RaTtLz

sonosub

Hi ladiess and gents, I have been thinking about my next subwoofer enclosure. To be a little different and it sounds to be a fun project, I wanna try and build a sonotube enclosure. Has anyone here had any experiance with them, good or bad? I also scoured the web and I can't seem to find prices or anywhere that sells sonotubes by the foot. Are there other names they go by? I am getting an 18 nightshade so there will be bracing and all that stuff. I'm looking to get a 24 inch dia. tube to keep the length down. Thanks.

Ive only seen them used in HT systems or fairly small car systems.. That seems like one huge tube for 5+ ft^3

I think running an 18" Nightshade will automatically make you a little different when compared to most folks.

Ive only seen them used in HT systems or fairly small car systems.. That seems like one huge tube for 5+ ft^3

Using a volume calculator, it comes to 24" x 24" if the tube is 1/2" thick. I will be making a floor in the back. So there should be enough room.

Oh by the way, I thought about making it dual round ports on the side so it looks like a ROCKET!

I think running an 18" Nightshade will automatically make you a little different when compared to most folks.

That may very well be true! "chuckle"

:sleepwerd4:

A rocket 'shade huh, you may well be the 1st to think up that one.

The problem is going to be that the wall is only 1/2" thick.

I look at it this way. Think of it as a garbage can, when you crawl inside and push on it, you get an eliptical effect on the can. but thats only 2 poimts of pressure. well a subwoofer has infinite amounts of pressure points (pushes evenly on all sides), so when a sub hits you get a equal pressurization along all points. If I put a circle brace in the center with steel rods in the form of a triangle atound the inside dia., I feel that a .5 inch wall thickness will be sufficient.

i can special order them but they must be ordered in 12ft sections.

Contact a company near you that deals solely with concrete.

My local vendor carries them up to 36" diameter.

I've done several tube setups over the years. All worked out very well, besides the fact that the tube usually has to be a fair amount larger/longer than any conventional enclosure, though none of them were done with an 18. Looking forward to the log on this, it will be quite unique, and a challange. Good Luck!

i can special order them but they must be ordered in 12ft sections.

Contact a company near you that deals solely with concrete.

My local vendor carries them up to 36" diameter.

Thanks alot shizzzon, I'll see what I can find. could you possible give me a ballpark on what a 12 footer 24 inch dia. would cost?

i dont know about 24" but 16" 12ft long costs $79

i dont know about 24" but 16" 12ft long costs $79

ok thanks!

I have some experience in them. My first "system" was an 8" in pvc pipe lol.

They seem to work best with the port on the sub baffle vs putting it on the bottom. Getting the circle cut right is very important for sealing. Unless you are like a surgeon with a sabre saw, use a router.

If you are using a long length, you may want to add bracing atleast at the mid point. I've seen some of the longer tubes breathe under some high power.

Menards should have what you need. Or other home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot).

The home improvement stores have wimpy ones, i've bought mine at a concrete industrial supply.

yes and places like HD or Lowes only carry up to 12" diameter too.

Yea I figured the Home Improvement stuff would be to thin and crappy. 24" od diameter is huge tube for Menards.