Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I don't get it.  I rarely drink.  I'm through half a bottle of Disarrono and don't feel a thing.  WTF?

It's like 40 proof. And how the hell can you drink that nasty shit?

It's the only thing I can drink.  I have a disease and some stomach issues that allow only for certain "spirits," and all must be pretty mild.

And I no longer have any tolerance for alcohol.  A couple glasses of wine and I'm usually ready for bed.

I need a fucking Bridgeport.  A new lathe too.  Our fucking SB is a piece of shit.

What SB lathe?  I've got two of them here a heavy 10 and a 14.5", I would love to get a real one and ditch the SB's but its hard to get money justified for lathes when down the hall he charges me 60$/hr for CNC work.  

And I no longer have any tolerance for alcohol. A couple glasses of wine and I'm usually ready for bed.

My alcohol tolerance has been all over the place weird. I went out for Bach party a while back and drank like you are not supposed to. Had all types if different alcohol (drinks were free), smoked some stogies. Woke up the next day and did it again. No problems.

A few weeks ago I had less than half a bottle of crown over the night and felt like I was going to die the next day. I also had a night where 3 beers gave me a hangover like headache the next day but I didn't even feel buzzed after drinking them.

I felt like complete crap for the entire next day after my bachelor party.  

I don't recall the last time I woke up feeling like shit from drinking.

Maybe I don't drink hard enough?

J

the 2014 version of the Grand Cherokee SRT looks even more appealing than previous years.

4.7:1 first gear and 75 MPH @ 1500 RPM in 8th gear. Which, by my math, means 2.73 axle gears. Wonder what a set of 4.10's would do...

4.7:1 first gear and 75 MPH @ 2000 RPM in 8th gear. 3.70 axle gears. Nice.

Edited by Penguin4x4

Which also means Final Drive Ratio in First is ~17.3:1. Shit.

Not including the torque converter.

the 2014 version of the Grand Cherokee SRT looks even more appealing than previous years.

If you like polished turds.

Aaron??

h1CFA4687.jpg

How did you know what my after 8pm SSA work routine was?

So Is it actually possible to go into "starvation mode" with too few calories? I guess I mean, does starvation mode exist is the short term?

And that would include defining starvation mode (metabolism drops, or muscles are used for energy and fat stored) I suppose.

I've read eat stop eat and know it showed that metabolism doesn't drop after a 3 day fast, but for some reason I didn't know if calorie restriction would somehow lead to that or at the very least the use of muscle for energy.

Curious as yesterday I ate a huge lunch and decided it would be a good time to fast. Got up this morning and decided I would have no problem making it through the day and then eat after workout today. Ended up doing that but after post w/o, dinner and a little snack I am just under 1000 calories for the day. I feel full and satisfied so I'm killing myself, but it got me thinking.

So Is it actually possible to go into "starvation mode" with too few calories? I guess I mean, does starvation mode exist is the short term?

And that would include defining starvation mode (metabolism drops, or muscles are used for energy and fat stored) I suppose.

I've read eat stop eat and know it showed that metabolism doesn't drop after a 3 day fast, but for some reason I didn't know if calorie restriction would somehow lead to that or at the very least the use of muscle for energy.

I don't know what you are asking here... or stating. The flat out fact is after a few hours your body releases cortisol. That is starvation mode to most athletes.

As for long term food deprivation, I have no clue what it does in vivo. I doubt we have a strong idea as a peoples. People who are starving regularly have docs around to do exams.

It does some fucked up things to help us survive. We are an amazing machine.

Anecdotally, it makes some people feel refreshed afer long fasting. It gets pitched as making your body be ready for more nutrients becausenit has been without.

You can use body fat for energy, but not for everything (as VO2 goes up, less fat is used). Muscle glycogen and glycogen in liver for glucose (I forgot how many grams glycogen stores are, but I wanna say around 400g +-100g, so ~1200kcal worth of energy), and once that starts running out then muscle breaks down for protein to be converted into glucose.

So it's going to really depend on how full glycogen stores are, how long your going without eating, and what exactly your doing. <- As to the question about muscle breakdown. At least what isn't negligible. 

Edited by stefanhinote

I won't hide the fact I think the fasting thingy is complete and total BS though.

If you're trying to lose weight, and maintain muscle than I would opt for a reduction in calories per day, and keep protein high rather than fast for long periods of time.

When I did IF, it was only for 16 hours ish, and it was easy, but extending that to 24 hours+ seems a bit over the top, and likely counter productive for what you want. :P

Edited by stefanhinote

I think at the end of the day it really boils down to eating whole food, throwing out processed stuff, enough protein, and adjusting kcal intake for goals. And perhaps being smart with your meal composition and timing in regards to goals.