SMpaintball78

IA flatlyne 15. i can smell it cookin

hey yall, well i finally got around to checking the coils on the flatlyne 15 i picked up a few days ago. its a dual 2 running at 4 ohms to my amp. my amp (at 4 ohms) is 500 watts. the rms is 750 so y am i smelling the coils???? im adding a second 15 so them will both be getting 500watts which shouldnt be a problem. especially if i can smell them cookin at 500 on one sub. what do u all think. y is this???

Edited by Lantz

Probably excess glue burning off.

Probably clipping the crap out of it. What are your amplifier settings set to?

i would think the flatline would handle 500-750 that that amp is throwing at it fine sounds to me like your clipping it as others have said my sa-12's got warm with my crappy power acoustik pushing maybe 700 watts to both of them i new it was clipping now i have my crescendo bc2000 and i can play that close to full tilt and they run cooler then with the acoustik

clipping = heat

Edited by smokey

Probably excess glue burning off.

If it's new then this.

Still nice to know the amp settings/box specs.

Im sorry to say this but I knew it was gonna come to this eventually, stop pushing the driver so hard since you cant tell signs of distortion.

hey yall, well i finally got around to checking the coils on the flatlyne 15 i picked up a few days ago. its a dual 2 running at 4 ohms to my amp. my amp (at 4 ohms) is 500 watts. the rms is 750 so y am i smelling the coils???? im adding a second 15 so them will both be getting 500watts which shouldnt be a problem. especially if i can smell them cookin at 500 on one sub. what do u all think. y is this???

How the hell?

Magic coils....

How the hell?

Magic coils....

if he added another wired the same it would give him 2 ohm maybe his amp pushes 1000rms at 2 ohm ?

OP: have you checked the subs coils with a dmm ? maybe its not a d2 or maybe its not wired correctly and you pushing more then u think to it

How the hell?

Magic coils....

if he added another wired the same it would give him 2 ohm maybe his amp pushes 1000rms at 2 ohm ?

OP: have you checked the subs coils with a dmm ? maybe its not a d2 or maybe its not wired correctly and you pushing more then u think to it

The way he worded it it sounded like "well the 500 will be split between them so it'll be ok"

1 daul2 can be wired to 4ohms, 2 daul 2 can be wired to 2ohms, 500watts @ 4ohms and 1000watts @ 2ohms, OP do you know what kinda power the previous owner was running to it? or what he has powering it and what is settings were, im thinking it might have got abused from the last owner

1 daul2 can be wired to 4ohms, 2 daul 2 can be wired to 2ohms, 500watts @ 4ohms and 1000watts @ 2ohms, OP do you know what kinda power the previous owner was running to it? or what he has powering it and what is settings were, im thinking it might have got abused from the last owner

I wouldnt be so quick to put the blame on the previous owner just by comments made by the OP in this thread and previous thread about subwoofer.

Clipping ? Gain set right ?

dunno !

i mean it sounds good. i had my buddy that owns/runs his own shop set all my settings on the amp. the box is 3.0CF tuned @???? haha. how can u tell if a sub is clipping????

How the hell?

Magic coils....

The way he worded it it sounded like "well the 500 will be split between them so it'll be ok"

my amp is 500@4ohm, 1000@2ohm and 1500@1ohm. i metered the sub at the amp and it read 3.30-3.50 so it has to be a dual 2 right???

CAN YOU SMELLLLLLELLLLLLLLLELLLLLLLLELLLLE what the IA. . . . . . . . . .IS COOKIN!

CAN YOU SMELLLLLLELLLLLLLLLELLLLLLLLELLLLE what the IA. . . . . . . . . .IS COOKIN!

Will we see the return of Dwayne "Flatlyne" Johnson?

:roflmao: I was tempted to make the same joke

:roflmao: I was tempted to make the same joke

im sooooooooooooooooo lost haha sorry fellas

its clipping what is you gain set at :noob:

Clipping won't cause the the problem.

yeah? clipping will send dirty power, making it heat faster. this happens alot when underpowering a sub, you push the amp to try to compensate for lack of power.

its clipping what is you gain set at :noob:

but then again, him telling you where the gain is set at will not give us any information on how much power he is giving it or if its being clipped. :noob:

yeah? clipping will send dirty power, making it heat faster. this happens alot when underpowering a sub, you push the amp to try to compensate for lack of power.

Dirty power, as opposed to un-dirty power? Tell me, have you done any thermal testing and actually measured a temperature difference between a square wave and a sine wave input signal?

Dirty power, as opposed to un-dirty power? Tell me, have you done any thermal testing and actually measured a temperature difference between a square wave and a sine wave input signal?

Comparing the power output for a sine wave vs square wave, the square wave can be up to 1.5 times the power. That's what blows speakers :gayhaaay1: