ncc74656

balance/SQ, lossless line voltage?

To control the level of the signal, we use a potentiometer. A potentiometer (also know as a 'pot') is a resistor with a movable tap.I understand what M5 meant now by "pot" EQ. is there anything bad about an eq that has dials on it? are the digital or slide ones better in some way?

There is nothing inherently bad about them. They've served the audio industry well for decades. Most people like the pots more than sliders due to it being more difficult to "accidentally" change a setting on pot than a slider.

However, all analog processors (slider, pot, etc) are simply outdated and surpassed by the performance and features of today's digital processors. And with the relative affordability of the digital processors, there's really no reason to even consider the analog units. Digital provides so many more features and options, some of which analog can't even really do or atleast do easily. For example you can't use time alignment with an analog processor in the line, and there's no analog time alignment. There are some analog phase shifters, but that's not the same as time alignment and those units are few and far between anyways. In order to have time alignment, which just about every car stereo does need, you have to be in the digital domain. And then the possibilities for EQ and crossovers in the digital domain blows anything analog straight out of the water.

im worried i wont have enough control.

I am actually worried you will have too much which will end in a much worse result than if you had none at all.

i need to get an eq to play with and learn how they work/effect the system. i did a quick search for a digital car audio eq but did not find much aside from OEM adapters. i find lots of pot EQ's from various companies. can you recommend a digital EQ that i should look at or a manufacture?

i thought an EQ was just a "type of processor" like dell is a "type of computer" an eq, line driver, or cross over is just a "type of processor"?

Get a headunit with one built in. Having something external you are not prepared for.

i would buy the DEH80 if it had HD radio but it does not so thats out. outside of a double din i cant find a head unit that has a good EQ in it. id much rather have an external one mounted by on the amp rack im going to build with the new sub enclosure. ive got the 5 band EQ on my pioneer right now but its... meh...

HD radio? Seriously. Is anything even broadcast worth a shit here that makes that at all worthwhile?

i would buy the DEH80 if it had HD radio but it does not so thats out. outside of a double din i cant find a head unit that has a good EQ in it. id much rather have an external one mounted by on the amp rack im going to build with the new sub enclosure. ive got the 5 band EQ on my pioneer right now but its... meh...

you would be best to keep something up front at your finger tips. 

yea man, HD2 for 93X rocks is a sweet station.

dude its SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE RIGHT NOW!!!! i spent the last 5 hours driving around pulling people out. i am amazed at all the 4X4's that get stuck on the street and all the plow trucks in the ally ways. i pulled out 7 4X4 pickups plowing ally ways who were either sideways or dug in so deep there axles were hung up on ice.

i love this weather, wish it was like this all winter tongue.png

Edited by ncc74656

Why do you want HD radio? 93x broadcasts in lower quality in HD mode than you will get with FM as they use a highly compressed signal (unless something has recently changed). You can also own nearly their whole play list for $100.

Seems SUPER self defeating for what you claim your goals are.

the deh80 is not the radio for me anyway, it cant do 3 way active so its a moot point. still i dont understand why on there top of the line radio they would not include HD radio...

I don't run a 3 way active setup and love the hell out of my 80prs. Love being able to control things.

You CAN'T handle a 3 way active. 2 way is going to be hard on you as it will sound worse than a stock comp set for months. No amount of electronics is going to help that as you need to train your ears.

I still don't understand your fascination with HD radio either. You want SQ. Fuck radio and HD is almost always worse. What is the purpose?

the deh80 is not the radio for me anyway, it cant do 3 way active so its a moot point. still i dont understand why on there top of the line radio they would not include HD radio...

it can do 2 way + sub. which i thought you were interested in trying out instead? if you really want to add another channel then add a minidps 2x4 unit down the line. you'll still retain the majority of controls in the front of the car this way. 

QJw30Jk.png

the minidsp is what i was looking at for a processor, still reading up on it.

no, im not interested in a 2 way setup, this build will be a 3 way. also want to play with kerfing and dual sub enclosures.

for the settings i quite like the DEH80, i cant think of any other single din that has anythign close to its functions. visually i dislike the large button it has for volume and i dont like that it is missing HD radio and satalite built in. its a very nice unit but i dont see the point in spending the money for it given what i want to do. spending the money on a minidsp seems a better choice. not that i wont have some spare cash, now that im looking into other speakers than JL and hertz the price point is cut by a good 50%.

edit: the HD radio is to get more stations, nothing more than that.

Edited by ncc74656

the minidsp is what i was looking at for a processor, still reading up on it.

no, im not interested in a 2 way setup, this build will be a 3 way. also want to play with kerfing and dual sub enclosures.

for the settings i quite like the DEH80, i cant think of any other single din that has anythign close to its functions. visually i dislike the large button it has for volume and i dont like that it is missing HD radio and satalite built in. its a very nice unit but i dont see the point in spending the money for it given what i want to do. spending the money on a minidsp seems a better choice. not that i wont have some spare cash, now that im looking into other speakers than JL and hertz the price point is cut by a good 50%.

edit: the HD radio is to get more stations, nothing more than that.

plenty of units with more functionality than this pioneer but not on the market anymore. 

use pandora or spotify for music. 

i normally do use pandora but dont have a cell phone right now. broke it a few weeks ago and sort of like being off the grid

Seriously you should NOT do a 3 way active. It will sound horrid. Way too much confusion and knobs to turn. Don't do it. Do a 2 way first, master that and then up grade.

You also should NOT use a processor that you cannot adjust from the headunit. It will make your learning process 10x as long. The miniDSP has all sorts of other limitations in a car and noting from your wiring on the previous install this can easily be catastrophic. A miniDSP is only a 2way x-over btw. You'd need 2 of them.

Do yourself a favor. Compare the 93x analog to digital broadcast. It will make you not want the HD...

Dude M5 can seem like a dick but he knows his shit, inside out, backwards and forwards. I'd listen up. Three way is a whole 'nother level, start simple, save money, enjoy it for a while and then decide if you want to progress.

You should take some advice, or admit that you have no reason to ask questions when you ignore all answers. Wasting people's time they are generously giving to you. You wanna burn up money and hate the result? Go do it quietly....

I vote 2 - way active. 

Seriously you should NOT do a 3 way active. It will sound horrid. Way too much confusion and knobs to turn. Don't do it. Do a 2 way first, master that and then up grade.

I tried explaining that in his equipment choice thread. He wanted no part of it there either. So I exited stage left. Apparently he would rather have a terrible sounding 3 way than an excellent sounding 2 way.

Obviously misled via either a shitty shop, following morons on SMD or the like.

And seriously USS Voyageur you do NOT want a 3 way front stage. It'll suck donkey dick.

yes i want to go a 3 way. if you all wish ill ditch out of the forum and not ask any questions. thats fine. however i will never learn with out doing so ill go at it figuring things out as i go and let ya know how i fair.