Ackrite

First Post, Possible Setup

Hey guys this is my first post here, love the website. Anyways, i just purchased a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic reg. cab a few months back and the stock radio is driving me crazy! What im trying to achieve is a SQ oriented system, not necessarily competition quality but enjoyable SQ for all types of music from bass heavy rap to country to classic rock and everything else in between. I would like it to sound good at both low and high volumes and when needed/wanted a lil thump. Im trying to keep the install as stock looking as possible. So here’s what ive sketched up. Please give input on what you guys think, Thanks in advance.

Head Unit - Alpine INA-W900

Speakers - Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2

Subwoofer - Fi Audio SSD (unsure of 10" or 12" & ported or sealed due to space restrictions)

Amps - Sundown Audio SAX-125.2 & SAX-1200D

And plenty of sound deadening

Possiblly placing the speakers in an setup like this:

5187210292_large.jpg

Possiblly placing the speakers in an setup like this:

5187210292_large.jpg

NO!!! Damian is a nice guy and clever with tools, but his initial version of that setup had me baffled from the get go. Complete defeats the purpose. Mount them to the doors via a baffle, not the super cheap GM plasti-crap.

:WELCOME:

Welcome

welcome sir!

Thanks guys. Hey M5 are you referring to the ABS plastic damian uses to have the baffle sit flush with the door panel? would i be better off fiberglassing like his second attempt?

Thanks guys. Hey M5 are you referring to the ABS plastic damian uses to have the baffle sit flush with the door panel? would i be better off fiberglassing like his second attempt?

Not at all. The whole idea of mounting to the door card is TERRIBLE. You need to mount them to the metal part of the door to a robust baffle.

Not at all. The whole idea of mounting to the door card is TERRIBLE. You need to mount them to the metal part of the door to a robust baffle.

Oh alright understood. So pretty much fab up a MDF baffle and install directly to the sheetmetal of the door itself. Hmmmm that way i could still use the factory grille, correct? i guess first thing first i have to get the speakers and play around with the placement, because like i said SQ is my main goal and that location just might work out.

Depends on your definition of SQ.

I have a Silverado, have since yanked my system as the truck is almost for sale. The midbass will be much better in the doors. If your definition of SQ requires a big fat stage, then you are going to want to get the other drivers up a lot higher, but the Silvy dash is horseshit for doing that. Everything in car audio is a compromise, you just get to pick which ones are the ones that will get you closer to your goal.

As a major help, please don't say you want SQ but instead describe what this means to you in much more detail. Without that information you will just get a bunch of boner responses that won't actually help you fulfill your needs.

Have you bought your speakers yet? I sure hope not as installation is everything and until you have that nailed down you shouldn't at all be thinking about which drivers to use.

Depends on your definition of SQ.

I have a Silverado, have since yanked my system as the truck is almost for sale. The midbass will be much better in the doors. If your definition of SQ requires a big fat stage, then you are going to want to get the other drivers up a lot higher, but the Silvy dash is horseshit for doing that. Everything in car audio is a compromise, you just get to pick which ones are the ones that will get you closer to your goal.

As a major help, please don't say you want SQ but instead describe what this means to you in much more detail. Without that information you will just get a bunch of boner responses that won't actually help you fulfill your needs.

Have you bought your speakers yet? I sure hope not as installation is everything and until you have that nailed down you shouldn't at all be thinking about which drivers to use.

I have not bought anything yet, pretty much doing reserch and trying to get a good direction to which way to take this install. My goals are to achive a well blanced sound system while keeping the install look at factory as possible. Im not agaist placing the tweets hight up like the A-pillers but I would also like to keep the install simple and stright forward do to the fact that i havent been doing this for years ,like alot of new adventers im sure it will be trial and error. Like i stated before, im not looking for an award winning system just something that sounds nice and clear, tight midbass, highs that are not too harsh(I do like my music at high volumes) and a subwoofer to bring it all together. I know the Fi SSD is a nice little monster and I would like the front stage to keep up. I know budget always come into play, so im not completely set on a budget but i think around $2500 is realistic goal. Please if their is anything i have not mention, let me know. I appricate all ur help and time.

I see your in Tucson :P

If your looking for something to do on Saturday, check out the comp at hooters off tanque verde, sq judging at 8 and spl judging at 10

I'll be attending.

/End of thread jack.

Good then don't buy the overhyped way overpriced HAT stuff. WAY better options for less :)

And now onto being helpful. $2500 is a nice chunk of change to do something nice. Have you heard anything you like?

And now onto being helpful. $2500 is a nice chunk of change to do something nice. Have you heard anything you like?

Welcome to SSA. I'm sure you will find everything you need here.

And just to let you know, this is the correct guy to talk to ^^

I recommend to avoid the stock door panel location for mounting your speakers. You can spend $100's for a high end component set and still have poor imaging and reduced sound quality by mounting your speakers in the doors. Furthermore mounting your tweeters 3 feet away from the midrange will not help staging (it could work)

For you situation, your vehicle, budget and goals I recommend kick panel mounted components. Q-Logic makes prefabbed kick panels specifically for your vehicle. They also come color matched to your stock interior color. This will give you better staging and better sound quality then door mounted (dropped into factory holes) speakers. The kick panels accept a 5.25" component set. With proper setup you could even run an 8" woofed in your door for added midbass. http://www.qlogicdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=222_223_2438_2451_2459&products_id=80&zenid=e8515b37c0970b76ae5de968c213905d

I have heard the Focal 165 KRX2 and Focal 165 KR2, really loved the KRX2 but the price is out of my budget. Im sure these is something out there for half the price. Im a fan of the older boston pro's, not digging the newer boston pros, sloppy midbass and bright highs. I have seen the Q-logic kick panels but have heard mixed comments about them. Im not set on placing the speakers in the doors but like i said would like to keep it as stock looking as possible. Also would like to stick withh 6.5s also a three-way is not out of the question, but from reading i understand that the staging has to be a liittle more precise.

M5 any ideas on which speakers i should take a look at and consider? Whats your honest opinion on Sundown amps? worth the hype they get on here?

I have heard the Focal 165 KRX2 and Focal 165 KR2, really loved the KRX2 but the price is out of my budget.

Im a fan of the older boston pro's, not digging the newer boston pros, sloppy midbass and bright highs.

I am teh confused. You like the Focal's but complain of the brightness of the Bostons?

I have seen the Q-logic kick panels but have heard mixed comments about them. Im not set on placing the speakers in the doors but like i said would like to keep it as stock looking as possible. Also would like to stick withh 6.5s also a three-way is not out of the question, but from reading i understand that the staging has to be a liittle more precise.

3 way and passive is almost never good in a car, the exception being if you can mount all three drivers really close to each other.

Q-logic panels are really just a starting point. They need a ton of reinforcement and venting into the fender, but can be the cosmetic portion of your install if necessary. It really sucks to have no capability to aim as well. On top of that it is easier usually to get midbass out of a door, in particular if you are prone to cutting corners.

As for your budget and what you like, I'd spend some time listening to as many sets as you can with your music. If it is on a sound board don't expect to get an idea of midbass capability and don't listen to anything on axis unless of course it will be that way in your car. Currently I am confused as the Focal you like are way bright, but you seem to like them but not the Bostons (which I haven't heard the new ones, but it is unusual for them to be anywhere near as bright).