Spanky33

subwoofer sizes

46 members have voted

1. 1. which setup do you prefer most? If none of these are your favorite include your favorite in your post.

• 1 10" subwoofer
    • 2 10" subwoofers
    • 1 12" subwoofer
    • 2 12" subwoofers
    • 1 15" subwoofer
    • 2 15" subwoofers

So I was thinking about it today and I hear a lot of mixed opinions on subwoofer size and its benefits regarding sound quality and SPL. I'd like to here everyone's say on this one between a 10 a 12 and a 15 what are the main advantages or disadvantages of each of these as well as say 2 10s vs. 1 12 or 2 12s vs. 1 15 or even 2 or more 10s vs. a 15. what would you gain vs. what would you lose. As much details and actual real world evidence as possible. Lookin forward to hearing some good responses. Have at it. Also you could vote for your favorite setup above.

The only advantage to running a smaller woofer is box size. There is no discernible frequency reproduction that certain sizes of woofers hit vs others.

Can you explain your goal of this topic other then seeing what others will say, such as this is for a specific install?

I'm sure that's true but to the ear I've found that different sizes of the same sub produce slightly different characteristics. The other day I listened to two type rs next to each other both boxes built to specs both tuned to 30 Hz. And I could easily year the difference. I just wanna know why that is. And there's isn't a specific install I'm just trying to gain some knowledge. The specific goal is purely to compare and contrast different woofer sizes and see what people in general think about different sized subwoofers.

Edited by Spanky33

I usually stick with 2 12's, reasons being mostly on the side of basic implementation and of ouput. A box for 2 12's is usually small enough to fit in most vehicles making them easier to implement into most vehicles than a pair of 15's or larger, and it's been my experience that a pair of 12's is plenty of output for my tastes. Sure from time to time it might be nice to get a pinch louder, but for my tastes and everyday listening it's generally more than enough. For SPL purposes 2 12's has the potential to get louder than a single 15 due to the difference in cone area, however the enclosure for a single 15 is generally a little smaller than for 2 12's. It really all just comes down to the results a person is really seeking. I don't think there's enough of a difference in sound from an 8 to an 18 in the optimum settings to argue anything about sound quality for different sizes, just sheer output IMO.

Really? I was told by some people on another forum that as you got bigger the sound was less punchy and tight. Is that not true? Can a 15 play through a super intricate bass line as tightly and accurately as a 10 could?

yea, its a common misconception that a smaller woofer can't "pick up" the lows like a larger woofer. How a woofer responds is dependent on the box/install; not the woofer size. Also, different vehicles changes everything. I don't understand it but cabin gain is responsible for this. This is why the two type R's you heard sound different. Plus, your conclusions aren't valid due to different head units, electrical, and amplifiers. TOO many variables! Besides, you'd need a meter to tell for sure (unless there was a HUGE difference).

Really? I was told by some people on another forum that as you got bigger the sound was less punchy and tight. Is that not true? Can a 15 play through a super intricate bass line as tightly and accurately as a 10 could?

Yea, as long as it is receiving clean/sufficient power.

I have been thinking about this for some time as well.

All else being equal, what are the advantages of a bigger subwoofer besides power handling?

I'm sure that's true but to the ear I've found that different sizes of the same sub produce slightly different characteristics. The other day I listened to two type rs next to each other both boxes built to specs both tuned to 30 Hz. And I could easily year the difference. I just wanna know why that is. And there's isn't a specific install I'm just trying to gain some knowledge. The specific goal is purely to compare and contrast different woofer sizes and see what people in general think about different sized subwoofers.

2 installs are never the same. ;)

psychoacoustics is your answer. And for the question about why bigger subs? its because cone area increase is like power increase, more output. But there are lots of things that can go differently.

Whatever other forum that is they have NO idea.

I listen to a wide variety of music on my 18 BTL and have yet to notice any "slowness" or "looseness" Like said above its all install dependent.

I don't know, my 15" Funky Pup is quite a bit slower in response than my IT 10s. I hook it up to the battery and it takes a little while for it to fully pop out, while the 10s just go BOOM.

You got some bad ass ears to hear differences, on installs right next to each other.

Spanky, what forum told you that?

All else being equal, what are the advantages of a bigger subwoofer besides power handling?

90% of the time that is not the case. Normally the one and only thing that changes is cone area, motor, coil, softparts, they are all the same so power handling is not effected.

90% of the time that is not the case. Normally the one and only thing that changes is cone area, motor, coil, softparts, they are all the same so power handling is not effected.

Right. Most models of subs use everything the same for each size of sub except for basket size and cone size. In this case the power handling among different sizes would be exactly the same. However, the slightly larger moving mass from the increased cone size can slightly shift several parameters. Is it enough to be heard, maybe. Sometimes a 15" in this scenario has an fs 3-5 hz below the 12", which may be discernible. Having boxes at the same tuning might actually make the difference more audible due to the difference in frequency response. If you want to compare the different sized subs in similar boxes, you actually need to equalize the Qtc and the f3 point of the boxes. That may mean you have to tune the 12" to 29 or 32 hz, or whatever.

Some models of subs actually use different motors, or at least coils, in their different subs. I know I've seen lines where the 10" and 12" use a 2" coil, whereas the 15" uses a 2.5" coil. I think MTX used to do that. Alpine might also have. In that case, nearly all bets are off depending on how closely the manufacturer wanted to make the specs. The 15" could be such a different animal that it could actually belong in its own model line and not grouped with the 10 and 12 inch versions. Or they could make it so that the 15" has very close specs to the other sizes by machining the motor a little differently.

Right. Most models of subs use everything the same for each size of sub except for basket size and cone size. In this case the power handling among different sizes would be exactly the same. However, the slightly larger moving mass from the increased cone size can slightly shift several parameters. Is it enough to be heard, maybe. Sometimes a 15" in this scenario has an fs 3-5 hz below the 12", which may be discernible. Having boxes at the same tuning might actually make the difference more audible due to the difference in frequency response. If you want to compare the different sized subs in similar boxes, you actually need to equalize the Qtc and the f3 point of the boxes. That may mean you have to tune the 12" to 29 or 32 hz, or whatever.

Some models of subs actually use different motors, or at least coils, in their different subs. I know I've seen lines where the 10" and 12" use a 2" coil, whereas the 15" uses a 2.5" coil. I think MTX used to do that. Alpine might also have. In that case, nearly all bets are off depending on how closely the manufacturer wanted to make the specs. The 15" could be such a different animal that it could actually belong in its own model line and not grouped with the 10 and 12 inch versions. Or they could make it so that the 15" has very close specs to the other sizes by machining the motor a little differently.

My V1 MOFOs are like this. The 15" I had last year had a 4" voice coil and a 340oz motor, where the 12" I have now has a 3" voice coil and a 270oz motor.

As for the different size subs, what I have found out is it's all about properly taking advantage of the room you have to work with. You can get better output and sound by using 1 12 in an optimal ported enclosure, if that's what you have room for, than just cramming a 15 in not enough airspace.

As for the myth that bigger subs get lower, I'll leave you with this:

Alpine does indeed do this from their 12 to 15 model

Kicker too, on the CVR line I know that :peepwall:

one 12", its funny to see there faces when i whoop up on em ;)