pimpedout97x

mini cooper wall thread, version 2

for those of you that didnt see in the other thread,

i took the first one out. i really wasn't happy with it once i thought about it. this one, already with the false floor, is coming out alot better. the floor is 2 layers thick. the first layer is bolted with 1/2" x 2.5" bolts in the rear, and up front its tite bonded, and screwed to those 2x4's u see under there. the 2x4's themselves are also bolted to the body with the same bolts.

none-the-less, its very sturdy, and not gonna budge.

the 2nd layer is self explanatory, its to make is 100% level (to cover the bolt heads used to bolt the first layer down)

and to clarify, the cuts i made on the rear cross-member, to get those bolts in (still cant believe i did that) will be getting welded shut by my body shop soon. just wanna throw that out there, becuase i know someones gonna comment on the pic that shows those cuts lol...

anyways, pics-

btw- i havent decided on subs yet. or the exact style of box. im 95% set on doing a ported clam shell, i just gotta see how much space im working with.

DSCF2391.jpg

DSCF2392.jpg

DSCF2393.jpg

DSCF2394.jpg

DSCF2395.jpg

Wait, so you are starting over as of today?

Is that a gigantic subwoofer sized hole in your drivers door? Did you do that? What's it for?

Well at least he has another ride to get around in while this build is going in. I wish I could say that.

Good luck with this one.

Good for you man. It takes a level head and discipline to get that far along, realize you took things in the wrong direction, and start over.

To make the wall integrate into the trim this time around, and while you have the box out, maybe you should make fiberglass molds of the sides of the car and the roof. That way you can cut perfect trim pieces around the edges of the box.

Good for you man. It takes a level head and discipline to get that far along, realize you took things in the wrong direction, and start over.

To make the wall integrate into the trim this time around, and while you have the box out, maybe you should make fiberglass molds of the sides of the car and the roof. That way you can cut perfect trim pieces around the edges of the box.

while that would be a great idea for the side panels, for me, its easier (still time consuming) but alot less messy, to just make a card board template, then trace it onto wood :)

cut out the bottom piece of the box. i need to get more Birch.

DSCF2401.jpg

DSCF2402.jpg

DSCF2403.jpg

DSCF2404.jpg

DSCF2405.jpg

DSCF2406.jpg

DSCF2407.jpg

Wow Bro :)

1 day ill grow some nerve and try something like that...

Actually using real wood for your box this time, eh?

cut the odd side pieces out. most of you will be confused, but im gonna get more done tomorow, and you will understand as the pictures progress, as to why its cut like it is.

DSCF2420.jpg

9.5* angle

DSCF2421.jpg

dry mock-up

DSCF2422.jpg

DSCF2424.jpg

sorta what im going to do tomorow. the sides will extend out with the side trim, thats why the side pieces are cut like they are.

DSCF2423.jpg

one of the 18s, i may not even use this, im not sure yet

DSCF2426.jpg

random pic

DSCF2425.jpg

glued the sides down

DSCF2430.jpg

DSCF2431.jpg

DSCF2429.jpg

DSCF2433.jpg

Actually using real wood for your box this time, eh?

last one was birch as well...?

Ha, you let me call it a box. ;)

I do have a question to clarify. You are doing this and you can't drive the Exploder either?

no i dont drive the explorer, but i can still drive this while working on it. i just have stuff inside taken apart right now. still driveable though. just got back from the tint shop, got 15% thrown back on the windshield (got glass replaced a few months ago)

test fit

this may give you a better idea how the sides will be, notice they are flowing the contours of the side panels

DSCF2436.jpg

put the back on

DSCF2438.jpg

DSCF2439.jpg

DSCF2440.jpg

not bolted down yet.

DSCF2441.jpg

DSCF2442.jpg

deleted the rear wiper. that plug will be there until i get a rear back up camera. im selling my Nakamichi head unit, as much as i like it, but i want to get a double din screen with Navigation. ill have to relocate the a/c controls, etc

DSCF2444.jpg

DSCF2445.jpg

not much done today...by the time i got home from work it was 5ish, then had to go somewhere at 8 so....

ill do this to the other side tomorow probably.

does it sort of make more sense now as to why the sides are like that?

just to throw this out there, i AM fiberglassing the ENTIRE interior of the box for added strength, and to ensure is 110% air tight.

DSCF2446.jpg

DSCF2447.jpg

DSCF2448.jpg

DSCF2449.jpg

DSCF2450.jpg

DSCF2451.jpg

probably not going to do anything else on the box tonight. tomorow i wanna try and finish the sides and the top.

i changed the oil in the car today as well.

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF2488.jpg

DSCF2489.jpg

DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2496.jpg

friend of mine hahahhah

DSCF2495.jpg

box = in for good.

glued/screwed it down to the false floor today.

the side panels are just sitting there, i havent put them in yet. gonna get the top piece cut before i screw those 2 window panels in. theres padding on the back as well, where it hit the window a bit.

DSCF2507.jpg

had a whole sheet of birch, and all i have left is the top/front/port, which wont be a whole sheet, so instead of 2x4s, i added a 2nd layer of 3/4" birch to the back, it made it very solid.

had to 2 piece it

DSCF2508.jpg

DSCF2509.jpg

DSCF2510.jpg

DSCF2511.jpg

hell, i like how the back is looking better than the front lol.

DSCF2512.jpg

also, as far as all the 90 degree angles inside the box go....im going to round them all before i fiberglass the entire interior of the box, but the box will be complete before i do so. also, i just want to test the box without glass/rounding the edges, and see how it sounds, and go from there.

go big, or go home

1 of 2 18" recone/basket

DSCF2516.jpg

next to 12" basket

DSCF2515.jpg

template for the back trim panel. gotta go get some 1/4" birch tomorow, 11 bux for a 4x8 sheet, and it weighs NOTHING lol.

DSCF2517.jpg

DSCF2518.jpg

DSCF2519.jpg