Sign in to follow this  
OhHotDayum

Your Custom Gaming Rig

Has anyone here built their own gaming pc? If so, what are your specs, and what do you use it for?

Here is mine:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz

Processor Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 2

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX770

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

Ram: 8 gigs of Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-1866

PSU: Corsair CX750M 750 Watts

Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper

OS: Windows 8.1 (Not nearly as bad as everyone says it is...)

I use my computer for everything! I have a passion for gaming so i only play good games like Freddie Fish. Just kidding, I like to play any game that i have, but i play a lot of FPS and Sandbox games. Some of my favorites are BioShock Infinite, Garry's Mod, Borderlands 2, and Battlefield 3. I also do a lot of Photoshop and I make some websites with Dreamweaver. PC MUSTARD RACE!!1!

1794730_10203090183205066_1609733673_n.j

Corsair 400r case, seasonic 650w modular psu, i3570k, 8gb corsair vengeance, gtx 580 black ops (got it from a friend because he gave away one of my old cards, pretty nice upgrade!), asrock z77 extreme 4, 128gb ssd + 1tb hd + 2tb external, 24" viewsonic led, logitech 5.1 surround and g400s mouse on steelseries qck cloth.

885880_10203878404710111_128766939967238

Just hooked my gf up with my old setup, corsair 500r case, evga 750w modular psu, gigabyte mobo, e8400, 4gb corsair, gtx 560 ti (horrible drivers, tons of issues with it), 1tb hd and a super old mx518 mouse that works intermittently.

Play csgo, dayz, arma 3, rising storm, watch dogs

Edited by ecromeans

Ok, I'll play...

CPU: AMD FX-4100

GPU: 2x XFX HD6970

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula

RAM: 4x2GB OCZ Black Edition 1600mhz

HDD: WD Caviar Green 500GB (storage)

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (runs OS and apps)

PSU: Seasonic X750

Case: Azza Solano 1000 Blue (big arse tower!)

Mouse: Razer Copperhead

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Dell 30" 2560x1600 ftmfw

I use it for everything as well. Gaming, Netflix, e-mail, web surfing, etc. My ipad mini shares the e-mail and surfing load for sure. For gaming, I love the Crysis series and BF3 was fun; Diablo 3 and Portal 2 are my current players. Every once in a while I take it back with some good ole Generals (command & conquer). My recent acquisition of the 30" monitor was definitely the cherry on top. I can have two full windows open at once. Run through iTunes and surf the web at the same time. I just moved from a triple 23" setup and found myself hardly ever turning on all 3 monitors. Couldn't be happier with the switch!

Edited by hdrox88

pics or it didn't happen

I haven't built a good GAMING rig in years, mainly because I just don't hardly have the time to play games anymore.  However, after working in a computer store from 7th grade until I was 21yo I ABSOLUTELY refuse to buy some off the shelf POS.  I've always built custom rigs and the one I had previous to this one was a hell of a gaming rig, I just simply didn't use it for gaming so when the MB accidentally got ruined (my bad, ooops) I rebuilt it with a less gaming oriented mindset.  However, it's still powerful enough to play the games I still have without dropping any noticeable amount of frames.

Case:  Kingwin KT-424-S-WM -- I've actually had this case for over a decade.  It's just too nice, too well made to just get rid of without some really good justification.

CPU:  AMD FX-4100 processor

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A99X EVO

RAM:  8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

Video:  ASUS EAH6670 - 1GB Radeon HD 6670

HDD's:  Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB -- Windows/Linux drive

Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB -- Storage

PSU:  Enermax 850W (can't remember the exact model # as it's from the previous build and several years old)

Not a speed winner by any means but no slouch either.  The rig before it was a killer in it's day though, thought I was going to have to water cool the thing but it was super stable clocked like it was.  I had the biggest Zalman copper CPU, NB and GPU coolers that I could fit in the case and did good to keep the temps from going crazy.  Scored at the top of the heap on 3DMark03 back in the day and had a lot of people chasing me on it.  Of course as fast as things have progressed over the years it didn't take long to get left in the dust by comparison.  As a matter of fact all the fans and such are how it got killed.  Pulled in a LOT of dust, especially since I burn wood for heat in the winter.  I was having problems with it overheating so I went to clean it out and accidentally knocked the NB cooler a little cogwobbled.  Turned it back on and it didn't take but a few minutes for it to fry.

pics or it didn't happen

Here is a couple shots of my Eyefinity setup I used to have. I forgot to list the Razer Nostromo in there and optical drives are what they are anymore. The Logitech Z906 is pretty badass too. I don't have any tower gut shots, but can get wink.png

2012-01-22135005_zpsa114d758.jpg

2012-01-22154643_zps6d440657.jpg

Edited by hdrox88

pics or it didn't happen

zxqFpYU.jpgi0TgokG.jpg(No i wont open up my pc because the wiring on it is almost as sloppy as my desk right now... xD)

(Edit: Also that little white speaker is not part of my setup, i am just screwing around with it.adhd.gif )

Edited by OhHotDayum

I stumbled across these while trying to clean photos out of my phone. This is when I was running dual 64GB Samsung 830 SSD in a RAID0 for my OS. Otherwise, the setup is the same as described above.

2012-01-27185130_zps5b0bf2db.jpg

DSCN1620_zpsc60aaf34.jpg

I just got done building my new workstation that is gaming capable, lol.

People have been begging for pics but unfortunately, i just built it this past weekend and my phone died... new phone comes in wednesday.

The Build-

The Azza Fusion 4000 
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition

Intel Core I7- 4930K 6core
64GB of DDR3-2400 CAS L= 12

Coolermaster Nepton 280L Closed Loop System
Phobya NanoGrease Xtreme TIM
Idle Temps- 27-29C stock settings

Dual Asus ATI R9-280s

Dual EVGA SuperNova 850w PSUs

Dual Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Intel MC 240GB
Dual Samsung 2 TB HDDs
Dual Samsung DVD Burners

And just for kicks- 
24 Fans in the system.

4 140mm on radiator
2 exhaust top fans
2 PSU fans
Dual Delta 120mm Mid Volume fans(pulls air up out of computer into upper heat chamber of case.
Rear exhaust fan
Quad Memory fans
Quad Video Card fans
Dual Front intake fans
Dual side intake fans
Single 230mm bottom intake fan

Monitor setup-
(i am about to purchase the last one but havent set them all up yet)-

Dual 22" 1050p Monitors
Dual 16" 720p Monitors
Single 27" 1440p Monitor (gaming and graphic design)
Single 40-50"(undecided yet) 1080p LED Monitor (for movie playback)

This will allow me massive real estate to multitask properly.

Cheese and plucking rice! What are you doing on such a system?

What any self respecting computer enthusiast does with such a system of course. Fap material...

Went through all the custom building of PC's and lucked in to an Alienware M18xR2 and never looked back. I realized after getting this laptop that I never used any of my PC's past the potential of playing the oh so graphics intensive Counterstrike Source or GO.

Pretty much just checking email and getting zero lag on minesweeper.

No, heh.

I built it for the following-

Multitasking and design.

Surfing the net, photo editing, video editing, audio editing, amplifier testing, microphone sensor testing, game playback, movie\tv show playback.

All at the same time!

I'm not into spending $8k on video cards just so i can have an FPS that most can't see.

According to test reviews, my little 2 $200 cards can do 55FPS max or average of 40FPS on 4K resolution and those of you who have researched 4K in and out know it's not cheap.

I figure i'll eventually get a 4K monitor as soon as they come down a little.  I'm not going to buy a TN panel monitor after owning a 1440p IPS, lol.

So, instead of owning EVGA's Nvidia line of ridiculousness, i'm sure 40FPS on AVG is enough to please me with quality when i find time to get that monitor.

Right now, the cheapest good 28" is $799. 

20140905_174746-1.jpg20140905_174838.jpg20140905_174904.jpg20140905_174958.jpg

Burning money with those AMD weaksauce cards

:D

Pssh.. I don't need a lot of power to game.

I don't even Xfire them either and everything is fine.

I could have went to even a lower line but I felt if I ever wanted to use this system for uhd 4k, then these would do it.

I'm just jaw jacking.

But if you are not gaming I don't see the point in the dual AMD set up.

You could have got much much much better editing speeds with a more purpose built card.

Everyone does their own thing. I just can't find a reason to buy AMD unless you want surround don't mind the power draw and can't step up to the team green price.

I'm significantly past 4k in pixels right now. And my old cards cry like babies.

Even with a healthy OC I cannot run most games on higher settings with surround.

That's 2 year old enthusiast cards though. 660ti x2 ain't what it used to be.

:-)

pics or it didn't happen

Here is a couple shots of my Eyefinity setup I used to have. I forgot to list the Razer Nostromo in there and optical drives are what they are anymore. The Logitech Z906 is pretty badass too. I don't have any tower gut shots, but can get wink.png

2012-01-22135005_zpsa114d758.jpg

2012-01-22154643_zps6d440657.jpg

I just noticed the Belkin style grip for the left hand, what do you think about it?

Shizzon, I noticed you didn't grab the new haswell parts, what made you choose the old ivy bridge platform?

I just noticed the Belkin style grip for the left hand, what do you think about it?

It took some serious getting used to. I'm not sure if it is the same on all variations, but on my razer nostromo, the keys are lined up square to each other and not staggered like a typical keyboard. The keys are also standard height keys. I love the shallow keys(laptop style) on my lycosa so that was another thing to get used to. Once I got the hang of it, I like it a lot. The razer software is pretty awesome, any key can be programmed to do just about anything you want. I'm sure other keypads have similar options though.

Shizzon, I noticed you didn't grab the new haswell parts, what made you choose the old ivy bridge platform?

IF you are referring to the new tech using DDR4 Ram, i can answer that-

I had already picked out everything i wanted and sat on it for about 2 months.

During that time, i heard that the new cpus and mobos would be coming out toward end of year(which are out now) followed by memory.

One thing i know when it comes to new computer tech is the lack of pushing it to the extreme along with decent prices.

As of right now, or at least when i did purchase, there were no 64gb certified packages for DDR4.

Not only that, but the actual speeds that DDR4 came out with wasn't even all that fast even in the 32Gb packages and the prices for the smaller ones were ridiculous.

The Asus board that came out is lacking in potential for this new tech.

The DDR4 spec allows up to 256gb of RAM now but the board only has 8 slots still.

Yes, the cpus are prices right but lacking capability and ridiculous pricing, what i purchased was the best option.

I could have purchased some workstation cards but i do still game here and there.

I have used both nvidia and amd and i was able to get these cards cheaper than the nvidia alternative plus nvidia was 100% incompatible with some monitors i have,

Something most will probably never here but is true and AMD had custom drivers just for my needs to get this system up and running.

This build wasn't built on opinion but necessity parts where no others would work well.

Basically just COD, Battlefield, racing games and some strategy games.

What i love the most is emulation.
That actually requires very little gpu though.

I've been running the Wii on this computer for the past week.  So far, works flawlessly.

It took some serious getting used to. I'm not sure if it is the same on all variations, but on my razer nostromo, the keys are lined up square to each other and not staggered like a typical keyboard. The keys are also standard height keys. I love the shallow keys(laptop style) on my lycosa so that was another thing to get used to. Once I got the hang of it, I like it a lot. The razer software is pretty awesome, any key can be programmed to do just about anything you want. I'm sure other keypads have similar options though.

Maybe I will grab one sometime.....

I'm still getting used to the Cherry MX Red keys.