mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Nice glasswork.

My father in law and grandfather in law have been making composite materials all their lives, they make aircraft and spacecraft parts.

Not mine, I wish. :D

I've been reading up on fiberglass and composite boat building forums to learn any tricks to the trade, and a general better understanding of all the different materials and applications.

Ever get to hang out when they do some of their work?

I hang out a lot, they happen to be building some parts for me.

Nice glasswork.

My father in law and grandfather in law have been making composite materials all their lives, they make aircraft and spacecraft parts.

Not mine, I wish. :D

I've been reading up on fiberglass and composite boat building forums to learn any tricks to the trade, and a general better understanding of all the different materials and applications.

Ever get to hang out when they do some of their work?

I hang out a lot, they happen to be building some parts for me.

That's awesome.

I also grabbed a few ebooks on boat repairs, never really put much thought into how much work goes into making them, pretty amazing stuff.

Just random tidbits

vac.jpg

dry mat, covered in plastic, vacuum sucks out all the air, and valves open releasing resin.

Or they measure impedance on a core material to see how much water moisture is present.

im thinking about putting a small section of plexiglass on my box (just to see the sub doing its thing) i was thinking about a 12x12....can i get away with a 1/4 inch thick piece or should i go thicker?

I've been using my ms8 with all it's fancy processing set off, only using crossovers, for the last four months or so.

With the processing on, imaging dramatically improved, but vocals and instruments seemed shallow, and midbass was lacking. I know the ms8 is designed to yield a flatter FR and gets rid of the artificial midbass bump a lot of people including me are use to and enjoy.

The max acceptable listening volume also decreased with the processing on, imagine turning the volume knob down four or five clicks (rough idea). Turning the volume knob higher then set before / adjusting gain does not alleviate the problem, it only introduces a "scratching", "scraping" sound.

Visibly the cone is barely moving more then a few mm.

I'm hoping with the new kicks they will overall improve the FR, hopefully less issues will have to be adjusted by the ms8, and of course I can play with the EQ to help gain that midbass and "fullness" to the vocals, while having the processing set back on.

I've changed the crossover points and slopes to see if that reduced the "scratching", "scraping" sound, and it did not help one way or another. Tried lower crossover point and steep slope, higher xo point steep slope, and everything in between.

I'm beginning to think more power and headroom will solve the loudness issue.

I'm considering two of these aura 2x150watt and running each to an exodus ex-anarchy (Re 6.4ohm, 125w rms).

Currently I'm using an eclipse amp (4ohm 75w).

Terrible idea? :P

im not very familiar with the ms8. what can you do without the auto eq? can you still set TA, etc? i was under the impression that you pretty much have to use the auto tune then adjust the graphic eq to fit your tastes.

iirc, i heard you could lower gains initially, prior to set up and auto calibration, then raise them afterwards to correct for the output loss.

you could check quickly if adding another amp will help by bridging the eclipse to the mids and running the tweets off the ms8. actually, i would think bridging your current amp and adding a small amp for the tweets would be enough power..

Thinking of porting my kicks with some flex pvc tubing, 2.5" ID,

778156_300.jpg

Vent mach should be under 14 m/s, and should give a big peak in mid bass region, and I can always tone it down, and adjust transitioning per say.

Anything wrong with flex tubing as a port, I figured I'd run it half way up the dash, then make a hole and grommet on back of kick for easy connection.

interesting idea. im not sure if im picturing how the port will be run... so the port will exit above the kicks, somewhere in the dash?

im curious if the separation of woofer and port matter? would it be best for them to be closer and fire on the same plane?

pretty sure i fixed my car. new coil boots seemed to do the trick. i tried cleaning the old ones when i swapped the plugs but i must have not been enough.

thanks for the help guys! :morepower1: :morepower1:

early morning top! :eek5wavey:

also reinstalled my midbass. used an entire spray can of bed liner on the new baffles lol

dam im going to miss this car when she dies.. i can fit an 8" midbass with > 4" mounting depth in my doors with nothing more then a 1.5" mdf baffle.

decided to go with don's suggestion that covering access holes is not necessary when mlv is installed. so far the jury is still out. it might be that i have too much woofer for the doors to handle.

Sean, send some of the sun and surf sound my way!

You really want me to record that? If so, where do I post big videos?

BLUE-ECHELON-E1060s.jpg

What in the fuck

Almost as big as mine, lol

Sean, I know you've done the research; are there any quality gas grills with infrared that are ~1000 or less? Doesn't need side burners or rotisserie or anything fancy like that.

Whatever the new 316 Nexgrills are sold as brand wise. Only choice unless you buy a "boutique" grill which will make it look like shit.

I clicked, but am not reading. Will just be an abridged version of what I've already said. If anyone truly see's ANY value in a DD-1 post it and I'll show you why you are confused.

And yes, that is one of three fucking morons that are ruining this site by being complaining bitches. Sorry ass pussy can't actually have a discussion with me but has to instead deal with it in person with Mark. Really sad.

Also pretty sad the following Tony has. Obviously a rather confused engineer others the technique would be way easier and more accurate.

I've been using my ms8 with all it's fancy processing set off, only using crossovers, for the last four months or so.

With the processing on, imaging dramatically improved, but vocals and instruments seemed shallow, and midbass was lacking. I know the ms8 is designed to yield a flatter FR and gets rid of the artificial midbass bump a lot of people including me are use to and enjoy.

The max acceptable listening volume also decreased with the processing on, imagine turning the volume knob down four or five clicks (rough idea). Turning the volume knob higher then set before / adjusting gain does not alleviate the problem, it only introduces a "scratching", "scraping" sound.

I'm hoping with the new kicks they will overall improve the FR, hopefully less issues will have to be adjusted by the ms8, and of course I can play with the EQ to help gain that midbass and "fullness" to the vocals, while having the processing set back on.

I've changed the crossover points and slopes to see if that reduced the "scratching", "scraping" sound, and it did not help one way or another. Tried lower crossover point and steep slope, higher xo point steep slope, and everything in between.

I'm considering two of these aura 2x150watt and running each to an exodus ex-anarchy (Re 6.4ohm, 125w rms).

im not very familiar with the ms8. what can you do without the auto eq? can you still set TA, etc? i was under the impression that you pretty much have to use the auto tune then adjust the graphic eq to fit your tastes.

iirc, i heard you could lower gains initially, prior to set up and auto calibration, then raise them afterwards to correct for the output loss.

you could check quickly if adding another amp will help by bridging the eclipse to the mids and running the tweets off the ms8. actually, i would think bridging your current amp and adding a small amp for the tweets would be enough power..

might be of some use

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/8257-jbls-ms-8-processor-148.html#post1073797

might be of some use

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/8257-jbls-ms-8-processor-148.html#post1073797

I've read that post specific post and about one hundred pages or so from that thread. :rofl2:

I've been using my ms8 with all it's fancy processing set off, only using crossovers, for the last four months or so.With the processing on, imaging dramatically improved, but vocals and instruments seemed shallow, and midbass was lacking. I know the ms8 is designed to yield a flatter FR and gets rid of the artificial midbass bump a lot of people including me are use to and enjoy.The max acceptable listening volume also decreased with the processing on, imagine turning the volume knob down four or five clicks (rough idea). Turning the volume knob higher then set before / adjusting gain does not alleviate the problem, it only introduces a "scratching", "scraping" sound.Visibly the cone is barely moving more then a few mm. I'm hoping with the new kicks they will overall improve the FR, hopefully less issues will have to be adjusted by the ms8, and of course I can play with the EQ to help gain that midbass and "fullness" to the vocals, while having the processing set back on.I've changed the crossover points and slopes to see if that reduced the "scratching", "scraping" sound, and it did not help one way or another. Tried lower crossover point and steep slope, higher xo point steep slope, and everything in between.I'm beginning to think more power and headroom will solve the loudness issue.I'm considering two of these aura 2x150watt and running each to an exodus ex-anarchy (Re 6.4ohm, 125w rms).Currently I'm using an eclipse amp (4ohm 75w).Terrible idea? :P
im not very familiar with the ms8. what can you do without the auto eq? can you still set TA, etc? i was under the impression that you pretty much have to use the auto tune then adjust the graphic eq to fit your tastes. iirc, i heard you could lower gains initially, prior to set up and auto calibration, then raise them afterwards to correct for the output loss. you could check quickly if adding another amp will help by bridging the eclipse to the mids and running the tweets off the ms8. actually, i would think bridging your current amp and adding a small amp for the tweets would be enough power..

With the processing off, the EQ, XO points and slopes, are maintained, but T/A and the ms8's "auto tune" on the FR goes away.

I've tried calibration at several different volumes, and it does make a difference in end outcome, but not loudness.

Once my new kicks are in, I'll try disconnecting the tweets and bridging the amp for just the mids, good idea.

Thinking of porting my kicks with some flex pvc tubing, 2.5" ID, 778156_300.jpgVent mach should be under 14 m/s, and should give a big peak in mid bass region, and I can always tone it down, and adjust transitioning per say.Anything wrong with flex tubing as a port, I figured I'd run it half way up the dash, then make a hole and grommet on back of kick for easy connection.
interesting idea. im not sure if im picturing how the port will be run... so the port will exit above the kicks, somewhere in the dash? im curious if the separation of woofer and port matter? would it be best for them to be closer and fire on the same plane?

Imagine inside the dash the flex tube mounted to something, then it hangs down near the kickpanel area. I'd put a rubber grommet on the back of the kick pod (2.5" hole), and push the tube in about an inch (it'll be snug).

The flex tube length will be based on kick panel area, port area, for a tuning around 70hz or so. The other end of the flex tube will simply be under the dash somewhere.

Very cool.

Thinking about the same! Just in my doors, with 10" mid, tuned to around 60Hz.

Sean, send some of the sun and surf sound my way!

You really want me to record that? If so, where do I post big videos?

A video will just not do, I need you to use your awesomeness and send it my way. :) You don't have super powers? ;)

On a serious note, did you take the little men?

TOP!

Looks like he's going to pony up a few more Benjamins and getting a built in Mirage 605 and rotisserie kit; three stainless 16k BTU/hr burners, a 16k BTU/hr infrared burner, and a 15.5k BTU/hr infrared rotisserie burner. All for about the same price as a BGE XL + Nest + BBQ Guru...makes perfect sense...

Sad day when being principle oriented get you questioned if you did what was best for the company. :(