bsmallard15

Gain, Hz, and Db

my friend told me that if the grounded negative wire is touching the power wire then it can cause heating problems.

If the insulation is touching, no...if the conductors are touching, "heating problems" is a bit of an understatement :D

insulation? as in the rubber that covers the wire?

my friend told me that if the grounded negative wire is touching the power wire then it can cause heating problems.

If the insulation is touching, no...if the conductors are touching, "heating problems" is a bit of an understatement :D

insulation? as in the rubber that covers the wire?

yes

1/5th means nothing. You either need an ear to hear distortion or a dmm if you don't have the ear. What are you using for power wires and where are they run to?

i have no doubt my wires are run correctly..my friend told me that if the grounded negative wire is touching the power wire then it can cause heating problems. Idk if it worked because i havent run it since i seperated them about an hour ago.

That doesn't even come close to answering my question, how about I make it more specific. What gauge wire are you running and to what do you have it connected to?

1/5th means nothing. You either need an ear to hear distortion or a dmm if you don't have the ear. What are you using for power wires and where are they run to?

i have no doubt my wires are run correctly..my friend told me that if the grounded negative wire is touching the power wire then it can cause heating problems. Idk if it worked because i havent run it since i seperated them about an hour ago.

That doesn't even come close to answering my question, how about I make it more specific. What gauge wire are you running and to what do you have it connected to?

5 guage from battery to fuse box to amp

I've seriously never seen 5ga. wire before.

And that isn't big enough.

5 guage?

Where did you find 5 guage

way to small in my opinion but such an odd guage

I'd upgrade that whole electrical system, top to bottom. I've seen 5 guage before, but never saw a reason to use it when 0,4,8, and occasional 2guage are the main size you see- and almost all distrobution blocks/fuseholders/terminals work with those standard sizes.

5 guage = walmart wire kit =)

im pretty sure he meant to say that the power wire was touching a ground...which could have been shorting somethin out..

Edited by LittleMatt

If bare power wire was touching bare ground wire then a lot more then his amp would be hot...

I didn't even know walmart sold an amp kit..

Yeah tej I've never seen 5 guage car audio wire before....

Don't know why he went 5 instead of standard 4 gauge or 2 gauge..

When i was an installer back in the days i was always taught 2 things

NEVER take a short cut on wires (routing, connecting, gauge and length)

If you have to question and wonder if the power/ground wire is to small a gauge then it probably is...

Edited by theabunai

And your ground?

And your ground?

its a 9 guage wire i believe. Im going to this place called glissons here in town and theyre gonna rewire my hole system. Im gonna get them to do it in 0 or 2 guage. I think that will take care of the hole over heating because i was thinking that since my wire is so small its only giving out a 1000 watt stream and my amp pushes 2000 sooooooo thats a bit of a strain when the volume gets up. It stays cool when the volumes down i figured today so this should take care of the hole heating problem with my amp. It should also juice up my sub a bit as well...I CANT WAIT WOOT WOOT

WAY TOO SMALL.

As for the rest, I'm sure baby jebus is crying right now :(

Just my nature :P

sweet, so i turned my bass boost all the way down, my gain about 1/5th up and my hz on about 70 out of 200..and my amp still gets hot, so i seperated my ground wire from my power wire and hopefully that will help. A friend told me that might do it..? Id run a fan but then id feel like i cracker rig'd it sooo im not gonna do that.

space amp 1/2" off floor add squirrle cage fan to keep the amp cool :fing34:

I would go ahead and pay someone to rewire 1/0 in there for you. See how it goes from there and decide if you need to take further action. I'd still beef up your whole electrical system.

jebus is crying because you should always use the same size wire for power and ground. You should use larger wire then you need. Your amps is NOT putting out 2000w. New wiring is going to help, but you still wont get 2000 clean watts.

You are probably better off having a shop wire your stuff.

That's funny, I don't think I've ever said that before.

If you ever swing up by Fayetteville, give me a holla.

As guessed, had you answered my questions the first time you'd have an answer. Your 9 & 5 ga. combo has the potential to not only heat your amp up but fry it and your drivers as well. Rewire that pronto. In the interim turn you gains to the minimum and lay off the volume control.

jebus is crying because you should always use the same size wire for power and ground. You should use larger wire then you need. Your amps is NOT putting out 2000w. New wiring is going to help, but you still wont get 2000 clean watts.

You are probably better off having a shop wire your stuff.

That's funny, I don't think I've ever said that before.

If you ever swing up by Fayetteville, give me a holla.

Hey bro, you in Fayetteville NC?

Edited by tejcurrent

Arkansas.

I am assuming he means Hot Springs AR.

hot springs ar lol hollla dopy fay towns baller

ive had my system up would i be able to tell if anything was damaged or fried and if so how?

so anways how do i tell if its fried or messed up or anything something. I mean will i be able to tell by ear

Edited by bsmallard15

if it stops making sound....that was too much.

seriously, just turn it down till you get it rewired.

if it stops making sound....that was too much.

seriously, just turn it down till you get it rewired.

okk im getting it all situated monday sooo ill tell yall how it runs..100% would be nice

AZ is a big dif from NC, oh well :)

I would def. wait till your stuff is rewired before pushing it hard again. I'd cross your fingers that everything turns out okay, and hope for the best. Good luck.