edouble101

Dayton Audio BR-1 assembly log

I am using Dayton Audio BR-1 kit Dayton Audio BR-1 kit and Dayton Audio DTA-100a amplifier. I will be using these as "computer" speakers. This is not what they are designed for but I am sure that I will be very happy with them.

I feel that Dayton Audio is a value leader with all of it's products and is often overlooked.

The kit comes with :

Two Dayton Audio DC160-8 6-1/2" woofers

Two Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" silk dome tweeters

Two crossover boards

Two 47 µF non-polarized capacitors

Two Dayton Audio 0.1 µF by-pass capacitors

Two 8 ohm 10W resistors

Two 1.8 mH 18 AWG air core inductors

Four Dayton Audio 6.2 µF polypropylene capacitors

Two 4 ohm 5W resistors

Two 10 ohm 5W resistors

Two 0.5 mH 20 AWG air core inductors

One 8 ft. 16 AWG speaker wire

Twenty-four .205" (16-14 AWG) female disconnects

Two 24" x 18" sheets of acoustic foam, 1-1/2" thick

Twenty-two #6 x 3/4" Phillips pan head screws

Acoustic foam

Dayton Audio BR-1CAB cabinets

3567SCREEN.jpg

3568SCREEN.jpg

Dayton Audio DTA-100a amplifier

3569SCREEN.jpg

3570SCREEN.jpg

3571SCREEN.jpg

Driver components

3573SCREEN.jpg

3574SCREEN.jpg

3575SCREEN.jpg

Crossover components

3576SCREEN.jpg

3580SCREEN.jpg

3582SCREEN.jpg

Cabinets

3585SCREEN.jpg

3586SCREEN.jpg

3587SCREEN.jpg

Assembly took about 4 hours. Assembly is not complicated and was designed for a beginner. The instruction manual is extremely informational and well written. There are also two videos posted on parts-express to help guide you through assembly. I found the videos to be helpful. The author also discusses how to solder for those that never have. I did not have any problems with the assembly. All pieces needed are included.

The crossovers are designed to keep the cost low and to achieve an overall flat response. The manual discusses the crossover design in depth.

The cabinets are made of 5/8" MDF and are 0.52^3ft tuned to 38hz. The fit and finish is very good.

As a type, I have listened to these speakers for less than four hours. The imaging of this set is amazing. Treble and midrange is very good. Bass response is definitley lacking. These will sound best along with a separate subwoofer. The Dayton Audio DTA-100a is 50wx2. As computer speakers this power works well. If I was to use them as bookshelf speakers I would probably power them with a 75-100w amplifier.

I do have two Exodus Anarchy 6.5 sitting around. I plan on building some sort of compact bandpass enclosure for them powered by a Dayton Audio SA240-B amplifier.

3589SCREEN.jpg

3591SCREEN.jpg

3595SCREEN.jpg

3596SCREEN.jpg

Crossover mounted in enclosure.

3599SCREEN.jpg

Acoustic foam mounted in enclosure

3604SCREEN.jpg

3605SCREEN.jpg

I used the supplied butyl rubber around the 6.5" as a gasket.

3609SCREEN.jpg

Drivers mounted in the enclosure

3612SCREEN.jpg

3614SCREEN.jpg

My desk top was too small for these cabinets. I cut a new desk top out of 0.75" MDF

3616SCREEN.jpg

I need to finish the desk top. I am probably going to paint it.

3618SCREEN.jpg

First sir your craftmanship looks amazing. This looks like a amazing project to have fun with. Something I definitely will look into it.

Excellent work, excellent photos. I would like to do something similar with different drivers. Hope you can post a detailed review.

I like those little speakers. I have built/copied/sold about 15 pairs...

Nice work edub! And as always craftsmanship and photography are top notch!!!

Thank you all for the comments. So far I am very pleased with their sound. I will post pics of the subwoofer enclosure after I have it built.

:popcorn::fing34:

I am still being amazed by these speakers. They really do sound terrific.

Painted my desk top. Turned out Ok.

3622SCREEN.jpg

I mounted Dayton Audio Speaker Spikes on my cabinets.

3631SCREEN.jpg

3623SCREEN.jpg

I am going to build a ported cabinet for my two Anarchy Exodus-EX drivers for sub bass duties. I think it will be 1.0^3ft tuned to 40hz with two 2" aero ports. Was looking at a bandpass but it doesn't model well at all for sub bass duties. I am going to power them with a Dayton Audio SA240-B plate amp. If the Exodus-EX drivers do not perform well as a subwoofer I will replace them with a 10" Fi X.

3624SCREEN.jpg

3625SCREEN.jpg

Nice work and a sweet project :fing34:

I've built a couple of these kits before as well. They do sound absolutely amazing for the price and simplicity of the setup. IMHO I thought the bass was adequate for a couple of low xmax drivers. I thoguht they'd be enough for someone without the discerning ears we have in this hobby.

Anyway, nice to see someone else giving that kit a try! Great job!

I've built a couple of these kits before as well. They do sound absolutely amazing for the price and simplicity of the setup. IMHO I thought the bass was adequate for a couple of low xmax drivers. I thoguht they'd be enough for someone without the discerning ears we have in this hobby.

Anyway, nice to see someone else giving that kit a try! Great job!

I do agree with you that the bass ouput might be adequate for the average listener. I do think that a dedicated subwoofer will be a nice addition though.

Thanks for the comments!

Have you considered the tapped horn design available on AVS forum for those anarchy woofers? Its relatively flat between 25 to 80hz.

verry nice sir !

Thank you

Have you considered the tapped horn design available on AVS forum for those anarchy woofers? Its relatively flat between 25 to 80hz.

I have researched that design. Indeed it is suppose to be phenomenal with these drivers. That design is more time consuming then I care to devote to this. There are cut pieces available but I am not spending $75 plus shipping either.

I modeled a 1.6^3ft net enclosure with two 2" ports tuned to 35hz. The ouput with 240wrms was more than a single 10" (max output isnt really a concern though). This design should play well between 30-50hz, right where I would like. I also have enough MDF laying around to build it.

Thanks for suggesting it :)