bigmikekc

i was thinking

so i was thinking about getting a ssd 15 for christmas but i didnt wanna wait that long so i started looking for a job haha. anyways i was thinking that if i get a job i could get 2 ssd 12s and a saz-1500. would that be a good set up? also i was thinking about buying one ssd 12 when i get some money and run her off my alpine mrp-m500 and then get the amp and other sub later. i heard that the alpine mrp-m500 is not good for a sub because it has a set subsonic filter at 15hz so could that amp hurt that sub?

Don't think it would necessarily "hurt" your subwoofer but if not set properly could hinder it's performance.

you could get an external SSF for that amp.

you could get an external SSF for that amp.

i didnt even know they had those lol. i will look for one

cant find a external SSF. can someone send me a link for some?

Edited by bigmikekc

I would not run that amp regardless of the driver due to the fact that the ssf is set at 15hz, as suggested by watts put a ssf in between your amp and driver and you shouldn't have any issues :drink40:

Using a fixed ssf at 15hz isn't going to "hinder performance", it will destroy your driver (if your using a ported enclosure) It'll allow your driver to bottom out and kill it's self, unless your enclosure is tuned around 15hz... which wouldn't be very good for car audio :)

Now if your going with a sealed enclosure then you won't need to worry about the ssf, but I'm guessing your going to want a ported enclosure to get the most output from your drivers...

Good luck :drink40:

I would not run that amp regardless of the driver due to the fact that the ssf is set at 15hz, as suggested by watts put a ssf in between your amp and driver and you shouldn't have any issues :drink40:

Using a fixed ssf at 15hz isn't going to "hinder performance", it will destroy your driver (if your using a ported enclosure) It'll allow your driver to bottom out and kill it's self, unless your enclosure is tuned around 15hz... which wouldn't be very good for car audio :)

Now if your going with a sealed enclosure then you won't need to worry about the ssf, but I'm guessing your going to want a ported enclosure to get the most output from your drivers...

yeah i like ported and thats what i have now. i have only bottomed out once and that was because the song had so much bass it was crazy, well not on my alpine type r 10 but on a dc xl 18.

also i want to know how much of a difference i will hear between one type r 10 and two ssd 12s. i no its all about the install and car and stuff but would the 2 ssd's be alot louder since more cone area and more watts?

You could run it sealed until you get another amp.

1500 and 2 12" ssd's woul;d be a great set up.

true ****. i still have like half that sheet of mdf from my box build is that enough to build a sealed box?

true ****. i still have like half that sheet of mdf from my box build is that enough to build a sealed box?

We can't know lol,

but anyways hit me up if you want any help, i'll be wanting some help deadening the stang ;)

Very true but that is only contingent on if you play music below the tuning of your enclosure so if you dont know every frequency range in the music you play then I wouldnt use that amp with a ported box configuration.

We can't know lol,

but anyways hit me up if you want any help, i'll be wanting some help deadening the stang ;)

sure man just hit me up. i have never deadened before but i can learn

ZOMG I must have destroyed my subs all these years...I've yet to run a subsonic and I've NEVER blown a speaker.

ZOMG I must have destroyed my subs all these years...I've yet to run a subsonic and I've NEVER blown a speaker.

Fi suggests always using a SSF.

Remember, normal users here, not an experienced veteran :)

Nothing wrong with not running a SSF or even a fixed SSF. Just be smart when setting up your amplifier and make sure your ported enclosure is correct.

Don't think it would necessarily "hurt" your subwoofer but if not set properly could hinder it's performance.

you sir are wrong... prolly why your blowing subs your self.

Yes, and this thread is a perfect example of why. Too many people don't know what a SSF is for and the role it CAN play in protecting your subs. Nothing is a substitute from maintaining control of the loose nut on the volume knob or understanding that when you tune high to get loud, you do so at the cost of any power handling at lower freqs. That is when you need a SSF. A properly tuned system actually meant to play music should have no use for one. Chances are that the SSF on the Alpine has more to do with the function of the amp rather than to protect subs.

ok well im still pretty new to this so i think a will just save some money for a new amp and the ssd. is there some way to wire the amp so im not over powering the ssd that i get first? since the amp puts out 1500 is there a way to only give my first ssd like 1000 watts?

Fi suggests that because they are the ones who have to repair the drivers after some kid tries to play a 15hz tone through their sub in a box tuned to 40hz with 2.5kw on a 1kw rated driver because it impresses their friends and makes the sub move a lot.

Fi suggests that because they are the ones who have to repair the drivers after some kid tries to play a 15hz tone through their sub in a box tuned to 40hz with 2.5kw on a 1kw rated driver because it impresses their friends and makes the sub move a lot.

i would never try that. every time my friends are in my car there like "lets here what your sub can do" and they try to turn it up super loud and turn the bass boost on and i say your going to blow my sub then i turn the bass boost off and turn it down to 24 because my HU can go to 35 so i never turn it past 3/4 volume.

We all know that 25hz under tuning always creates more DEEBEEZ

:drink40:

i would never try that. every time my friends are in my car there like "lets here what your sub can do" and they try to turn it up super loud and turn the bass boost on and i say your going to blow my sub then i turn the bass boost off and turn it down to 24 because my HU can go to 35 so i never turn it past 3/4 volume.

Reaching for the volume in my car is a good way to lose a hand...

or a longggg walk home

ok well im still pretty new to this so i think a will just save some money for a new amp and the ssd. is there some way to wire the amp so im not over powering the ssd that i get first? since the amp puts out 1500 is there a way to only give my first ssd like 1000 watts?

Just leave the gain down. You can train your ears to pick up distortion when the sub is overpowered. Also, look for overexcursion at any frequency played.

or a longggg walk home

This is very true for me too. Excellent read guys.