Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

New personal quest at the house is making clear ice cubes/spheres with no cloudy parts. 

boil the water, and use the warmest setting possible in your freezer.

Ok you gas-engine drivers...I suspect the Miata runs way too rich: black soot on the rear bumper and at WOT I can see something which looks like a mist in the rearview mirror, at night. Bad O2 sensor? Or bad injectors? 

You need to check the plugs. Pull them, take a pic, and post them.

eJO7Ooo.jpg

Damn, who puked on your 'taters?

I need about 4 M3 Socket head screws over 1". Local stores doesn't carry them. Any place that won't rape me in shipping available online?

I have the

16-35 2.8L Canon

24-70 2.8 VS Tamron

70-200 IS ii Canon

50mm 1.2 Canon

2x extender from Canon

I use them on full frame and a crop.

If I was staying with a crop I would skip the Tokina Sean mentioned and get the Sigma 1.8.

Sean you should really just try that Sigma, I bet you would sell your Tokina in a heartbeat. Especially when you start taking video of the youngins.

Nah, the 2.8 isn't really necessary when shooting wide.  I almost always have the Fstop at 11-16.  This is where the Tokina shines.  The Tokina also CANNOT be used on a full frame Canon as it is crop only.  Nikon lets you do that with built in vignetting.  18 isn't anywhere near wide enough either.  Not even close.  I'd like more than the 11 regularly...

New personal quest at the house is making clear ice cubes/spheres with no cloudy parts. 

Time for a german freezer

Ok you gas-engine drivers...I suspect the Miata runs way too rich: black soot on the rear bumper and at WOT I can see something which looks like a mist in the rearview mirror, at night. Bad O2 sensor? Or bad injectors? 

Time for a wideband :)

F stop isn't available in video mode :(  (or perhaps I need to read the manual)

Also not so sure a short FOV is what I'd want in a video of the kids.  They move so fast it isn't easy to keep anything in focus the way it is.

This is about as wide as 17 gets

Boat-Quay-2_zps6b92def2.jpg

Boat-Quay_zps9ba69fac.jpg

All you get with 11

Train2_zpse7e931bd.jpg

TraintoFlam-KjosfossenWaterfallLR_zpsdaa

Train1_zpsf08f0e2f.jpg

And here is 11 not being wide enough sad.png  

Vasa_zpsd312b09e.jpg

One of the Paris stowaways.

kI1EF8v.jpg

Blue taters taste more like taters than regular taters.

QbCKoig.jpg

slicey slicey!

tnBJiyP.jpg

eJO7Ooo.jpg

eJO7Ooo.jpg

Depth of field is all too short in these. I get dizzy looking at them. Could use that short I think if you changed them so it wasn't the center of the picture that is in focus. I am by no means an artist and only talking out my ass, but what you have shot there is exactly what frustrated me completely about the 1.4 50mm that made me nearly throw it away (to ebay). Most of Aidan's baby pictures have one eye in focus and nothing else sad.png

DOF is a great tool for telling a story, but you have to get the whole subject in focus and off center.

I'm going to need to cut some aluminum ( 1x2x0.065 rectangle tube, and 4x10x0.065 sheet). I don't know much about saw blades but I'm pretty sure I only need a carbide tip blade.

That being said, I will probably not cut aluminum again for a long while. Is there a recommended blade that can cut aluminum but will also be good for woodworking?

And I could rip into EVERYTHING I just posted as pics even more than that.

I find the 'small' screen on the camera to completely be frustrating. Things look SO different once you blow them up.

In reality with kids you don't get to set the F stop as you have to choose the shutter speed. I regularly do both, but if you aren't uber aware all the time that means you just missed the shot. You have NO time to plan as they are not planned in their actions. Once they are 8 or so perhaps, but it is the expressions they naturally give that you want to catch, not the cheesy smiles they give when they try.

My problem with the slower lenses and adjustable stops are that the image quality on all of them blow donkey in comparison. They never focus for shit and you miss too many shots. I've tried a bunch of 3.5-5.6 lenses and even ones with an L aren't worth using IMO. Doesn't mean you can't grab a great shot with a piece of shit cell phone, but it is SO MUCH easier to get what you are after with glass that responds right.

For those reasons though I don't see any benefit in the 1.2/1.4 50mm as compared to the L glass 2.8's. For DOF of course they can be huge.

I'm going to need to cut some aluminum ( 1x2x0.065 rectangle tube, and 4x10x0.065 sheet). I don't know much about saw blades but I'm pretty sure I only need a carbide tip blade.

That being said, I will probably not cut aluminum again for a long while. Is there a recommended blade that can cut aluminum but will also be good for woodworking?

The standard Freud Diablo from home depot will do just fine.  Give it a little WD-40 as a cutting fluid or some of the saw blade wax lube and it'll go like butter.  I cut wood, foam, aluminum, copper, plexiglas, acrylic, etc on my table saw and the blade was new in Sept of '13 and is now looking like it'll need replaced.  

The standard Freud Diablo from home depot will do just fine.  Give it a little WD-40 as a cutting fluid or some of the saw blade wax lube and it'll go like butter.  I cut wood, foam, aluminum, copper, plexiglas, acrylic, etc on my table saw and the blade was new in Sept of '13 and is now looking like it'll need replaced.  

Agreed. The Diablo is a damn nice blade for 2X the money

I need about 4 M3 Socket head screws over 1". Local stores doesn't carry them. Any place that won't rape me in shipping available online?

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/MS2510012A20000

They have stores in KS. Might have the length you need in stock, just not on the site.

J

Grr Monday.

F stop isn't available in video mode :( (or perhaps I need to read the manual)

Also not so sure a short FOV is what I'd want in a video of the kids. They move so fast it isn't easy to keep anything in focus the way it is.

Mess around with you 50mm at 1.4 in video.

It's extremely useful for night time shooting. Your DOF in video is much different in practice that while shooting stills.

If you are filming them really near field it might matter. I made a video of a little girl spinning in circles at 3.5 on the crop and she was just feet away. The T4i held and tracked her the whole time.

If framed better it would have been a cake walk in manual.

One of the Paris stowaways.

kI1EF8v.jpg

Blue taters taste more like taters than regular taters.

QbCKoig.jpg

slicey slicey!

tnBJiyP.jpg

eJO7Ooo.jpg

eJO7Ooo.jpg

Depth of field is all too short in these. I get dizzy looking at them. Could use that short I think if you changed them so it wasn't the center of the picture that is in focus. I am by no means an artist and only talking out my ass, but what you have shot there is exactly what frustrated me completely about the 1.4 50mm that made me nearly throw it away (to ebay). Most of Aidan's baby pictures have one eye in focus and nothing else sad.png

DOF is a great tool for telling a story, but you have to get the whole subject in focus and off center.

Ha!

So awesome. The entire point of that series was to shoot only in 1.2.

It was a challenge I gave myself. I'm doing a project where I photograph a meal every week, and I'm going to give myself a weird photo challenge with it.

This time I decided to only use 1.2

In reality with kids you don't get to set the F stop as you have to choose the shutter speed. I regularly do both, but if you aren't uber aware all the time that means you just missed the shot. You have NO time to plan as they are not planned in their actions. Once they are 8 or so perhaps, but it is the expressions they naturally give that you want to catch, not the cheesy smiles they give when they try.

I will post up some of my kids shots and such somewhere more private.

;-)

My problem with the slower lenses and adjustable stops are that the image quality on all of them blow donkey in comparison. They never focus for shit and you miss too many shots. I've tried a bunch of 3.5-5.6 lenses and even ones with an L aren't worth using IMO. Doesn't mean you can't grab a great shot with a piece of shit cell phone, but it is SO MUCH easier to get what you are after with glass that responds right.

For those reasons though I don't see any benefit in the 1.2/1.4 50mm as compared to the L glass 2.8's. For DOF of course they can be huge.

Walking around at night with the 1.2 is heaven. I will post some shots that I could not have made without it.

Other than that I agree. The 1.2 is artistic. The 2.8 L lenses are absolutely amazing.