mrbobian

So many components... Help please?

So, my sister wants a audio make-over for her '05 Liberty as the stock system doesn't work well with her iPhone and speakers are pretty shot. She listens to a lot of music and A LOT of differnt types of music. Id like to hook her up with a really well rounded system that I can setup and forget it. I have a RF P300-2 Id like to use to power a nice set of comps up front and we'll probably end up going with a run of the mill Alpine HU. Its pretty hard to search for feeling on components on here becuase I feel like everyone either wants some that is just loud, or some that is way outta price range for her needs. We'd like to keep it under $200 for a set of 6.5'' comps that will be happy and dynamic on about 75watts. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Mbquart? DD? Alpine SPS? I'll probably end up giving her my RF P400-1 to pair with a sealed 8'' or similar. Generally looking for a balanced daily system that will play all types of music well. With no way to listen to any of the numerous component sets out there, I figure someone will have an opinion. Thanks in advance,

Mike B.

I'd recommend the IA components that can be found in the SSA store.

For what its worth I had the alpine type s components and was very happy with them for the money. I got them for just under $100 and had em on fairly low wattage 60rms and really liked them. Mid bass was pretty good and the highs were crisp and clean but not super harsh. Good luck. Try and listen to the set if possible first before you buy. It will sound quite different in a vehicle but it will give you a bit or an idea on display.

The problem with an opinion is just that, it's an opinion. What sounds fantastic to me could sound like absolute crap to you. You're right though, there's so damn many brands and models out there in your price range it's hard to even know where to begin to look and be any kind of objective about it. I was just looking at sets in this price range yesterday for someone local and found some great deals online on some Alpine Type R's and X's (if you're willing to spend another $20-$30), found some JBL Power series P660C's on EBAY for $125 shipped (I'm liking those at the moment), and the list goes on and on. Some sets sound great in some vehicles dropped in the stock locations with no sound deadening, baffles or anything, other's need some special installation work to get the best sound from them.

I've found there's no one way to recommend anything anymore. There's simply too many variables to know what could work right out of the box. I've come to trust brands like Alpine, JBL, Image Dynamics (dunno about the new owners/management tho), Focal, and several others of the like to work fairly well in most applications without much issue. I pretty much have to buy and try everything at this point since there's no place to go and listen to the vast majority of what's available and even when you do listen to it 99% of the time its not installed anything like I'm going to install it so the listening experience and the opinion I gather from it are flawed from the start.

I WAS happy with my JBL power series comps, until a tweeter went out after less than a year.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize I could get those Focals that cheap... I might look into those a bit more. I have a tendency to like things low, and I've ended up with a lack of midbass in the past :( Anyone had experiance with the Access searies crossed at like 70hz? These paired with a E8v3 sealed might be pretty musical I'm hoping?

After being in the business for 12 years Focal is the only brand I recommend. I personally use the Polyglass series. Your not gonna find another car audio brand that puts as much design effort in their products.

Focal's xovers are built well enough you can normally run them full range. Every high end vehicle install I've done was with Solid amps ran full range to Focal components.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

IMO those Focal's are puketastic. Absolutely do not mix with my ears....but you asked a subjective question.

IMO those Focal's are puketastic. Absolutely do not mix with my ears....but you asked a subjective question.

Well piss. Any suggestions for my general goal? If my sister doesn't like it then I'll have to deal with her... and thats not desireable...

Well piss. Any suggestions for my general goal? If my sister doesn't like it then I'll have to deal with her... and thats not desireable...

Go listen to some at a local shop. It won't tell you everything because in a vehicle things will change. At the very least find a tweeter that you like.

i dont like the polyglass either. HARSH.

Yep. I suggest you go listen to some. There will be no uniform suggestion. Obviously Quentin and I don't feel the same so that ought to tell you something right there.

After being in the business for 12 years Focal is the only brand I recommend. I personally use the Polyglass series. Your not gonna find another car audio brand that puts as much design effort in their products.

Focal's xovers are built well enough you can normally run them full range. Every high end vehicle install I've done was with Solid amps ran full range to Focal components.

Um, what? How do you figure? Obviously you've not played with much. Rainbow, Hertz, Alpine Pros, Dynaudio, Seas Lotus, DLS. . . We can go on.

Yep. I suggest you go listen to some. There will be no uniform suggestion. Obviously Quentin and I don't feel the same so that ought to tell you something right there.

Ha listening? I live in the U.P of Michigan. We are still trying to understand the fundamental difference between a harpsicord and a piano, much less find some place or someone with electronic audio equipment in their motorized people mover...

Im just trying to narrow my options down a bit. I'd bet that we would nearly all agree that a pair of AKG K702 phones sounds better than some wizzbang skullcandy headphones. With SO MANY components sets in my price range, I have limited prior knowledge and very limited resources to listen/talk with others. Hell, my nearest Best Buy is about 2 hours away. I can tell you I don't much care for my Polk db651 coaxals in an S10, no color, and the "from the factory OEM woofers," paired with some random silk tweeters from parts express, in my '88 325ix, on 75watts, leave MUCH to be desired as well...

Thanks for the input so far guys!

Mike B.

Edited by mrBobian

Lot of sets in the market !

If you can't listen to any, trust the good old brands like Alpine(r or x) or JBL. Can't really go wrong with them.

I would personally do a ported box for the small sub, to get the most out if it. I don't know this sub though, I may be wrong !

I have used afew sets of IA components and have been happy with them. Good price on them to.

Well, sometime this year I'll let you listen to my Dynoport. Braaaap right by your house.

In reality, I too would either source something used from someone you trust or stick with something a bit more mainstream. Everything is a compromise in audio once price is involved and then you add the complexity of the car and it gets way worse. Considering your budget isn't what I'd call monstrous buying something some people are happy with is your only choice if you can't go listen to anything. That makes it tough. If active were a solution it'd be easier (assuming you have processing and an amp)

The last two sets I have owned are

The Bravox 6.5" CF component set, Which to-date is my favorite comp set I've owned. They stopped selling in US IIRC, but they sounded wonderful. The second comp set I owned was the JBL P660C, great price, the tweeter is very smooth, the midbass is ok but for me it was just fine, but it leaves something to be desired from them. They also got fairly loud with little fatigue.

Ha listening? I live in the U.P of Michigan. We are still trying to understand the fundamental difference between a harpsicord and a piano, much less find some place or someone with electronic audio equipment in their motorized people mover...

Heeeeeeeeyyy... if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I'm a Michigan Tech student.

I'm not sure of your sister's ear for sound, but unless she's eccentric compared to the mainstream customer base I'd wager she would end up satisfied with any number of options within your price range. For example, the JBL MS-62c and Alpine SPR-60c can easily be sourced for within your budget and I'm going to guess would be more than satisfactory for her. Purchasing used will net you better quality per $ but isn't nearly as convenient and a bit more of a risk.

Heeeeeeeeyyy... if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I'm a Michigan Tech student.

Well I just so happen to be a Huskie as well... This is strange.

ehh.gif

3rd Year EE student - Jake Bell.

ehh.gif

3rd Year EE student - Jake Bell.

4th year biology here... Woohoo!

What do you drive? I miss my setup I had in the BMW, I deal with a stocker system now :(

Thanks for all the replies guys! I pretty much just decided to cheap out and go with some SPS due to the lack of external crossover, and figured I'd stick to the big name brand stuff. Techinally, my Dad is still the rightful owner fo the Jeep so I'm going to try to keep things a "least invasive" as possible. Should be a pretty relaxed little setup but I'll take my time with the install and I'm sure my sis will be more than happy. Itll end up with SPS 6.5'' comps powered off a RF P300-2. Lots of sound deadening for the doors. A little baby polk db840 that will get fed by a P300-1. Got a sweet little Alpine HU for her too! Should be a pretty fun install!

Anyone had any experience with those little 8'' Polks? I was thinking of running it in a little larger then suggested sealed unless someone has another idea?