sundownz

Sundown X-8 Work in Progress

Jacob, any idea of box recomendions? im currently working on one thats about 2.4 cubes for my current 4 sa-8s and will be surly stepping up to these when they come out. would that be ideal for the X-8s on a saz3K :morepower1:

My initial thought is anywhere from 0.6 to 1.2 cubes vented... but testing will be done to see how it stacks up in reality.

You will need to cut the holes out larger for these if the box was made for SA-8s, FYI.

oh yeah, forgot i did read that. just a matter of changing the baffle. sounds like maybe ill build a hair bigger volume, say .75 per driver and just be easy on the SAs untill then.

i don't believe i have ever seen anyone use a tall surround with a single spider that has such deep rolls. most would use dual spiders with a spacer to combat coil rock which is usually prone with tall narrow surrounds.

i like seeing someone willing to spend the time and money to try something different. most companies would instantly scoff at the idea instead of trying it.

Both the surround and spider are made from thick and strong materials -- they have alot of lateral stability built into them.

The surround is also still wider than it is tall at 24mm tall x 28mm wide -- this is quite similar to our SA-12 surround which is 21mm tall x 28mm wide. Being attached to an 8" frame makes it look super tall in the rendering, but it's really not unusually tall.

As for not using spaced spiders -- we have 52.0mm from surround landing to spider landing vs. 44.0mm from spider landing to top plate -- the larger top distance provides more stability.

We have been working on 8s for quite some time -- starting with the E8... and I've never been totally happy working with a stock frame. So I've now decided to do something about it :fing34:

okay yea that is definitely not as bad as the drawing appears cool, i always have enjoyed 8's my very first system back 14 yrs ago was 4 kicker impulse 8's, and i have been keeping my eyes peeled for some kind of a replacement for some tired tc1000 8's i have. really looking forward to these.

this is going to be the best 8 ever good shit

Dont say stuff like that lol because its going to make jacob go above an beyond as he always does!! Any idea on rms yet? I cant wait to see the actual product.

this is going to be the best 8 ever good shit

Dont say stuff like that lol because its going to make jacob go above an beyond as he always does!! Any idea on rms yet? I cant wait to see the actual product.

From the very first post.

Developing a 600-watt RMS 8" woofer with fully custom frame, cone, surround, spider, etc...

Frame supports ~35mm one-way linear travel and the soft parts support that as well. Design is motor limited to 19mm linear one-way and 30mm before leaving the gap -- so it will be VERY difficult to reach mechanical limitations even by accident on SPL burps.

The soft parts, frame, and so forth are VERY over-engineered to support any future motor designs I may desire to produce... meaning you may see a true high linear stroke "SQ" style design with these parts later on -- but first we are staying true to Sundown heritage and designing a super rugged "daily" woofer that will produce excellent SPL numbers as well.

I was speaking in reguards of the other woofers based off this design jacob clearly stated an sq model etc.

I was speaking in reguards of the other woofers based off this design jacob clearly stated an sq model etc.

Haven't really started on the other designs yet -- need to get this one done.

We even put a shorting ring inside the magnet ID -- will give us a nice linear Le curve to go with the awesome suspension and healthy x-max -- nice low distortion driver all in all :)

Damn your always at it! A little off topic, but how is the new Zv3 woofer coming? I really want some 10s!!!

this is off topic..yo jacob can u send me some stickers for my b-day thanx

Edited by 97T5WAGONPIMP

Jacob, This time when they bite it I hope it tastes like ish in their mouths. There will no 8" platform on the market that will be able to touch it. Nothing.

The Regressive Spiders are just beautiful.Glad to see them actually being put to use in the real world. Also the new triple joint tooling. Can't wait to get my hands on this new tool. I'm ready for testing!!!! When you get a chance email me the projected TS if you have time. I would like to model it just too see what alignments I will be using on this platform.

just to be clear where would this sub lay in the order of SPL performance in your line of subs...

EI

1 NSv1

2 ns v2

3 Zv1.

and so on....

i dont even know if im making question clear.

no?

with good reasons ha ha

ok im wondering..

where would this sub be in the sundown line up...... IF you were line these up from entry level to pro level where would this sub be.

example

1 the nightshade v2 ( being the best)

2 Z V3 (being second best )

3 sa )being the entry level)

something like that...

i dont feel im able to convey my self very well... i just sent you an email too i hope it was less confusing then this..

Basically... initial estimates are coming in pretty well identical to the X-12 woofer (285 MAP).

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94289-sundown-x-12-prototype/

Not a huge surprise as this has the same motor size... considering all the custom tooled parts above that it's actually a deal, IMO :drink40:

I am going to call later to confirm all the estimates I got this morning as I'm not 100% clear on all the details without the call.

I may be able to pre-sell them for in the area of 225-250 or so with possible discounts on multiples.

----

Worst case if my estimates need some adjusting we may have to go to ~$300 MAP on this driver.

But... lets think about it and compare to the other "king" of 8" woofers on the market today :

Linear x-max is identical to the 8W7 @ 19mm one-way... X-8 has a shorting ring which the W7 does not.

Will handle WAY more power than the 8W7 does thermally... much stronger motor so way better for SPL... will weigh nearly 2x more due to that fact.

Funny enough.. exact same mounting dept @ 6.83" -- OD of the 8W7 is 8.5" and ours is 8.9" -- so actual SD is nearly identical to the 8W7 due to their surround attachment method.

Our cone will make theirs look sickly in strength as it's a high carbon fiber paper blend with molded ribs.

We will have coil options which the W7 does not have (D2 and D4 for us)

Lowest price I can find on an 8W7 is $275 from OCS with a 30-day warranty... pretty well the same as our authorized price with a 2-year warranty and our driver has many advantages as listed above. Authorized on the 8W7 at Crutchfield you are looking at $440 -- the X-8 is a steal by comparison.

----

I will confirm pricing estimates as soon as I can... but I am very pleased so far.

Bring it on!!!! im ready already

Got the information I was unclear on -- it is leaning towards the $300 MAP side.

I will still be looking at the mid 225-250 pre-order, though ! So I advise picking them up early to get the best deal as it will be the new king of 8" woofers :)

Really liking this. I have two 10" TC PRs I have been waiting to use when the right 8 came along. Looking forward to the preorder. I have been watching your stuff for a while now-- keep up the good work! Cheers bud!

Still salivating over this. Can't wait for updates!

Still salivating over this. Can't wait for updates!

Same here :) I am expecting some parts to be rolling out within a week or two.