cause you killed it? :P Thought I'd finish the title for ya.

Hope you can get it all fixed. What amp were you using?

hifonics brutus 1610D 1600rms at 1-ohm at 14.4v I have noticed often that whenever my voltage dips at all is when my amp distorts, so is it the amp or the alternator or a lil of both. I have been planning on doing a HO alternator but now I have to do a recone.

How low is your voltage dropping?

I notice a lil distortion when it hit 12v, but it can go down to 12 while driving and 10 while idle. I do have a second 55ah deep cycle in the rear.

Edited by Small Town Audiophile

10 at idle is terrible

That sound your hearing when you press on the cone is probably the tinsel leads, and if they are making a sound they are burnt. It's very hard to fry triple stranded tinsel leads, you sure know how what your doing when it comes to blowing woofers.

your woofer is a victum of poor operation...

the gain on the amp IS NOT a volume control

there is a point on the volume where it really doesn't pound any harder if you pass

it but your not quite shure so you turn up past it anyways..... this is very very very bad

the end result is ALWAYS ripped suspension or fried coils and leads

contact Aaron ( Denim ) and he will set you up with a recone

That sound your hearing when you press on the cone is probably the tinsel leads, and if they are making a sound they are burnt. It's very hard to fry triple stranded tinsel leads, you sure know how what your doing when it comes to blowing woofers.

LOL,

Sad thing is, everyone saw it coming except the OP. Dude asked so many questions to have not learned one damn thing.

I know the gain is not a volume control and I do keep it turned below distortion most of the time, But it was 1 in the morning and I just came from a concert at a club that was louder than my 142db car so i wasn't paying attention and ya this happened. I know 10 is bad thats why i want a HO alternator.

I know the gain is not a volume control and I do keep it turned below distortion most of the time, But it was 1 in the morning and I just came from a concert at a club that was louder than my 142db car so i wasn't paying attention and ya this happened. I know 10 is bad thats why i want a HO alternator.

Wait... So your saying that you came from a concert to your car (moms station wagon?), and found that your one sub wasn't as loud as a building full of professional audio equipment, so you thought you would crank the gain to compensate?

:suicide-santa:

This blown woofer is good data for you, now you know what is too far on the gain. My way has always been turn up the gain until something smells funny, sounds funny, or breaks...then turn it down a bit. Get a recone and turn it down a bit :ehh:

you do know this sub is not made to get stupid loud right? it is more along the lines of a sound quality sub that can pack some output if u do it right.

Well that was stupid on your part. If you know not to do it, then why do you go ahead and do it

Wait... So your saying that you came from a concert to your car (moms station wagon?), and found that your one sub wasn't as loud as a building full of professional audio equipment, so you thought you would crank the gain to compensate?

:suicide-santa:

I never touched the gain. I turned the volume dial up higher than normal, and it was 1-2am i wans't thinking or paying attention that much.

Even that these are SQ I Think they should make the voicecoil more heat resisant. Is it really expensive to do this? if so I can see why otherwise why not I would pay an extra 100-150 if they had an optional better voicecoil and wires.

I do now know my mistake but now i must correct it.

Edited by Small Town Audiophile

Well to fix your problem you have to correctly tune your amp....

Or else you will be talking to Aaron about another recone. But i don't think they can make the VC better. It would probably take off some of the SQ or something but it will not sound the same.

It's already an 4 layer flatwound aluminum coil, the next best thing would be to make it an 8 layer and scratch the pole vent, but the means a whole new motor. They made the woofer to be a good blend of sound quality and output, and they achieved it. You should have considered buying more drivers, as you obviously want more out of your system.

well its just that I can tell the sub can do much more cuz when i turn it up that 4-5 more notches there is a very noticeable difference to me and my friends. From what i have seen now I think it was the alternator and amps fault. I have seen the amp shut off from it going into the below 10volt red area of my gauge... I do have a interview tomorrow and I know i will get the job so I will have money to upgrade soon.

Please do, that is the only reason your XCON failed.

It looks like it was a user error. Maybe you should sell the xcon and look into a spl sub. What about a Fi BTL?

but i want good accuracy to. So do you think the sundown would be good for this sub, since I am the type who leaves the sub turned up some days for up to a hour. I want good accuracy and I want loud and this sub has it, even though the install needs a major redo. I wish I could redo my box, but that won't happen.

Is there anything I can do to help it stay cooler???

Back off on the volume and gain. You'll know youre at the thermal limits when it starts to get smelly.

Edited by dvalue

I was asking if there was anything i could do to the box or sub to help it stay cool inside better.

What a read. I think you should replace the Xcon with a couple 12" Pyle subs until you can control yourself to spare your wallet and nice equipment. Seriously.