Sign in to follow this  
dopey

What to look for in a car audio battery?

I hear about amp hours and cold cranking amps...and deep cycle...

What numbers do you want higher and which numbers do you want lower?

You want a low ESR... you want high amp hours, reserve capacity, cranking amps, and cold cranking amps.

Buy a Kinetik, thats a safe bet.

You want a low ESR... you want high amp hours, reserve capacity, cranking amps, and cold cranking amps.

I am happy with my optima's.

Redtop under hood, will have a 34 series blue in trunk. Solid Batteries!

But I don't really wanna spend $800 for two battery's, if I can get the same 2 for $300 from a different manufacturer.

We have a large store that specializes in batterys for cars trucks, wheelchairs, semitrucks...I went to them, they didn't know anything about kinitek. I showed them the website, and they flipped when they saw the current #'s. Apparantly 2000amps is a very big battery.

The reason I ask is because there is a battery there that has 120amp hours, and 1500ish amps, but only cost $110. It has the same posts, dimensions, materials, and die marks as a Kinetik 2400...just a different color. I'm thinking it's probably the same OEM, just different branding.

Could you rank the specs as to whats more important...ca's over Ah...? Low ESR(which stands for...?) over reserve capacity?

Just looking for a better idea of what I need when I go talk to the battery guys. I don't understand their lingo.

and they flipped when they saw the current #'s. Apparantly 2000amps is a very big battery.

Cranking amps refers to the short-term current delivery of the battery. I'm sure they were thinking in terms of AH when they flipped, as singular 2000AH batteries are huge and uncommon...that would mean it can output a constant 100 amps for 20 hours straight :)

They saw the Kinetiks website. They said they had something close...for wheelchairs.

It had higher Amp/hours but only about 3/4 cranking amps. I need to know if this is worth $110. I'm thinking it is.

dopey is it sealed gel cell ?

ESR value good ? (since kinetik doesn't display their ESR value you should check into that)

I got an optima (since my current companies owner owns an interstate battery shop i got it cheap)

I just saw Costco and Sam;s club have optimas now

Yellow tops 34/78 for $160 bucks

Marine batt for $150

red top for $130

And that is in Hawaii in the 48 states they are cheaper due to lower shipping rates...

You can get kinetiks for cheap here

http://stores.ebay.com/Imezak_Power-Cells-...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

In my opinion there are TWO things you should never short cut in car audio...

the electrical

and wiring...

Just saw kinetiks site again. Whats up with the "Amps" rating? The cranking amps is pretty much the same as the ones locally.

WHats up with the EAGLEPicher Horizon? price? THe specs aren't all that, but theyre small.

CCA (you see this mainly for starting batteries)

The number of amperes a battery at 0

Edited by theabunai

what about batcap? they are pretty cheap online, less than 140. are they even equivalent to 1 good CA battery like kinetik or optima?

what about batcap? they are pretty cheap online, less than 140. are they even equivalent to 1 good CA battery like kinetik or optima?

The biggest one looks like a contender...but I still think I'm gonna go with the local ones.

I'll be back with a manu name sometime soon.

Kinetik has "short circuit current" ratings on the website, the manual lists the CA rating.

If you want big numbers, Odyssey lists their 2150 at 5000 short circuit amps :eyeroll:

I want big real numbers.

At a dead short a big battery will make more amps than kinetik lists as "amps". I wonder if this is the charging system equivilent of "MAX power" on amplifiers.

They aren't carrying that brand anymore. He said they are changing to a "better" (read: more expensive) battery. It should be in in a week. It's blue and grey?

Blue and grey are powerful colors right?

I've always known them to be. Grey is usually good for about 1,000 amps on its own, add blue to the mix, and you'll have yourself a whopper

Edited by element

I've always known them to be. Grey is usually good for about 1,000 amps on its own, add blue to the mix, and you'll have yourself a whopper

Thats what I read online. :fing34:

The odyssey 2250 looks like its a pretty BIG batt......but i wonder how well they stack up to kinetics

The odyssey 2250 looks like its a pretty BIG batt......but i wonder how well they stack up to kinetics

just get a northstar nsb90 ;)

I know when I switched to Yellow Top they took away my dimming issue on my old Explorer.

I know I'mma need that and at least the big threee on the Formula.

J

Just bought 2 Odyssey PC2150/31T for the same price as a Kinetik HC2400. They might not have the Kinetik name...but they DO have the Kinetik technology.

Voltage: 12 V

CA: 2150

CCA: 1090

AH: 100

Warranty (years): 4

Weight: 75 Lbs

Length: 13.0

Width: 6.8

Height: 9.4

If you realy want a beast in batteries? Check out the Nortstar NSB G3100 strongest battery I've found yet. But a little on the pricy side.$290 I use 1 behind the seat connected with 0gage wire to aSVR 90 under the hood. I use a Mmats D-300 in stage mods doing about 2350 watts and 2 15" Treos SSX in a 8.5 c. box and doing 148+ in compitition. :OhYeah: