puntaz

sax-1200d + 2x CDT QES2010

Looking for some info. I'm running 2 CDT QES1020 10"s in a ported box with a SAX-1200d. When I connect 1 sub the thing freaking shakes. It vibrates my mirrors and just sounds amazing. However when I connect the 2nd one, the audio tapers off, it sounds scratchy and doesn't hit as hard. It also seems like its making a ton of port noise and less audio. I checked all my connections and my +'s and -'s are connected per the manual. I'm not bridging or anything, just + to + and - to - for the 2 speakers on the 2 outputs.

Any advice on something else to check? I've also swapped speakers and output ports. Anytime I have 1 connected no matter the output port, or the sub it rocks. Soon as I get 2 connected it goes to crap.

Here is a thread with pic's.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-visual-audio-discussion/114426-2-cdt-gold-10s-tech12-box.html

Edited by puntaz

are your subwoofers wired in phase?

Subs wired out of phase! Double check your wiring.

out of phase meaning a + and - is reversed? they are single voice coil woofers BTW. I'll google and see what i can come up with for out of phase :)

nevermind, you guys rock. thank you so much. speakers were out of phase. going for a test drive and will report back how it sounds :)

i've searched but couldn't find any info. is there a link or guide to the settings on the sax-1200d for what the knobs mean? i understand gain setting, but not sure of the others besides the phase control and crossover. thanks!

subsonic should be 4-5 under your tuning frequency, LPF should be around 70-80hz (user preference), and you don't need to touch phase or bass boost.

thank you. currently i have everything maxxed. gain 95%, subsonic 1hz, bass boost max, phase 0. i've been adjusting the remote gain to control the amount of bass, and just going from almost off to almost wide open between showing it off and daily listening. these subs seem to be very power hungry and without the stuff almost max, it doesn't thump nearly as hard.

thank you. currently i have everything maxxed. gain 95%, subsonic 1hz, bass boost max, phase 0. i've been adjusting the remote gain to control the amount of bass, and just going from almost off to almost wide open between showing it off and daily listening. these subs seem to be very power hungry and without the stuff almost max, it doesn't thump nearly as hard.

:ehh:

Now that the subs are on phase sounds like a cheap low v pre out and headunit and amp settings are out of wack this will yield smoke

please sell me your amp before you do something to completely incinerate your entire setup :suicide-santa:

i'm not a retard, just don't sit around playing with stereos 24/7. i'm running CDT gold qes 1020 subs and a kenwood 9140 headunit. http://www.cdtgold.com/pdfs/QES-1020W.pdf

i've requested the build specs of my box so that i know what it is tuned to. I do know it is ported. Would it be possible that the 1200D is too small and I could be running the 1500?

My thoughts from what you have posted and the equipment you are using is that first, with the 2-4ohm subs you are not getting full potential (500-600watts)from the amp. Secondly I beleive the CDT subs you are using are more of a SQ type of sub, which to me I think you are expecting to much of them. Now I will say that I have not used the CDT subs before so I don't know what they are capable of as far as loudness. Maybe someone else will chime in and give their thoughts.

thanks for the reply. currently they get LOUD. I mean i think my rear view mirror is going to fall off. I'm just asking about the settings mostly so I know what they actually mean and what warnings i should use regarding the gain/bass boost settings. it seems i shouldn't run them as high as i do, however i figured with the remote gain i could always fine tune it from the drivers seat. i'm going to see if i can turn anything down and still get the same results and will report back.

by the way, wheres the best place to meter your system? best buy or a custom shop?

I would start by saying to turn the bass boost off. The remote only controls the gain not the boost. The bass boost seems to end up causing problems with clipping and tearing up equipment. A custom shop might be better for finding a meter.

awesome thank you. i verified everything and found one of the terminal cups wired wrong, so i corrected that to put the subs in phase. i reduced the gain to 75% and bass boost to around 4db. I lowered the subsonic to 20hz and will try it out for awhile and report back :)

hey puntaz, are you sure you know what you are doing?

Why in the world would you start by putting max bass boost, full gain and subsonic at min?

Im surprised your subs didnt blow, or maybe they did who knows.

hey puntaz, are you sure you know what you are doing?

Why in the world would you start by putting max bass boost, full gain and subsonic at min?

Im surprised your subs didnt blow, or maybe they did who knows.

actually i started off with everything at min and tried adjusting the gain and bass boost slowly however only after getting past 80% did the subs actually thump. I believe I need a larger amp or I'm going to have to turn the gain and bass all the way up again. At 75% gain i had the volume almost all the way up for it to sound decent.

Do you understamd that you are only getting 500-600 rms out of that amp because you are at a 2 ohm load? I would suggest having a custom box built for one and for two maybe get some better subs that will wire down to 1 ohm so you can tap the full potential of that awome amp you have.

NEVER USE BASS BOOST OR THE LOUD BUTTON ON YOUR HEAD UNIT! NEVER!

lol, better subs? so the 1200D is only putting out 500 RMS since its a 2ohm load and its being shared by 2 subs so basically 250 per sub? if that were the case shouldn't i be running the 1500D since these are 500 rms subs?

Edited by puntaz

lol, better subs? so the 1200D is only putting out 500 RMS since its a 2ohm load and its being shared by 2 subs so basically 250 per sub? if that were the case shouldn't i be running the 1500D since these are 500 rms subs?

buy the sounds of it you need to get different subs (ie different coils)...... 1500 is 500 bucks.... the 1200 is a good amount of power if used correctly**** scratch that maybe a 1500 is your best choice just looked up price on those 10s

Edited by tyoung515

I wasn't putting your subs down as I am not familiar with them at all. I only meant better as in better for your application (being able to wire to 1 ohm).