getbent

sefugi schools grasshoper

Im sefugis addopted son so what do you guys think about anouther fathe / son build by the master Gi  

68 members have voted

1. 1. who wants to see this build happen

[Awesome work guys!@

Thanks!!!! Need some sauce to go with this spaghetti of wiring...

A good chunky tomato basil would be the choice.

I'll see if I can't get my wife to get a pot started!!

What time would you like us over for dinner?

Should we bring anything? :bump:

[Awesome work guys!@

Thanks!!!! Need some sauce to go with this spaghetti of wiring...

A good chunky tomato basil would be the choice.

I'll see if I can't get my wife to get a pot started!!

What time would you like us over for dinner?

Should we bring anything? :bump:

Anytime is fine... some garlic bread and a bottle of wine for the ladies!!! :drink40::popcorn:

Them poor u-joints. How long until that RAT spits the driveshaft out.:peepwall:

Props to you guys for re-wiring the harness. Thats actually my favorite thing to do. And If all else fails theres always a Painless wiring harness that will work.

Them poor u-joints. How long until that RAT spits the driveshaft out.:peepwall:

Props to you guys for re-wiring the harness. Thats actually my favorite thing to do. And If all else fails theres always a Painless wiring harness that will work.

Thanks, when the shaft was cut down and rebalanced the u-joints were replaced with stronger units(not sure on the brand) so hopfully it will hang for a while. The harness is taking a while but I do enjoy the challenge of rewiring it. Spark chasing can be difficult but fun at the same time.

Wow, guys. Nice job so far. Subed and will be waiting for updates every day. :popcorn:

I do have one question though why a HEI and carb? Why not go with fuel injection?

Though, in all honesty: :nothingtoadd::P (or start)

Wow, guys. Nice job so far. Subed and will be waiting for updates every day. :popcorn:

I do have one question though why a HEI and carb? Why not go with fuel injection?

Though, in all honesty: :nothingtoadd::P (or start)

:thanx: Getbent(grasshopper) is into old school so he wanted to go the carb & HEI road, maybe we could get him to chime in and expand on this a little if I'm off base.

Thanks again for the post and :WELCOME: to the forum!!!!

Time for some updates...It seems this build is really dragging, but when you are completely rebuilding the wiring harness and redesigning the drivetrain it takes as long as it takes especially when you are trying to go the extra mile to make sure it is done right. So on to the updates. If there seems to be to many pics of wiring to bad just passing along how much has been done and the pics don't show the half of it. On to the pics...

Various shots along the way...

img3772.jpg

By grasshoper at 2010-11-05

img3773l.jpg

Figuring circuits and location of were they need to be.

img3774n.jpg

img3775c.jpg

Grounding circuits have been relocated and lengths adjusted...

img3776c.jpg

img3777n.jpg

img3784t.jpg

img3787r.jpg

This is the overall harness built other than connecting the few circuits for the relays and the new guages that will be installed in the dash

img3786b.jpg

img3788l.jpg

img3789.jpg

img3790k.jpg

img3791b.jpg

img3792s.jpg

That's the end of actually building the harness, next we will get to installing it under the hood.

Qucik prep for the beginning of phase 2 of this project. Installing the 1/0 grommet in the firewall.

img3778.jpg

img3779r.jpg

img3780n.jpg

img3781n.jpg

img3783n.jpg

img3826.jpg

By grasshoper at 2010-11-06

I know this is something simple but is part of the install that I don't recall seeing in any of the builds I've looked at so far.(of coarse I may have missed a few along the way)

Now it's time to get the relays setup for the few circuits that need modded since there is not a computer to control 2 of the circuits plus the addition of 2 circuits.

Quick diagram for the relays.

img3794g.jpg

Relay pack.

img3795iv.jpg

Relays harnessed up and ready.

img3797s.jpg

Harness is in place under the hood and here is were the relays will go.

img3796k.jpg

A little fun while getting the realys mounted. Gotta make sure the are straight.

img3807l.jpg

img3808ab.jpg

Various pictures of the wring around the engine bay...

img3798.jpg

img3810l.jpg

img3811i.jpg

img3812l.jpg

img3813s.jpg

img3814t.jpg

img3799e.jpg

img3800y.jpg

img3801iy.jpg

img3802.jpg

img3803w.jpg

img3804.jpg

img3809.jpg

Just a few more connections under the hood to take care of, still lots to do in the dash for the new guage package. Comments, questions or whatever is on your mind post it up. We understand this is not an audio install at this point, but we do want to hear your comments on this phase of the project. Thanks, and stay tuned!

Very nice job of turning a mess into a clean purpose built harness, it looks great. :fing34:

It has to drive you nuts making sure the right size ring terminals and other connectors are in the correct place.

I assume you must have allot of different size connectors on hand.

Strain reliefs are cheap and work well. :drink40:

From my sa-8 build. I put the big end on the inside so it wouldn't get damaged.

gallery_11963_485_383099.jpg

Very nice job of turning a mess into a clean purpose built harness, it looks great. :fing34:

It has to drive you nuts making sure the right size ring terminals and other connectors are in the correct place.

I assume you must have allot of different size connectors on hand.

Strain reliefs are cheap and work well. :drink40:

From my sa-8 build. I put the big end on the inside so it wouldn't get damaged.

:thanx: We feel that it has turned out well so far, of course it's easy to say that when we havn't put any power to it yet, that will be the real test along with checking each of the circuits.

Yes having the different branches of the harness in the right spot was a challenging part of the harness. Grasshopper made sure my electrical supplies were well stocked going into this project. He has commented on the fact of having the right supplies and tools available can make or break you on an install.I

Strain reliefs, must have had a senior moment, I do remember that tip in your thread. :fing34:

The wiring harness loOks oh so Clean Jellybean, as I am sure that was your intentions.:P What sensors and circuits did you have to eliminate? What are all the relays for?

The wiring harness loOks oh so Clean Jellybean, as I am sure that was your intentions.:P What sensors and circuits did you have to eliminate? What are all the relays for?

Thanks!!! To many circuits controlled by the computer to list: MAP, TPS, temp for comp., factory trans speed, neutral safety switch, 02 sensors(4X), all the fuel injection circuits, etc.

As far as relays we needed a relay for the fuel pump since it was origanally turned on by the computer.

Second we needed a relay to turn the positive A/C signal into a negative signal to trigger the factory relay for A/C clutch

I thought it would be a good idea to use relays to trigger the new fan control module power and the carb. choke coil.

That makes the 4 now mounted on the firewall. :fing34:

So did you eliminate the ECM and make everything a stand alone circiut? I guess I let the enclosed fuse box throw me off.

You guys where doing all aftermarket gauges, Right?

This thread is making me want to work on my 72' Blazer.:popcorn:

So did you eliminate the ECM and make everything a stand alone circiut? I guess I let the enclosed fuse box throw me off.

You guys where doing all aftermarket gauges, Right?

This thread is making me want to work on my 72' Blazer.:popcorn:

Yes the ECM is long forgoten...all circuits previously powered by ECM are now stand-alone. We have not started testing on all the circuits as of yet but will just shortly. Don't forsee any problems but with all the things that have been changed we know we will have to check everything completely to verify.

Yes we are doing a complete Autometer gauge package. Have some pics of the start of this just trying to get Imageshack to cooperate. Grasshopper is working on getting a new plate to incorperate the guages into that can be modded into the dash. Hopefully we can get this under control by the end of this week.

'72 Blazer would be a really cool project!!!

ecm we dont need no stinkin ecm!!

img3824v.jpg

By null at 2010-11-06

sure gonna miss that check engine light! not !

yeah I just wanted old school under the hood and were gonna do modern sound and interior, now that the old gauges are out ,the fabrication can begin on the cluster, not sure on backing material choice yet, metal or plastic to mount the gauges, but should be pretty clean when put back togethor,

hey anybody see trucks today {on spike tv} the lizard skin spray in sound deadner, looks pretty trick, gonna be something like that in this projects future,great coverage,and thin, covers all the nooks and crannies, anyone used this product?

Damn I wish you guys were my neighbors.

VERY NICE!

Me too, I'd love to hear that Yukon!! :drink40:

Dash is out and the modding wheels are turning. Have to fit the Autometer package in the factory spot, but should not be a problem. Here are some pics.

img3817t.jpg

img3818c.jpg

img3819iy.jpg

img3820.jpg

At 205197 the old 4.3 did a good job. Now it's time to turn back the odometer to 0 and have a little more power!!

img3821y.jpg

Our project this week is to take this space below and fit the Autometer package into it.

img3822e.jpg

These are the guages going in the above space.

img3828p.jpg

By grasshoper at 2010-11-07

It sure is coming along nicely. I'll agree, not having some stupid computer tell me something is wrong with nothing will be great. KISS -Keep It Simple Saint. Waiting for more pics. :popcorn::popcorn:

hey anybody see trucks today {on spike tv} the lizard skin spray in sound deadner, looks pretty trick, gonna be something like that in this projects future,great coverage,and thin, covers all the nooks and crannies, anyone used this product?

This is the only link in the forum that I found that referenced the Liquid types of deadener: Possibly we could get some feedback from some others on this type of product.

It sure is coming along nicely. I'll agree, not having some stupid computer tell me something is wrong with nothing will be great. KISS -Keep It Simple Saint. Waiting for more pics. :popcorn::popcorn:

:thanx: I always thought it was Keep It Simple Stupid, More to come...

:thanx: I always thought it was Keep It Simple Stupid, More to come...

:WELCOME:

Well, if you want to encourage others by bringing them down "stupid" might work. Otherwise, if you want to build others up "saint" is more productive.

A gentle answer turns away wrath,

but a harsh word stirs up anger.

-Proverbs 15:1

No, i'm not gonna go crazy religious on you. :lol2:

But, there is some great wisdom in the Bible that we all could live our lives by and be better off.

:fing34: