mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

A winter picture of Eastern South Dakota

cam5.jpg

We had 4+" of snow yesterday on top of the 4+ft we already had. Add the 20+ mph winds and it looks like waves on the prarie.

A balmy -5 F here today with a windchill factor of -25 F.

Welcome to Febuary. Its around 5F hear at the minute and lightly snowing.

I made it to the snow sculpting in Breckenridge this weekend. The altitude there is 10,500 ft. or 3.2 km. I got so trashed at that altitude it wasn't even funny. All the guys I meet at the hotel where from around sea level, I can't imagine how they felt. Cool fact, marijuana is decriminalized in Breckenridge, and I believe the only town or city in the country.

I made it to the snow sculpting in Breckenridge this weekend. The altitude there is 10,500 ft. or 3.2 km. I got so trashed at that altitude it wasn't even funny. All the guys I meet at the hotel where from around sea level, I can't imagine how they felt. Cool fact, marijuana is decriminalized in Breckenridge, and I believe the only town or city in the country.

Sounds like you had a great weekend man!!!!

J

Volvo wagon sleeper... :rofl2:

Just watched this finally. Freaking nuts. That drag strip is not far from my house.

J

Was a blast. No kids so the W and I had a great time together.

J

It sounds it!!!!

If the two of you want to get away for an AZ weekend once the W and I get home please let me know. We always enjoy letting people get away from it all in AZ.

J

flight is cancelled :(

hopefully flying out tomorrow.

Volvo wagon sleeper... :rofl2:

Just watched this finally. Freaking nuts. That drag strip is not far from my house.

This is just ridiculous, I Love it!!

J

It sounds it!!!!

If the two of you want to get away for an AZ weekend once the W and I get home please let me know. We always enjoy letting people get away from it all in AZ.

J

Arizona is nice. Sedona is one the most gorgeous places I have ever been. Thanks for the offer, I may hit you up on it some day.

J

It sounds it!!!!

J

Arizona is nice. Sedona is one the most gorgeous places I have ever been. Thanks for the offer, I may hit you up on it some day.

We may not be there horribly longer once we return but the offer is on the table bro.

J

Seems like I'm going to drop off my extra rims to get powder coated. Thinking about flat black (black car). How durable is powder coating ?

I'm thinking that if the rims chip it will look like crap having black paint and white marks from chipping.

It's far more durable than paint, well, in a traditional paint. There are very hard paints that are heat-cured like powder coating and they are also electrostatic applied. You typically see these on OEM wheels. If you are going to have them coated, they will strip them down to bare metal first. You can only powder coat over powder and it has to be done right after the first coat, so you would have bare metal-powder-cure-cool-powder-cure. I don't know how much abuse your wheels will see, but I've had great success with normal spray paint (enamel) on wheels. IT's cheap and easy to touch-up if anything happens. Hell, scuff your wheels now, go grab several cans of paint, paint the wheels and see how it lasts. IT may cost you $30 and some time, but you may find it a cheap alternative to powder coating which could easily run $100+ per wheel. IT also give you the ability to easily touch up whenever you need.

Seems like I'm going to drop off my extra rims to get powder coated. Thinking about flat black (black car). How durable is powder coating ?

I'm thinking that if the rims chip it will look like crap having black paint and white marks from chipping.

It's far more durable than paint, well, in a traditional paint. There are very hard paints that are heat-cured like powder coating and they are also electrostatic applied. You typically see these on OEM wheels. If you are going to have them coated, they will strip them down to bare metal first. You can only powder coat over powder and it has to be done right after the first coat, so you would have bare metal-powder-cure-cool-powder-cure. I don't know how much abuse your wheels will see, but I've had great success with normal spray paint (enamel) on wheels. IT's cheap and easy to touch-up if anything happens. Hell, scuff your wheels now, go grab several cans of paint, paint the wheels and see how it lasts. IT may cost you $30 and some time, but you may find it a cheap alternative to powder coating which could easily run $100+ per wheel. IT also give you the ability to easily touch up whenever you need.

They won't see too much abuse since they will be the street wheels. Maybe some dirt roads but that's it. And touching curbs with my tires is unlikey :)

I looked at a neighbors freshly refurbed wheels (sandblasted then powdercoated) and they turned out ok. Powdercoating was $5 / wheel, sandblasting was $30 for all 4. Not an outstanding job but way better than how mine look now, they are in horrible shape.

For how much the powdercoating costs I don't think it's worth spending my time painting them. Otherwise I'd paint for sure and touch up when needed.

We just got the wheels on our volvo c30 powdercoated black for ~$375, came out great. :)

They won't see too much abuse since they will be the street wheels. Maybe some dirt roads but that's it. And touching curbs with my tires is unlikey :)

I looked at a neighbors freshly refurbed wheels (sandblasted then powdercoated) and they turned out ok. Powdercoating was $5 / wheel, sandblasting was $30 for all 4. Not an outstanding job but way better than how mine look now, they are in horrible shape.

For how much the powdercoating costs I don't think it's worth spending my time painting them. Otherwise I'd paint for sure and touch up when needed.

WOW! At that price, it's a no-brainer.

We just got the wheels on our volvo c30 powdercoated black for ~$375, came out great. :)

How do you like the torque-steer in that thing?

How do you like the torque-steer in that thing?

It's my dads car and we just got it so I've only ridden in it, hes driving it.

We were actually talking about it earlier today, it pulls you through the turns, it's a different feeling but handles well and it's the T5 model so it's quick.