Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Almost stopped caring about music.  Getting on stage in Japan really cured that concern.  Wish I had more time to play now.

Anyone downloaded iLivid?  Multiple live streams for the NHL games use it.  I figure it is probably okay then.  Some bad reviews online, but that is the norm for any software.  I'd prefer to watch the game instead of just listening to it.  Will be in my hotel the whole time it is on....

I've never used it, but I wouldn't install it. I would be surprised if it didn't change your search bars in your browsers, added ads to pages, and caused desktop popups.

Anyone downloaded iLivid?  Multiple live streams for the NHL games use it.  I figure it is probably okay then.  Some bad reviews online, but that is the norm for any software.  I'd prefer to watch the game instead of just listening to it.  Will be in my hotel the whole time it is on....

I've never used it, but I wouldn't install it. I would be surprised if it didn't change your search bars in your browsers, added ads to pages, and caused desktop popups.

X2 more shit software

That's how I felt too.  Found a stream on some weird ass website.  Of course in minutes STL is up 3-0 so it sucks :(

How unlearned is your guitar? I understand that you know a couple chords, but what about music in general? Do you know what the chord consists of? What is up a 5th from root, down a 5th? Any scales?

Curious as I could write out some stuff for you to start to understand, but I am not sure I am a good one to go back too far as general music shit for me was when I was still in the single digits so laying out what to learn from square 1 would be hard for me.

I am also not sure what you mean by a blues chord. There are really just chords. Base ones include 3 notes. More complex add notes like: 7, major 7, 6, 2 ,9, 13 etc. Obviously major and minor positions of each.

Not sure how anyone could be good at guitar after downing a 5th...

That and my travel schedule is jacked.  I couldn't really get there until July.

Asia this week and next, home for 4 work days then off to Germany for a week.  Then home for a week, then vacation for a week, then Boulder for a week.  Then its 4th of July vacation.

Somewhere in there I need to put the super charger on my truck and finish the stereo/carputer install

The humidity in Orlando is insane in July. At least here we get the Gulf breeze.

Sounds like one hell of a full plate.

J

It's guitar players like that which made me quit guitar as I realized I will never be able to play.  Not sure why I was worried about success so much 20 years ago. :(  I lost 20 years of playing due to my ego and libido.

And yet this is what makes me want to pick the bass back up.

J

Asia this week and next, home for 4 work days then off to Germany for a week.  Then home for a week, then vacation for a week, then Boulder for a week.  Then its 4th of July vacation.

Somewhere in there I need to put the super charger on my truck and finish the stereo/carputer install

The humidity in Orlando is insane in July. At least here we get the Gulf breeze.

J

The humidity is also a concern with a non-painted neck...

It's guitar players like that which made me quit guitar as I realized I will never be able to play.  Not sure why I was worried about success so much 20 years ago. sad.png  I lost 20 years of playing due to my ego and libido.

J

The difference is I know I'll never be as good as I want to be.  I could on the bass...but want to play guitar if I play something.  I like them both, but the challenge of the guitar is nutso.

J

If it is kept in the case it should be ok. With the level of care this guitar seems to be handled with, I could not see it having a warped neck. Hell my Dean Metalman flying V bass has some VERY minor warp due to military moving. Kinda happens when the crate is in a monsoon. Outside. Uncovered. With forklift holes in it.

Yes all the periods were intentional.

J

It's guitar players like that which made me quit guitar as I realized I will never be able to play.  Not sure why I was worried about success so much 20 years ago. :(  I lost 20 years of playing due to my ego and libido.

J

The difference is I know I'll never be as good as I want to be.  I could on the bass...but want to play guitar if I play something.  I like them both, but the challenge of the guitar is nutso.

My hand eye coordination has never been the best. I took acoustic lessons for about a year and change, and decided my fat fingers (for 13) wouldn't allow it. I changed to bass the next year, and loved it.

J

J

If it is kept in the case it should be ok. With the level of care this guitar seems to be handled with, I could not see it having a warped neck. Hell my Dean Metalman flying V bass has some VERY minor warp due to military moving. Kinda happens when the crate is in a monsoon. Outside. Uncovered. With forklift holes in it.

J

Doesn't dean coat their necks though?  Didn't think they had an oil rubbed option.  That makes a HUGE difference as the oil doesn't seal anything up.  

I am not really scared it is that way, but it makes me want to see it first hand which unless he really can't sell it won't happen :(

I havent' played too many Dean's so they very well might.  Not my style of neck so I haven't really looked.  Partly not a fan because of Michael Angelo Batio as well.  He plays scales fast and has chops, but no musical ability.

I'd surely go see him perform a solo act somewhere though because live that shit has to make your jaw drop.

Yikes, 6-1 this ain't good.  Not really the one I wanted to watch :(

J

J

Doesn't dean coat their necks though?  Didn't think they had an oil rubbed option.  That makes a HUGE difference as the oil doesn't seal anything up.  

I am not really scared it is that way, but it makes me want to see it first hand which unless he really can't sell it won't happen :(

Mine is no longer in production. It does have an oil rubbed neck option from what I remember, which mine I doubt has.

There is a HUGE difference between the Asian made and assembled, and the USA made and assembled models. The USA ones are customs, and cost a pretty penny more. You also get it exactly as you want it, with no compromise.

Honestly, if I wanted to blow a good chunk of change on a Dean, I would have a custom bass made. The lack of stocked fretless is very dissapointing.

J

Yikes, 6-1 this ain't good.  Not really the one I wanted to watch :(

It's why I am watching the Anaheim vs Winnipeg game.

J

J

J

I am not really scared it is that way, but it makes me want to see it first hand which unless he really can't sell it won't happen sad.png

Mine is no longer in production. It does have an oil rubbed neck option from what I remember, which mine I doubt has.

There is a HUGE difference between the Asian made and assembled, and the USA made and assembled models. The USA ones are customs, and cost a pretty penny more. You also get it exactly as you want it, with no compromise.

Honestly, if I wanted to blow a good chunk of change on a Dean, I would have a custom bass made. The lack of stocked fretless is very dissapointing.

J

Absolutely bummed the Fender plant in Japan closed as it rivaled US plants in many regards.  Now that China/Indonesia/Mexico make out of country guitars I am not interested in imports.

That and my travel schedule is jacked. I couldn't really get there until July.

Asia this week and next, home for 4 work days then off to Germany for a week. Then home for a week, then vacation for a week, then Boulder for a week. Then its 4th of July vacation.

J

J

Doesn't dean coat their necks though? Didn't think they had an oil rubbed option. That makes a HUGE difference as the oil doesn't seal anything up.

J

Absolutely bummed the Fender plant in Japan closed as it rivaled US plants in many regards. Now that China/Indonesia/Mexico make out of country guitars I am not interested in imports.
I can only speak to the playability of the bass, but on the jazz and precision bass, you can easily tell the difference between made in mexico, and made in the US. I won't even touch, much less consider a non US Fender. Keep in mind, I have never played a Japaneese one, but have heard them and they sounded incredible. Looked like the necks were a tiny bit thinner, with lighter frets as well.

J

Sure anything is an option in the custom shop. :)

My guitar made with an oil rubbed in the custom shop would be over $6k makes the $800 I paid seem uber cheap lol

Asia this week and next, home for 4 work days then off to Germany for a week. Then home for a week, then vacation for a week, then Boulder for a week. Then its 4th of July vacation.

J

J

Doesn't dean coat their necks though? Didn't think they had an oil rubbed option. That makes a HUGE difference as the oil doesn't seal anything up.

I am not really scared it is that way, but it makes me want to see it first hand which unless he really can't sell it won't happen sad.png

J

Absolutely bummed the Fender plant in Japan closed as it rivaled US plants in many regards. Now that China/Indonesia/Mexico make out of country guitars I am not interested in imports.
I can only speak to the playability of the bass, but on the jazz and precision bass, you can easily tell the difference between made in mexico, and made in the US. I won't even touch, much less consider a non US Fender. Keep in mind, I have never played a Japaneese one, but have heard them and they sounded incredible. Looked like the necks were a tiny bit thinner, with lighter frets as well.

J

Fender had different specifications on the foreign models.  Wouldn't be surprised if they protected the US bass market.  Jackson was a big proponent of making things somewhat consistent.  Same hardware, neck, setup, just slightly cheaper wood but the craftsmanship is what you normally can't replace.  That was more than adequate in Japan and fails like hell elsewhere in the world.

The real search is for an artisan made bass/guitar.  That can happen anywhere, but surely not in a sweat shop plant with pissy management.  In Japan people live to work so it can.  In the US you pay for craftsmanship so it can.

Sure anything is an option in the custom shop. :)

My guitar made with an oil rubbed in the custom shop would be over $6k makes the $800 I paid seem uber cheap lol

Yes it does. I think you would love their tour. Can't beat free, getting to see some of the classic/rare Deans, as well as playing the current product line. The owner has an insane collection of Deans that predate his owning the company.

The custom shop answers any question you can think of.

J

The real search is for an artisan made bass/guitar.  That can happen anywhere, but surely not in a sweat shop plant with pissy management.  In Japan people live to work so it can.  In the US you pay for craftsmanship so it can.

My other guitars have been American made. The only difference was the flying V, and I purchased that while on my first deployment.

Like I said before, once I am in my own home again, I do intend to start hanging more pieces on the wall.

J

J

J

J

J

Fender had different specifications on the foreign models.  Wouldn't be surprised if they protected the US bass market.  Jackson was a big proponent of making things somewhat consistent.  Same hardware, neck, setup, just slightly cheaper wood but the craftsmanship is what you normally can't replace.  That was more than adequate in Japan and fails like hell elsewhere in the world.

Jackson changed the game on guitars period. They wanted the kid off the street to get the same ax he saw his favorite artist playing on stage. No differences besides tuning. Before that, this was damn near impossible, as everyone played customs.

J