm pretty happy with it so far.  It doesn't sound like the van or the Jimmy but it's a VAST improvement over the crap it sounded like before.  The Aura's aren't quite as smooth as I had hoped they would sound like but for the money I paid they could sound A LOT worse.  The Dayton's however are doing extremely well.  They could definitely use a little more power but they have a great punchy sound that's full and natural.  I didn't have time for many pictures yesterday, I'll get some more taken today and get them posted up.

Haha, I bet it's awesome to see your vision come to life, that's awesome!

Pics. Pics. Pics.

Haha, I bet it's awesome to see your vision come to life, that's awesome!

It is.  Although this vision is fairly minimal in comparison to the build in the Jimmy it's always good to see it come to life.

Pics. Pics. Pics.

Yes, yes, yes!  Though I have to appologize, I've somehow lost the pictures of the actual mounting of the 4x6's but I have a few to share.  I do have a small rattle behind the 4x6 on the driver's side that I think is the factory speaker wire rattling on the plastic vapor barrier, or it's just the vapor barrier.  Anyway, when I pull the panel back off to look into that issue I'll get some pics of all the behind the scenes part of the mounting, fit, etc. at that point.  I grabbed a picture of the door panel back on the car to show it still looks factory and of the finished amp install in the trunk.

As you can see, it looks almost the same as it did when I took it off.

F682026F-0EF0-442A-86F4-088490D6D8C8_zps

Here's a few of the amp mounted in the trunk and all the wiring completed.  It's nice to open the trunk and not even be able to tell any of it is in there.

381D133A-A5DB-4020-AD06-FC0BE1165A1E_zps

D9EDC631-FC94-4209-8902-E82EE42332E7_zps

3B0C1DA7-B617-4619-B91B-50B188798873_zps

I've gotten a little bit of time driving and listening to it and I can honestly say those Dayton's are some of the smoothing sounding woofers I've had the pleasure to play with.  It's probably got a lot to do with the fact they're being ran IB so there's no ill effects to be caused by an enclosure but they really are wonderful to listen to.  Detail and impact without being overbearing or muddy.  The 4x6's continue to leave something to be desired but I think there's an ill effect from the installation itself that's lending to the problem.  It reminds me of the issues was having with the Bravox components in the Jimmy.  The sound is a little dull and lifeless, like they're playing inside a closed cardboard box BUT the tweeters seem to shine fine and the stage/image is actually spot on.  Doesn't make a great deal of sense but that's what I hear.  Overall it's a fantastic improvement over the factory speakers which almost sounded like a big set of overear headphones mounted to the doors.