orlando144

Rounding box edges help increase SPL?

Ive seen people that compete use thin pvc pipes cut in half and taping it to the walls/edges of the enclosure. Does this help create better airflow? Increase SPL?

It can, yes. People put it on the corner above the port, when they have port back/subs up. It may help, it may not.

too many variables

Not really, smoother airflow = good

too many variables

Air does not flow through an enclosure, it's simply excited.

Only way to see is to test with an SPL Meter and see if you gain or not. In the world of SPL competition every tenth helps.

too many variables

Sorry for not saying...

I meant outside the enclosure. If the enclosure has less flat parts i would imagine airflow into the front of the cabin is reached better?

too many variables

Sorry for not saying...

I meant outside the enclosure. If the enclosure has less flat parts i would imagine airflow into the front of the cabin is reached better?

Again, there is no flow. Can it help? Maybe. Are you chasing tenths?

A lot of the testing I have seen, it did help the score. Were talking a few tenths though, so if your looking for the smallest gain for competing then try it. If this is daily then your wasting your time imo.

A lot of the testing I have seen, it did help the score. Were talking a few tenths though, so if your looking for the smallest gain for competing then try it. If this is daily then your wasting your time imo.

Even if you gain a dB it is a waste of time for a system that isn't metered.

I am going to meter my system today without the rounding then another day with the rounding. My friend competes and i asked to see if it would help him also to gain even a tenth. Just truing to learn a few tricks for when i start competing. I.m.o its good to learn. Thanks for input guys. Ill meter and see what it does. :)

I am going to meter my system today without the rounding then another day with the rounding. My friend competes and i asked to see if it would help him also to gain even a tenth. Just truing to learn a few tricks for when i start competing. I.m.o its good to learn. Thanks for input guys. Ill meter and see what it does. :)

Adjusting seat positions, ac vents, sun visors, etc will also give similar results, in the aspect that it'll help on the meter but you won't hear any difference.

Adjusting seat positions, ac vents, sun visors, etc will also give similar results, in the aspect that it'll help on the meter but you won't hear any difference.

i cant stand doing all that shit.. it erks me.. i wish i had it in me to just sit some where and do it.. but i dont have the alt for it.

i cant stand doing all that shit.. it erks me.. i wish i had it in me to just sit some where and do it.. but i dont have the alt for it.

Adjusting my seats helps me gain a tenth.

What i do is play at like half volume and try all the things listed above, to see what meters most. That way when i play full tilt i can be sure im going to get highest numbers possible.

I round my port corners, not for spl reasons, I just think it looks nice.

Just metered... 147.2@45hz outlaw style.

140.1 playing Lil wayne-she will slowed with all windows down in a Tahoe.

160.9 at port.

(1 18" Fi btl dual 2 in 6.1 cubes net on a Soundstream dtr 1.3400 @1 ohm 2200 rms)

Ill try the rounding later on. And see what it does

Decent numbers. If its daily dont worry about the numbers!

Just metered... 147.2@45hz outlaw style.

140.1 playing Lil wayne-she will slowed with all windows down in a Tahoe.

160.9 at port.

(1 18" Fi btl dual 2 in 6.1 cubes net on a Soundstream dtr 1.3400 @1 ohm 2200 rms)

Ill try the rounding later on. And see what it does

Make sure no other variables change...

My point was that you need to meter to determine if it did anything, but that the gains are nonsensical unless you are chasing readings on a meter.

you NEED a meter.

Do not try and look for "common" things that may have helped others increase their score then do it and expect a gain everytime.

Vehicles are different.. installs are different..

You need a meter on the spot when you change things and like ///M5 said, unless the goal is for competition SPL, this is a waste of time.

If you want to learn and experience the changes how they effect your base score prior to changing anything, again, you need a meter.

Driving to another location everytime you change something really isn't something i would suggest.

Let me put it to you this way-

A man loves his tools.. the more tools a man has, the more he can do...

IF i had a tool i never had before, i'd use it, know what i mean?

Anyways, if you have a meter, it would better motivate you to experience pressure changes in a LOT faster time frame.

I know one guy who never used a meter and he competed for 2 seasons...

I shake my head at him for many things he did and assumed the best....

He knows it and doesn't feel bad because he is learning and understands my point of view.

Assuming a gain in changing certain things is like assuming the world is perfect....

WE are not perfect... in terms of knowledge.

Different people have a grasp on a different amount of knowledge.

None of us are absolute experts on SPL...

But what i can tell you is there are so many variables at play, making car audio competition a hobby is fun..

You do not know what to expect..

But how do you narrow down the unexpected?

Owning a meter!

It's nice that you go ahead and research what people have had success with though!

Maybe someday, if you are motivated enough, you will be a world record holder...

WOW I WONDER WHERE HE CAN BUY ONE

Thanks for the input Shizzzon.

I have a meter at hand whenever i nee it and i just have to walk to go pick it up..

Im 17 years old and learning new stuff. Im trying to be a world record holder one day thats why im starting to look into competing from now..

Thanks to everyone for all the tips/input.

Im happy with the system :)

i hope so!

By all means, if you compete and serious, start when you are young! 17, that's young.

If you start winning state or world records at your age, be grateful!

Congratulations in the near to distant future!

Thanks man i apreciate all the help.

Adjusting my seats helps me gain a tenth.

What i do is play at like half volume and try all the things listed above, to see what meters most. That way when i play full tilt i can be sure im going to get highest numbers possible.

a gain at lower volume does NOT always equal a gain at full volume. Enclosure/cabin can react differently when pushed to the max.

See what things gain at 1/2 volume, keep a log of them, then try the ones that helped at full volume.

And it's not a waste of time if it's something you want to do whether you compete or not...