ATF

Front Comps

Looking to get some components for setup. Budget is about $400-$500 maybe a bit more if it'd be worth it. 2002 Malibu, want to make some kicks for em. 6.5" comps. I want to get the best sound quality possible. I don't want them to be harsh. I haven't personally heard any of these brands but i've read that Focals can be harsh. I want them to be laid back, detailed, have good midbass, Just have a great overall sound and be able to get loud to keep up with some xcon 12's. I have a few that i've looked into. So give me your thoughts and opinions and if you suggest any others in my price range. I'd be willing to spend a $100-few $100 more if i should. I'll most likely be running them off of a sax-100.4 ..

1. Zapco RH 16.2

2. Diamond Audio H600S

3. Re Audio XXX comps

4. Focal 165A3

5. Focal 165VR

Maybe can throw in some Rainbows CMX 465. Or any other Rainbows. Dynaudio 240GT. or Morels 2-ways

So i guess price range is anywhere from $400 to about $600-700

best and first advice : go listen to some comps first .

for sq I'd take the RE XXX of the list , the Focal access series of focal isn't all that eighter ,

morels sound great but take note that the Elate's and Hybrid ovation like small boxes and aren't really made to play in car-doors so a bit of extra building is required (woth it by all means) .

higher lines of Hertz , Focal , Rainbow ,Dynaudio are all good choices

I really like the Focal K2power line , but is a tad outside your budget .

and this is a PERSONAL PREFERENCE but one I'd like to share ; I pracically never look at the phaseplug models ,often the midrange is better but at the expence of kickbass

Those Focal are entry level ones. They sound good, they're nice but expensive for the results. Try to find the old models like the 165KP or K2P, they 're on sale in France. I don't know if it's the case in the USA. But I love my set of KP for 5 years !!! Not so harsh IMO.

The JBL gti 608 are "cheap" now. Try to listen to them if you can.

Good luck.

In that price range, IMO you really should be looking at an active set if you can handle it. Not sure what you have for a headunit, but if you have a 4chn amp and a $600 budget and don't have an active headunit I'd still spend $300 of it on the headunit and the other $300 on drivers. It WILL have the potential to sound better.

Well, I was initially PLANNING on doing a 3-way active setup. I was set on getting some 362 dynaudios and a pioneer dex-p99rs and maybe a 100.4 and 125.2 ... BUT i don't have too much experience with comps and on another forum I was suggested to try out some 2-ways before jumping active. I know it will take alot of tuning and time etc. I was up for the challenge no problem. But due to lack of experience with it I decided to just take it a little slow I suppose. So I narrowed my expenses down some and was looking at an "easier, more simple" system. Now I plan to get a deh-800. I need to go listen but I'm basing my purchase of comps on alot of research and reviews about each I chose. Believe me, I do want to try active still, but I don't wanna f_ck up. Lol I don't know how hard it will actually be

You won't know if you don't try !

still go listen to some comps ... get the 3way and go active and rebuild it in the car as many times as you want to get the sound right .

Start with a 2 way active set then... :)

If you have a 4 channel amp, going active is almost no-brainer... I am not sure the type of crossover that amp has, but you can get a really nice outboard one for around $100, even less used...

Also, with that type of budget, and if I were going active, you could do alot better than most of the stuff on that list.... If you are building pods could you fit a full size tweeter? (like 3.5-4" round) If so, you have literally 100s of choices if you look into the higher end "home audio" drivers...

To be honest, even the top end Focal/Dynaudio/Hertx etc are no better than the $40 tweeters and woofers you find on the home audio DIY market...

Read the tweeter tests and midwoofer tests here:

www.zaphaudio.com

You could get an idea of what I am talking about....

Additionally, $125-150 in Dayton Reference drivers (2 woofers and 2 tweeters) from Parts Express with a decent active crossover would probably (well almost definetly) be better than everything mentioned above in all but the bottom octave (say 50-100Hz)... Just some food for thought....

There is no reason for a 3-way set if you are running a substage.....

I, and a few others would be willing to help you pick some drivers out once you figure your space constraints...

Edited by 95Honda

Hey man I currently own 2-sets of Zapco RB13.2 (the blue 5.25) and let me tell you I have both sets hooked up to a 100.4 and they are amazing! my sub stage is 5krms 2-12inch NS v1 and they keep up with those no questions! very loud and not to harsh at all! keep in mind mine are the 5.25 mids they aren't as loud as I would like them but they do the job nicely!

well that is my opinion on the zapco very loud and they can keep up no issue there with the smaller set I have the midbass isn't quite there though!

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

but please don't buy based on my report of them. you need to listen to a set and go from there it is how i choose my comps! and I liked them so much I made a second purchase! my purchase price was 350/set off ebay! enjoy and I hope you find what you are looking for! I vote for zapco though lol!

95Honda, Yea i was also reading a lot about going 3-way active with subs as well. Because with 12" xcons, the midbass isn't going to be too noticeable? I need comps that are going to keep up with these but sound great as well, if i ever decide to drop one sub or anything. I do want the midbass to be noticeable though. I just went to that link you provided and there's a lot to read - In which i will tonight. lol But if going with DIY drivers is my best and cheapest bet, rather than dropping a grand on Dynaudios that might sound the same if not worse? I know it's all in the install. But so yea if nobody minds, i'd like some help with choosing some DIY drivers. Partsexpress, madisound? There are many drivers on madisound. I want a tweeter that isn't harsh, can get loud but be very detailed. I want some good midbass, but don't want to get a 7" woofer that lacks midrange? I can build pods for some 4" tweets. I only listen to rap, for the most part. BUT getting more and more into sound quality and wanting to get the most out of a system, i want my music to feel alive and have emotion that when people get in my car, including myself, they don't want to get out. And i'm going to start listening to some more music with high quality and better recordings to get the sound i want. I am willing to spend more, but for now i would say a $1000 for front stage drivers.

Just a suggestion here please ...

Please Check out Blues Car Audio ...

Thanks, Randal ...

That's what Dr. Subwoofer would do. LOL.

95Honda, Yea i was also reading a lot about going 3-way active with subs as well.

I think you should REALLY start with a 2 way. 3 way adds too many variables. As stated above it wouldn't be hard to GREATLY exceed the capabilities of the sets you are looking at, but it as you correctly stated it will take some time in the install and tuning. As for helping select drivers, it is really necessary to understand some more about your goals, installatiion locations, aiming, size restrictions and so on. Once we understand those restrictions it will be much easier to help.

Okay so i can build kicks for a 2 way. Or should i have the woofer in the door and tweeter in the pillar? Biggest woofer anywhere would be 7". I don't know which size midbass/midrange would be best, and tweeter. I'm guessing a 6.5 would be best for midrange/bass. I don't want to lack in either range. My goals are to have amazing sound, that's why i considered 3-way active. I don't just want some highs to keep up with my subs. But when i ditch the subs, or if i even go with them, i want to eventually go 3-way active and get a real small SQ subwoofer with minimal power. Eventually want to have an all out sq system. I'm not sure what to mention, how bout some questions to answer?

Thanks, Randal ...

Thank you M5/// (or deephaven, or what ever you go by these days) for those kind words of encouragement ...

Happy 5th birthday BTW ... :drink40::lol2:

I kinda figured you say something like this, So I kinda went back to see what your SSA / CA-F Supervisor (and mine for that matter) had to say about this product at the CES Show ... :fing34:

I would like to share my thoughts on the speakers and the Linear Crew.

On first appearance, I thought these speakers looked like some old school mids that some one had plucked out of a time capsule. Then Ray (Owner) started telling me everything that makes these speakers unique, especially the crossover units in the component sets. Wow, I didn't know there was that much that even went into it lol. Ray, along with the rest of the guys are very very passionate about their products and spent, from what I could tell, a large portion of their time listening and tweaking their products. Which is a huge plus in my book, showing the determination to make the "perfect" product.

On first listening, I thought they were increadibly clear and pronounced. Not to bright, not to dull. Just around right. :), after listening to them in the suite at the hotel, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to hear them in the real world application.

After jumping into Ray's truck first, I was just amazed at how good they sounded. Me being a bass head of course asked Ray to turn it up, even at full crank they were not to bright, and never broke up the entire time, wether we were listening to soft rock or AC/DC. They held their own and the sound, was amazing.

Then we jumped into Mr. World's Truck :), WOW is all I can say. I can see how this truck would win it's class at worlds. It was nothing short of amazing. The kick drum, the clarity, the quiteness, the loudness, all at the same time. WOW, like nothing i've heard before. (mind you, i'm used to 10k+ systems). Even with 250w's (If I remember right), these sounded almost as loud as my front stage. I have around 2k rms on mine lol.

In summary, these products sounded great and did the job above and beyond IMO, and the fact that the team behind is is so passionate about it, was very impressive. I would highly reccomend these products to anyone who is in love with their audio like me :woot:

Care to Check out the whole thread ... click here: http://www.caraudio-forum.com/forum/topic/14539-ces-trip/

M5///, Quit being so subjective ...

Enjoy ... :drink40:

Thanks, Randal ...

Thank you M5/// (or deephaven, or what ever you go by these days) for those kind words of encouragement ...

Happy 5th birthday BTW ... :drink40::lol2:

I kinda figured you say something like this, So I kinda went back to see what your SSA / CA-F Supervisor (and mine for that matter) had to say about this product at the CES Show ... :fing34:

I would like to share my thoughts on the speakers and the Linear Crew.

On first appearance, I thought these speakers looked like some old school mids that some one had plucked out of a time capsule. Then Ray (Owner) started telling me everything that makes these speakers unique, especially the crossover units in the component sets. Wow, I didn't know there was that much that even went into it lol. Ray, along with the rest of the guys are very very passionate about their products and spent, from what I could tell, a large portion of their time listening and tweaking their products. Which is a huge plus in my book, showing the determination to make the "perfect" product.

On first listening, I thought they were increadibly clear and pronounced. Not to bright, not to dull. Just around right. :), after listening to them in the suite at the hotel, I couldn't take it anymore, I had to hear them in the real world application.

After jumping into Ray's truck first, I was just amazed at how good they sounded. Me being a bass head of course asked Ray to turn it up, even at full crank they were not to bright, and never broke up the entire time, wether we were listening to soft rock or AC/DC. They held their own and the sound, was amazing.

Then we jumped into Mr. World's Truck :), WOW is all I can say. I can see how this truck would win it's class at worlds. It was nothing short of amazing. The kick drum, the clarity, the quiteness, the loudness, all at the same time. WOW, like nothing i've heard before. (mind you, i'm used to 10k+ systems). Even with 250w's (If I remember right), these sounded almost as loud as my front stage. I have around 2k rms on mine lol.

In summary, these products sounded great and did the job above and beyond IMO, and the fact that the team behind is is so passionate about it, was very impressive. I would highly reccomend these products to anyone who is in love with their audio like me :woot:

Care to Check out the whole thread ... click here: http://www.caraudio-forum.com/forum/topic/14539-ces-trip/

M5///, Quit being so subjective ...

Enjoy ... :drink40:

Whatever, still junk for the money. More than obvious from the parts, the build quality, the responses on other forums. Pretty easy to even make $10 Daytons sound good in a car if you know what you are doing so the subjective response from anyone isn't impressive to me. Considering that Blues has a manufacturers section on Dr. Subwoofer's forum is enough for me. LOL

Whatever, still junk for the money. More than obvious from the parts, the build quality, the responses on other forums. Pretty easy to even make $10 Daytons sound good in a car if you know what you are doing so the subjective response from anyone isn't impressive to me. Considering that Blues has a manufacturers section on Dr. Subwoofer's forum is enough for me. LOL

So you just basically called Mark's review crap and him basically a liar ... thats ok bro, got nothing to do with me ...

And to my knowledge, Dr. Subwoofer is not a moderator on any forum that I post on ... Expecially CA-F and IILE ... Someone lied to you I guess ...

So you just basically called Mark's review crap and him basically a liar ... thats ok bro, got nothing to do with me ...

And to my knowledge, Dr. Subwoofer is not a moderator on any forum that I post on ... Expecially CA-F and IILE ... Someone lied to you I guess ...

Not sure how you go from "the subjective response from anyone isn't impressive to me" to calling Mark a liar. You obviously have a serious problem understanding English.

Indeed, I was told he owned IILE. Either way another useless boner forum of people who don't know how to apply information but like big gay group hugs.

Another useless boner forum of people who don't know how to apply information but like big gay group hugs.

Its cool bro, Calm down ...

I'm not going to argue with you, not worth my time.

And I do not want to hear about how you spend your evenings or nights ...

You all have a good day ...

To the op : Best of luck with your system bro ...

Another useless boner forum of people who don't know how to apply information but like big gay group hugs.

Its cool bro, Calm down ...

I'm not going to argue with you, not worth my time.

I am calm. You have no arguments which is why you won't discuss the drivers, even on your own forums it was always left with crap subjective responses of how they sound. NEVER any fact. I am however sick of your blind recommendations of the drivers. Sure you like your install, you should, but in this case the OP has a budget, is eager to try an active setup, and wants to have something that really works. It'd be crazy to spend as much as the Blues cost for what they are, in particular when you are mostly paying for a crossover and antiquated drivers. To top that off there is nothing special about the crossover design and is definitely NOT designed in situ in the OP's car which for any optimal setup is required. Keep your boner to yourself or bring some facts to the table.

Ok, how about back to the OP's goal? :)

I want to see that.

....Sean's Boner?....

Ew.

:suicide-santa: