Sign in to follow this  
criticalaudioinc

SAZ-3000ds two mtx9500 or FI btls

Ok guys what you think two sundown SAZ 3000s with either FI BTLs or the MTX 9500s? i have both sets with size being 12s. i was wondering cause im going to start on a new box? Im looking for SPL but also SQ for daily driving.

Im looking for SPL but also SQ for daily driving.

SPL and SQ in the same sentence may have you looking around harder then you want to for a sub

MTX 9500's won't take 3000 watts daily, FYI. And that's at the limits of the BTL's capabilities for daily, you have to be smart about it.

Edited by stratusrt01

MTX 9500s will die on that power, BTL's with full cooling should be fine with that amount of power as long as your not anidiot with the volume knob

Im looking for SPL but also SQ for daily driving.

SPL and SQ in the same sentence may have you looking around harder then you want to for a sub

sort of like saying "i want a lifted jeep that handles like a lowered bmw" :lol:

thats kinda what i was thinking and im not going crazy with it that much i just need to know what might be a better choice either the btls or 9500s i want to compete but also be able to do daily driving. and thanks for replying so fast

Good luck: sq,spl ,daily, comps, and parting the seas.Your not asking for much are you ? sounds like what you want is a loud daily set up. Use the Btl, the 9500 is a one note wonder and a knock off of the DD 9500series which is Often imitated but never , well you get the picture.

Good luck: sq,spl ,daily, comps, and parting the seas.Your not asking for much are you ? sounds like what you want is a loud daily set up. Use the Btl, the 9500 is a one note wonder and a knock off of the DD 9500series which is Often imitated but never , well you get the picture.

ummmm, no.......

The MTX 9500 is a very musical sub in a decent box, it just doesn't handle high power very well. The coil can take it, but it's mechanically limited, and will smack the backplate. It's definately not a one note sub. How do I know? Because I owned one for a long time.

th_extremeflex.jpg

Edited by stratusrt01

ummmm, no.......

The MTX 9500 is a very musical sub in a decent box, it just doesn't handle high power very well. The coil can take it, but it's mechanically limited, and will smack the backplate. It's definately not a one note sub. How do I know? Because I owned one for a long time.

th_extremeflex.jpg

I have installed 10 or better MTX 9500 and they have a large ripple "boomy"when ported. They do not have a wide bandwidth it is very peaky and narrow. Now an ID MAX by Image Dynamics ,that's a musical sub that can take a fair amount of power for a good and loud "sealed" daily set up. But that's just my opinion and what do I know.

You said it yourself "they will smack the back plate" ,good subs don't "smack the backplate"at rated power, that ought to sound good in a sq system. Drive that sub at high power around 60/70 hz and see how long it will last?

Well for that matter buy some SD-1 10" and put (4) in a set up with a saz1500 ,now that's a good mix of both and won't break the bank. Won't be a record setter ,but should satisfy most.

The MTX 9500 in the proper box is not narrow at all. Don't get me wrong, it definately isn't the LSQ driver that the IDMax or SI Mag is, but trying to say it's a one note wonder is not correct.

Definately not my favorite subwoofer, but saying it's a copy of the DD 9500 is totally incorrect, the 9500 was MTX's attempt to compete with the JL W7, and MTX makes no secret of that.

Edited by stratusrt01

You are an imbicile.

The MTX9500 IMO, has better SQ than the BTL... and gets quite loud off of little power. 1000-1500rms.

The BTL, has the ability to get louder, and will take QUITE a bit more power.

nG

You are an imbicile.

The MTX9500 IMO, has better SQ than the BTL... and gets quite loud off of little power. 1000-1500rms.

The BTL, has the ability to get louder, and will take QUITE a bit more power.

nG

Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one, or is ONE .

Also it's spelled imbecile:noun :A mentally deficient person. It also can be used as an adj. When you have solid proof of your argument please post it ,other wise it's an opinion just like mine.

But for what it's worth here's my proof BTL12 : QTS .21 (very accurate or tight bass) . MTX 9500-12:QTS .55 (not very accurate or boomy bass)There's no argument to that the BTL will sound more accurate, have a wider bandwidth ,and flatter response for SQ.It also has a RMS power rating of 2000kw compared to a 1000kw . Thanks for wasting my time. :finger:

Edited by TRZ

I am so glad we can all read the dictionary.

Personally I would go with the btl, they have been used by several people with over 4kw rms daily and aren't being reconed every week.

I've owned both subs, and have to agree with ngsm 100%......

MTX has better SQ, BTL will get louder and take more power.

There's a lot more to how a sub sounds than reading it's Qts. By your reasoning the BTL is a better SQ sub than the SI Mag, DD 9100, etc, and most other true SQ and LSQ subs.

There's a lot more to how a sub sounds than reading it's Qts. By your reasoning the BTL is a better SQ sub than the SI Mag, DD 9100, etc, and most other true SQ and LSQ subs.

I compared the mtx9500 to the BTL and according to it's build the BTL is a better sq sub .I did not compare the "9100 and the SI mag ,etc and most other true sq subs ",as you say.And the BTL's qts did make the difference in this case.I did not say every sub is determined this way.There are other factors as well including the box.

I would say that your box had most to do with your opinion. If built properly and tunned to the standing wave of the vehicle the BTL should do better in sq . Maybe you prefer boomy bass? Everyone likes their own thing. Once again I'll say IT, this is another opinion just like mine. The statement you made above has no factual evidence behind it, other than(" take more power"),obviously if some people say BTL and some say MTX then they are just peoples preferences. Honestly I don't care for either sub,but the person who posted the thread had those subs.

Edited by TRZ

Thanks guys im going ahead and building the box for the FI btls and putting a SAZ3000 on each. Should i strap them or should i not strap the amps the subs are dual 2 ohm and thanks again!

ah, yes, the new sq wonder, the btl.

if lower qts is better for you, go buy some 4hp's.

I compared the mtx9500 to the BTL and according to it's build the BTL is a better sq sub .I did not compare the "9100 and the SI mag ,etc and most other true sq subs ",as you say.And the BTL's qts did make the difference in this case.I did not say every sub is determined this way.There are other factors as well including the box.

I would say that your box had most to do with your opinion. If built properly and tunned to the standing wave of the vehicle the BTL should do better in sq . Maybe you prefer boomy bass? Everyone likes their own thing. Once again I'll say IT, this is another opinion just like mine. The statement you made above has no factual evidence behind it, other than(" take more power"),obviously if some people say BTL and some say MTX then they are just peoples preferences. Honestly I don't care for either sub,but the person who posted the thread had those subs.

where did you come up with that ?

Hmm one per sub is good (@ 1ohm i assume)

Though strapping them would let the amps see a 2 ohm load and run a bit cooler (I might be wrong though as i am unfamiliar with strapping these but i'm sure jacob will be here to clarify) In theory (and theory is just that an unsubstantiated guess that may or may not prove true) a 2 ohm load lets an amp run cooler then a 1ohm load i am not sure if that applies to strapping so take that with a grain of salt...

I am not the savvy tech some are here but isn't tuning to the standing wave of a vehicle an all intensive technique for SPL and not SQ ?

I would think if anything fixing the timing (or as some call it digital time alignment) of the subs would benefit the systems SQ not the standing wave.... I could be wrong here though

Edited by theabunai

ah, yes, the new sq wonder, the btl.

if lower qts is better for you, go buy some 4hp's.

where did you come up with that ?

Did not come up with it ,the Installers Institute did. I think your confusing QTS WITH Q and name brands don't make a difference to me there all resistors. As far as the sq wonder is concerned I don't remember saying that .I think I said something like the BTL will sound better than the MTX 9500 in this case .I never said it is the greatest sq sub in the universe. In another post I said I prefer the ID Max for SQ so please reeeaaaad all the post before posting . As far as 4hp's, I'll stick to my (3) SD-1 10" they sound just fine. Please feel free to contact the Installers Institute (ask for Jason, he's the head instructor)and explain to him why you would not want to match your standing wave.Or better yet explain it here with some facts and I'll be glad to email it to him and post his reply.

Hmm one per sub is good (@ 1ohm i assume)

Though strapping them would let the amps see a 2 ohm load and run a bit cooler (I might be wrong though as i am unfamiliar with strapping these but i'm sure jacob will be here to clarify) In theory (and theory is just that an unsubstantiated guess that may or may not prove true) a 2 ohm load lets an amp run cooler then a 1ohm load i am not sure if that applies to strapping so take that with a grain of salt...

I am not the savvy tech some are here but isn't tuning to the standing wave of a vehicle an all intensive technique for SPL and not SQ ?

I would think if anything fixing the timing (or as some call it digital time alignment) of the subs would benefit the systems SQ not the standing wave.... I could be wrong here though

No ,it is not simply an SPL tech. It is not the loudest point at which it will play. It can be tunned to 32hz and be the loudest at 39hz .It simply matching the freq at which the speed of sound naturally moves in your cabin or in a given length. can very some with altitude and temp. If you don't match it ,you can case cancellation.And yes it most certainly does give you a boost in db's with out cancellation.

I think you're just confused period, and you're contridicting yourself all over the place, what applies to one subwoofer, applies to them all. If that's what they teach at Installer's Institute, I'm so glad I do my own work.

I'm done with this thread, as it is going nowhere, and you won't admit that you are pulling BS out your ass now.

just because some institute came up with a theory isn't a very valid argument IMHO.

let's take a vw golf : about 3 meters from windshield to windshield. that's the 1/4 wavelength of 25 hz. haven't seen too many average size cars using ported boxes tuned that low simply because of the transfer function. you wll have faaaar too much low-end, which will result in a muddier sound. and the golf isn't a big car. how long is an explorer, or a tahoe ?

there, that's my argument.

i never mentioned brand names if you think i have some sort ot mtx boner ;)

But for what it's worth here's my proof BTL12 : QTS .21 (very accurate or tight bass) . MTX 9500-12:QTS .55 (not very accurate or boomy bass)There's no argument to that the BTL will sound more accurate, have a wider bandwidth ,and flatter response for SQ

there's something i have to disagree. as far as my knowledge goes, low qts subwoofers will be peakier in response. i don't think someone builds a pure spl sub to have a very broad frequency band :P

i don't want to ask Jason (or any other person) simply because you mentioned the whole standing wave deal.

Edit : i've done some reading...you tuned your sd-1's at 34 hz. 34hz means an 8.8 meter wavelength. 1/4 of that is 2.2 meters. is the 4 door civic that small ?