mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

In the market for a new carry gun. Looking pretty heavily at something like a Smith 442 for appendix carry, now to go find one local if I can. Shipping to FFL's is such a pain.

The ATF takes all the fun out of everything.

38 special?

Ryan where do you pick up your handloading consumables?

Also I'm looking into the dillon reloaders, I want to understand something though. One pull puts in the primer, loads the powder and seats/crimps the projectile?

And as long as I buy a machine from their web site I can get it in the cartridge I want and then the only adjustments I would need to make to reload another cartidge is adjust the powder rate and have the proper die?

Yep, .38 special +p is what I'm looking for. I have no desire to run .357's in one so no need to get one rated for it.

I buy from a couple of places depending on what it is. Midway USA has a great selection of everything and is an excellent place to buy from. Primers and powder I buy local just so I don't have to pay hazmat shipping charge.

On the caliber change, it really depends on how easy you want to be on yourself. At least you will need another set of dies for said caliber. For reality you will need the dies and a tool head (what the dies actually screw into, so once they are set you don't have to play with it, just drop on another head and away you go).

For the easiest thing you need another set of dies, tool head, and powder thrower so you don't have to change anything. Possibly change out primer feeder depending on if you are loading large/small pistol/rifle.

Check out this site for getting a Dillon http://www.brianenos.com/

S&W J-Frame .38+P would definitely be at the top of the list if I ever decided to conceal carry

the only "light/low cal/low fat" dressing I use is western. It's flavor hinges on sweetness so cutting the oil isn't so bad.

If u want a good dressing buy balsamic and use olive oil. If u want it to be much much much healthier use udo's oil. I add rosemary to mine and than salt and pepper and other spice to taste.

we keep a bottle in the fridge. if u use olive oil it will solidify, if u use udo's it will not.

I think I maaayyy have some of that in my fridge

3cd2539a.jpg

:D

For fear of sounding dumb, what do you mean by, "buy basalmic"?

Balsamic Vinegar :) It's delicious and complex in flavor. The Real stuff can be extremely expensive but you can find it for a reasonable price.

Balsamic Vinegar :) It's delicious and complex in flavor. The Real stuff can be extremely expensive but you can find it for a reasonable price.

Err, almost, you can find YOUNG stuff for a reasonable price. The really old stuff is amazing though, I've had some that is $250 for 100ml and it is like crack.

I never mix it ahead of time, but make a dressing right before I eat. Make an emulsion with the vinegar, olive oil and I personally like to add some pulverized garlic. Here's a little hint, if you've never made an emulsion a bit of brown mustard will REALLY help it stay together ;)

Err, almost, you can find YOUNG stuff for a reasonable price. The really old stuff is amazing though, I've had some that is $250 for 100ml and it is like crack.

I never mix it ahead of time, but make a dressing right before I eat. Make an emulsion with the vinegar, olive oil and I personally like to add some pulverized garlic. Here's a little hint, if you've never made an emulsion a bit of brown mustard will REALLY help it stay together ;)

How bout that college budget shiz? lol

any recommendations on parts of vinegar to olive oil?

The more aged stuff is more like syrup instead of vinegar.

Real = Aged :P

Should've specified.

4 parts Oil.

Use extra virgin olive oil, or include other oils, such as grapeseed and walnut oil. Look for cold pressed oil.

Strong olive oil and balsamic vinegar do not mix well. Use mild, fruity olive oils with balsamic.

1½ parts Balsamic Vinegar.

Vinegar is usually 20% to 33% of the total dressing volume.

Experiment to find the right brand of balsamic vinegar. For salad dressings, low cost commercial balsamics are perfect.

Garlic cloves.

Mince the garlic and mix into the oil, and rest for at least several hours to remove the harsh garlic edge. The oil should be used within several days or refrigerated, as garlic will go rancid.

Other possible additions include salt and fresh ground pepper, herbs, mustard, or minced shallots.

:popcorn:

I did also buy some balsamic vinaigrette, but obviously making my own is much more legit.

The more aged stuff is more like syrup instead of vinegar.

Real = Aged :P

Should've specified.

4 parts Oil.

Use extra virgin olive oil, or include other oils, such as grapeseed and walnut oil. Look for cold pressed oil.

Strong olive oil and balsamic vinegar do not mix well. Use mild, fruity olive oils with balsamic.

1½ parts Balsamic Vinegar.

Vinegar is usually 20% to 33% of the total dressing volume.

Experiment to find the right brand of balsamic vinegar. For salad dressings, low cost commercial balsamics are perfect.

Garlic cloves.

Mince the garlic and mix into the oil, and rest for at least several hours to remove the harsh garlic edge. The oil should be used within several days or refrigerated, as garlic will go rancid.

Other possible additions include salt and fresh ground pepper, herbs, mustard, or minced shallots.

:popcorn:

Not sure where you copied that from, but I don't agree with a lot of it.

1) Strong olive oil is just fine, you just need to appropriately deal with it. In particular nice on strong greens like arugula.

2) Rest for hours, no fucking way. Garlic that is recently turned into a paste with the blade of a knife is perfect. Basically you do this like you'd normally chop but your knife is almost flat (ie parallel to the cutting board) and you smear it as you cut. Terrible description but I am sure if you google you'll find something. WAY easier on a wood board and not on plastic btw.

3) Low cost balsamic will always taste like low cost. That being said there are plenty of lower cost ones that taste just fine, but don't expect it to taste like a 20+ year old heavenly bottle. MK, Colavita will work :)

4) You ALWAYS salt everything. This includes the lettuce & dressing. And YES you need kosher. Pepper is always nice as well. Both go without saying.

5) I would never refer to good balsamic as syrup although the viscosity is similar. You can also intensify newer balsamics by reducing them in a pan. These can make nice dressings as well, but beware the amounts

6) Your percentages are strange. Either way, as much vinegar as you can get into the emulsion without it breaking will be fine and about the right amount. Each different vinegar will make this amount greatly different. Use your eyes and tongue, but do expect the dressing to be strong as you shouldn't use that much anyways.

And yes, it is the best thing you can put on greens IMO. Add some nice french bread and some parmegiano reggiano and YUMMY.

Ahh i see..

I guess you're resistant to fresh garlic taste :P

For me however I don't like extremely garlic-y things, time will indeed cut the flavor of it.

Even though it's silly, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHxenMG5TU

Alton Brown is extremely intelligent and very knowing ha.

The science behind Alton's preparations is definitely worth a watch; however, he is a complete pussy when it comes to flavor.

Watch him add spicy things to anything and you'll laugh, anything with strong seasoning he chokes on, and generally I am under the impression he likes blander food. Don't get me wrong, if I need a reference on how to do something he is where I will usually look first but outside of his pure Southern recipes and baking dishes I'd never follow one of his recipes exactly.

If you don't want as strong of a garlic flavor, add less. REALLY simple. The fresher it is pulverized the better the flavor and exactly why I don't like to leave it soaking too long. Exposing it to some salt for a while is okay.

And yes, I can eat raw cloves as a snack so I am sure I'll add more than you do.

Ahh i see..

I guess you're resistant to fresh garlic taste :P

For me however I don't like extremely garlic-y things, time will indeed cut the flavor of it.

Even though it's silly, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BHxenMG5TU

Alton Brown is extremely intelligent and very knowing ha.

Budapest my ass and the accent is bad :lol:

MMMMmmmmmmmm I do the exact same most of the time with the mustard. I flavor it based on the greens or the food I'm having it with most of the time. I'm lazy and make it ahead of time and keep on hand for salads. We eat quite a bit of salad at my house lately.

How bout that college budget shiz? lol

any recommendations on parts of vinegar to olive oil?

I start with a slightly oil biased 1:1 ratio and then taste and add oil untill it's right. Depending on my mix ins it can vary a bit but usually it's probably close to the classical 2 oil 1 vinegar.

With balsamic I love the flavor so much that I will go a little heavier than most people I bet. sometimes i'll just splash a teaspoon in my mouth for a kick while cooking. :)

If I use a regular red wine vinegar it's much much more harsh and needs some calming...... For a point of referance though I cannot remember the last time I made a vinegarette without balsamic.

Put an alternator in a friends Jeep last night. It went pretty well untill we drove around for a bit, wasn't charging, looked at it and saw the positive terminal was f'ed from the factory with a bad connection and broke it off and melted the back plastic piece. So then I had to go back to the auto parts store to get the old one off the core and put it on. Crap like this happens ALL the time on this damn Heep.

cock sandwich...... i have a broken hand im still trying to work as i know no one else is gonna pay the bills..... it has been raining hard for 3 days there in texas... im walking to hook up a car with one hand i slip and fall afraid that i will break my other hand if i try to catch my self i fall face fiirst into a huge puddle (lake) and now im soaked and my phone is fucked!!!

god what did i do to you ?

Wow John. :(. Any workers comp?