shizzzon

ShiZZZoN's Build Log

I had to make a new video today.

You guys wanna know what it's like to Bassrace with peaks WELL OVER 150dB?

Well, this vid will show it-

Current metering information-

152.55 at the driver Headrest

155.76 at the Driver Kick

Port tuning to achieve numbers - 29hz!

This is still an "in progress" build and aren't expected to be done until mid fall, hopefully sooner.

th_VIDEO0037.jpg

The entire windshield is now flexing outwards and has broke the whole upper seal off. I must reseal it soon. The entire top of the car is glass and needs to be reinforced soon as well.

nice progress ... how do u plan on reinforcing your sunroof?

SPLScion and i share the same car so we work together to overcome these obstacles.

My probes on my oscope have been actin funny the last few days and now they dont work so i had to go out and buy another meter while i wait to order some new probes so i can keep on testin.

I retested my score with the same setup and measured 152.3 at the MECA headrest position rather than 152.55 so i have been doin some port tuning...

Using same port area, just changing length-

25.5" - 152.33dB

24.5" - 152.37dB

22.25" - 152.52dB (back where i was, lol)

I'm suppose to be around 5-6" "theoretically" so i'll see when i get that small.

SPLScion and i share the same car so we work together to overcome these obstacles.

def. I have been doing more testing on that, I considered removing the glass altogether and replacing it with metal, but the guys from team renots think I should'nt since glass is so reflective. They challengeed me to reinforce it and keep the glass. Are there any rules in db drags directly pertaining to sunroof changes/mods? I am thinking that I might have to find 2 dif solutions for the 2 sunroofs if there are

on the rear sunroof I have made some good strides. I put 2 layers of 2nd skin on it as if it were window tint, then put a layer of that egg crate foam used to make beds more comfortable and a layer of poly fiber. to make a ghetto seal for it I used duct tape (temporary but works good for now) around the edges and then put the headliner back, closed the sunshade thats built into the headliner and bam worked like a charm and cant see the ugly parts at all. Only problem is if there are rules in dif leagues against doing this kind of stuff then it can be seen from the outside. guess I should put like 2 layers of 2.5% black tint on it and would solve that problem.

of course i dunno how useful the reflective qualities of glass are when they are hidden behind a barrier like that, but its cheaper and easier then a metal replacement.

for the front sunroof I bought a rubber pipe thats like a cross between a hose and a pipe (not too hard not too soft) and cut it in half length wise then placed it next to the weather stripping (making it the same length as the stripping) & used some silicone sealant to secure it. I then stuffed the area between the sun shade and glass with poly fiber. That works good but as my SPL gets closer to yours I dunno if its going to do much, I'm getting my new all out spl enclosure done in 2 weeks max along with alot of other upgrades, more batteries, zero gauge finally, and a few others I'm blanking on so I'll let once my numbers get up there how that works out on the roof.

I know I'd love to make that soft azz sun shade more sturdy like metal or at least like a volvo S-60's is, do you know the style I mean? I did put 2 layers of dynamat on the inside of it to sturdy it and it would'nt roll back in properly, or at all, maybe I should have tried just one.

I am painting the car next spring so I think before I do that I might just say F it and ditch the glass and give myself an all metal roofed TC. Do you thinjk I could get away with making the roof extra thick metal to min. flexing and not have to compete in the freakin super mod classes? Maybe I should just turn my tc into like a frankenstien scion crx-tc. Fort. I'll have all winter to brush up on my welding lol

let me know what you think shizzzon, these are just a few things I tried just screwing around really and a few thoughts on things to try in future. i know its a little disorganized but I had a couple brews today to relieve stress after moving Grams to hosp. again and I rarely drink so I dont know if anything I just typed even makes sense or if I explained what I did right. :drink40:

honestly i feel silly giving ideas to you about this cuz after reading a ton of posts from you I bow down to your knowledge when it comes to car audio. But I fig. maybe some of the crazy things i post might spark a real idea in you so faq it, I'll keep trying :-)

Edited by SPLScion

def. I have been doing more testing on that, I considered removing the glass altogether and replacing it with metal, but the guys from team renots think I should'nt since glass is so reflective. They challengeed me to reinforce it and keep the glass. Are there any rules in db drags directly pertaining to sunroof changes/mods? I am thinking that I might have to find 2 dif solutions for the 2 sunroofs if there are

on the rear sunroof I have made some good strides. I put 2 layers of 2nd skin on it as if it were window tint, then put a layer of that egg crate foam used to make beds more comfortable and a layer of poly fiber. to make a ghetto seal for it I used duct tape (temporary but works good for now) around the edges and then put the headliner back, closed the sunshade thats built into the headliner and bam worked like a charm and cant see the ugly parts at all. Only problem is if there are rules in dif leagues against doing this kind of stuff then it can be seen from the outside. guess I should put like 2 layers of 2.5% black tint on it and would solve that problem.

of course i dunno how useful the reflective qualities of glass are when they are hidden behind a barrier like that, but its cheaper and easier then a metal replacement.

for the front sunroof I bought a rubber pipe thats like a cross between a hose and a pipe (not too hard not too soft) and cut it in half length wise then placed it next to the weather stripping (making it the same length as the stripping) & used some silicone sealant to secure it. I then stuffed the area between the sun shade and glass with poly fiber. That works good but as my SPL gets closer to yours I dunno if its going to do much, I'm getting my new all out spl enclosure done in 2 weeks max along with alot of other upgrades, more batteries, zero gauge finally, and a few others I'm blanking on so I'll let once my numbers get up there how that works out on the roof.

I know I'd love to make that soft azz sun shade more sturdy like metal or at least like a volvo S-60's is, do you know the style I mean? I did put 2 layers of dynamat on the inside of it to sturdy it and it would'nt roll back in properly, or at all, maybe I should have tried just one.

I am painting the car next spring so I think before I do that I might just say F it and ditch the glass and give myself an all metal roofed TC. Do you thinjk I could get away with making the roof extra thick metal to min. flexing and not have to compete in the freakin super mod classes? Maybe I should just turn my tc into like a frankenstien scion crx-tc. Fort. I'll have all winter to brush up on my welding lol

let me know what you think shizzzon, these are just a few things I tried just screwing around really and a few thoughts on things to try in future. i know its a little disorganized but I had a couple brews today to relieve stress after moving Grams to hosp. again and I rarely drink so I dont know if anything I just typed even makes sense or if I explained what I did right. :drink40:

honestly i feel silly giving ideas to you about this cuz after reading a ton of posts from you I bow down to your knowledge when it comes to car audio. But I fig. maybe some of the crazy things i post might spark a real idea in you so faq it, I'll keep trying :-)

im going to have to do something similar to my sunroof ... thanx 4 the info

when giving demo's such as the one in the above post ( # 276) , perhaps you should supply tissues and barf bags, i'm not sure wether that fellar from white castle was going to cry or puke, lmao, a new crave case !!! 4 Dc Audio level 4 15's , ftw!

thanks for the info.

I would have to get in touch with some locals who compete and a judge i know so i can ask them what all can i do to the car's glass and exterior mods to prevent air leaks without putting me in a class higher than i want to be in.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before i ask them this as i am still port tuning right now.

Although... i had to stop doing port testing as of tonight because apparently... i have already found my freakin port length and am not happy with it!

I gotta look over a lot of graphs i have layin around so i can compare my data that i collected today and see what i need to change to get louder.

As of right now, it peaked a 152.82 tonight. and a 156+ at the kick.

Well, the first thing on my car finally broke bout an hour ago.

One of the plastic threaded screw holders to hold part of my window\door lock module in my car's door panel just broke straight off today.

Had to get a longer screw for it to reach the portion that's left and hold it together that way.

I have a feeling that my driver door is suffering from extensive pressure since that's where i meter at...

... and i have a feeling that it is not the last thing that will break from the pressure, lol.

Congratz, nice build though.

i'll be doing some pressure tests on the driver door soon.

I have absolutely no deadening in it and i need to see exactly what the door may or may not need to increase pressure in the car AND prevent further failures inside the door.

i never told u guys the results of the pressure tests-

Well, with the passenger door open, the car acts EXACTLY like a box and the passenger door being open as a port.

Back pressure is at it's greatest opposite the port, which would be the driver side of the car.

Every time i braced driver window, driver door, sunroof on driver side only.. Anything on driver side, the pressure went up!

If i tried to duct tape weather stripping areas to prevent air from coming out.. i drop pressure.

If i pressed on the sunroof in the middle, pressure would drop.

It HAD TO BE on the driver side only.

My driver door is not deadened yet...

I was talkin with a competitor and was warning me about deadening the door with anything saying that even if it prevents flexing that it will more than likely lower peak note and hurt the score...

I may need to use foam instead or nothing, dont know yet.

I'm gettin close to runnin out of pressure increasing ideas.

I got a few more port tricks i gotta test then the only thing left that i know of is... more power...

Oh... stay tuned... new video is being uploaded in 60 seconds!

here is new video, lol-

This guy hates my car because he thinks i'm crazy stupid for how loud it is...

He's funny though, he didn't wanna be in there at all at first but then when we talked him into it... he had to keep his ears covered.... Wimp, lol

th_VIDEO0042.jpg

got another vid, not really as funny as the other one but at 1:45, you get to see this guy's shirt movin pretty good inside on the passenger seat.

I was 5 parkin spaces down when some girls started doin dance moves in their car.. i've heard i can be felt from aways...

th_VIDEO0043.jpg

I love in the 1st vid when the guy hops out and asks, "What the hell is wrong with you?! Sitting there like it's nothin'"

you should post up the vid you got of the cute chick you acoustically rape and then told her it was the wrong song hahaha. her face was priceless

i did, it was on one of these pages in this build log..

Oh well, i'll post it again, lol hold on

ok here is the original video... again, lol

Keep in mind, this was back when there was no port in it the wall.

th_VIDEO0023.jpg

my excuse is bass lowers memory, forgot you posted it earlier, def. worth a repost any ways

Got a new video, lol...

My friend's little cousin offered to sit in the car in the driveway for a few seconds...

I warned him prior to sitting in but he wanted to hear anyway... That didn't last long...

th_VIDEO0044.jpg

Got a new video, lol...

My friend's little cousin offered to sit in the car in the driveway for a few seconds...

I warned him prior to sitting in but he wanted to hear anyway... That didn't last long...

th_VIDEO0044.jpg

fn awesome dude, makes me wish i still had my Tc

Edited by ANT R1

just got back from local comp in louisville, ky.

Couple big names there but with smaller setups trying lower divisions at this time...

I am still using the wrong port so i didnt do as loud as i had metered before on my mic.

This place was using the Tlab though which is good.

I metered a 154.9 in the kick @50hz pulling 236A @ 12.8v

I tried Driveby... never did it before so i'm a noob in that division - did a 123.4 using a song that peaks at a steady 50hz.

I was told your car's peak is your driveby peak but being the driveby noob i am... i do NOT believe that.. so i'll be doing driveby testing later next year when i'm done tweaking for SPL.

You ever metered it at the head rest or windshield lately? Kinda curious on those numbers not really big on the kick numbers. As for driveby you just need to test songs it took me a bit to find the right ones for me. Also your score it pretty good might get 2-3db more if you get dialed in. I think the last time i did a test i was breaking 120s so im sure you can get alot higher than me.

just got back from local comp in louisville, ky.

Couple big names there but with smaller setups trying lower divisions at this time...

I am still using the wrong port so i didnt do as loud as i had metered before on my mic.

This place was using the Tlab though which is good.

I metered a 154.9 in the kick @50hz pulling 236A @ 12.8v

I tried Driveby... never did it before so i'm a noob in that division - did a 123.4 using a song that peaks at a steady 50hz.

I was told your car's peak is your driveby peak but being the driveby noob i am... i do NOT believe that.. so i'll be doing driveby testing later next year when i'm done tweaking for SPL.

X2 on the headrest score....

from what I understand drive by responds to lower frequencies better---my truck is probably a driveby beast but I have no way to test and tune for it (I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't stand for me testing for that in the driveway) You really need to get the mic set up outside the vehicle.. and set it up exactly how driveby is-do a sine sweep to find the peak--watch out for reflecting sound off buildings... it changes things quite a bit...--so try to test in the wide open.

well, i know what my headrest score is with my good port, so going by what i did this past sunday, my headrest score should have been mid to high 151s.

I know, it's a BIG difference. I've done a 153.1 at the head before but that was on a different port.

I got's plenty of time for testing before next season.