Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

No responses about the L7's huh?

I always have liked kicker "stillwater".. But as many manufactures their products seem to be going down hill in quality bit by bit through out the years these days.And a good enclosure is EVERYTHING in audio IMO..So yes depending on what you are looking for in sound wise I think you will be pleased for $730.00

You or anyone on the HOP know/would design an enclosure for me?

Titty sprinkles.

I scrolled up expecting such. WTF

3tvymu.jpg

Thank you.

Bought my 1st subs today, but now im second guessing myself. I bought 2 kicker L7 12s and a rockford fosgate prime 1200 all new for 730$. My friend has a L7 12, it gets loud for what it is but his is in a prefab ported box and sounds like ass. Given a good enclosure do you guys think it would be possible to get them sounding good?

Yes they'll be fine. Do I think you spent way too much? Yeah.

Titty sprinkles.

I scrolled up expecting such. WTF

3tvymu.jpg

Thank you.

Happy um, titty Thursday! :D

Bought my 1st subs today, but now im second guessing myself. I bought 2 kicker L7 12s and a rockford fosgate prime 1200 all new for 730$. My friend has a L7 12, it gets loud for what it is but his is in a prefab ported box and sounds like ass. Given a good enclosure do you guys think it would be possible to get them sounding good?

That.

If you can return it you could do much better for the same scratch.

That.

I got the subs for 430$ for 2 L7 12s, and the prime 1200 for 300, where did i overpay? The subs are around 300$ each online and the amp is 290$ online

That.

I got the subs for 430$ for 2 L7 12s, and the prime 1200 for 300, where did i overpay? The subs are around 300$ each online and the amp is 290$ online

I could spend way less than that and end up with same sq and output, if not better.

Of course I buy used usually.

Especially if you can fit an 18".

I dont think I can, max dimensions are 14" deep, 46" wide, and 22" high... i really didnt want to buy used, but throw some options out that i could have picked for new equipment and get the same or better results.

That.

2 12" GCONS IMO would have been better.

But if you are happy that is what matters.

J

That.

2 12" GCONS IMO would have been better.

But if you are happy that is what matters.

J

There not installed yet, I wish I could find someone to design an enclosure for me... Do you think gcons would be louder than L7s, both given the proper enclosure?

I believe that if the enclosure is done correctly the L7 would have the potential to get louder as the L7 has more cone area.

You also must keep in mind the size limitations, type of music you listen to, and what you consider to sound 'good' and if you are olanning on abusing things. Honestly, I recommend finding someone local to you and learning all you can. Go to an SPL show and observe. Ask questions and learn.

J

I listen to mainly rock,classic rock, country and occasionally rap, im thinking about tuning to 32-34hz, sound about right?

I dont think theres any spl shows near where im am

Edited by Stephen93s10

Calipers on the rotors: 

IMG_7224_1.jpg

Hey, you gave us no size reference.  How big are those? What are they off?

Calipers off a 2002 S-Class, rotors off a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee, the one you liked, with ugly headlights, 13" diameter 

What I have to figure out before I start to install it (going to need an adapter plate) are brake hoses. 20 minutes from my house we have a company which builds brake hoses, brake lines and hydraulic hoses, so I'll run by them with a caliper and one of my old hoses. 

I dont think I can, max dimensions are 14" deep, 46" wide, and 22" high... i really didnt want to buy used, but throw some options out that i could have picked for new equipment and get the same or better results.

18" < 22", thus you can do 1 18", that's more cone area than 2 12", and essentially half the cost.

You should figure out how to design a basic ported enclosure first, then decide what fits bests. I'm not going to do it for you, it's elementary math.

Account for all volume displacements, eg: speaker, bracing, port. When you calculate for port length be sure to adjust as needed since port length for x tuning is based upon the enclosure volume, but the enclosure volume will be less since the port takes up space. Eg: tuning 30hz, 3ft^3, port length is 20", but after port volume the enclosure volume is actually 2.5ft^3 which means if the port length stays the same than the actual tuning will be higher. These numbers are arbitrary by the way.

Time to do a brake job on the new Jeep BUT...I have the bad caliper design. While browsing ebay for the good calipers, ebay suggestions shows some Mercedes 4-piston calipers. 10 minutes later I spend $50 for 2 S-Class 4-piston calipers, made by Brembo. They need bigger rotors, which fit perfectly from a newer Grand Cherokee. S-class pads + new GC rotors are the same price as rotors + pads for the better designed calipers. Not to mention the better designed calipers are more expensive. Yay better brakes biggrin.png

That is one beautiful thing about jeeps, parts are abundant. Good score!

Good Jeep calipers = $70

Benz S-Class calipers = $45

Picked up both yesterday and the Benz ones are lighter. Not much bigger but hooray 4-piston, the only bad part is I'm missing the pins which hold the pads and a metal clip. Should be cheap at the Benz dealer.

Really curious on how the brakes feel after the upgrade. Going from 12" to 13" rotor, 2 46mm piston calipers to 4 piston (2 40mm, 2 44mm).

After rotors and pads it's the same price as regular brakes. So win-win.

And here

I wanted it in the picture.  See the shoe, but it is distant.  Famous fishing trick to make your fish bigger....

Thanks Mike.

I'll take a picture behind 17" rims once all is done :D

I know that sounds a little convoluted, but search the forum, there are TONs of threads about enclosure design.

Bodywork guy is on standby, I should've had the fenders, bumpers, interior and assorted shit from under the hood out by now but we pushed on hard with a new application for the meters.

I'll probably take Monday off, strip the Miata and trailer it to him so he can get started. 

And after that, big brakes on the Jeep. One of the pads is almost to metal, I don't care if they mess up the rotors or calipers, it's all crap. 

Shocks are ordered. 

Sway bar is another hurdle and then I'm done with buying shit. I don't want to change cars for at least 5 years. Getting the Miata in top mechanical condition took a while and when I was done, I bought the Grand. 

Looks like AccuWave metered competitions are going to be the season starters this year. 2 competitions at the same time, at one we'll be using the new competition application. 

18" < 22", thus you can do 1 18", that's more cone area than 2 12", and essentially half the cost.

You should figure out how to design a basic ported enclosure first, then decide what fits bests. I'm not going to do it for you, it's elementary math.

Account for all volume displacements, eg: speaker, bracing, port. When you calculate for port length be sure to adjust as needed since port length for x tuning is based upon the enclosure volume, but the enclosure volume will be less since the port takes up space. Eg: tuning 30hz, 3ft^3, port length is 20", but after port volume the enclosure volume is actually 2.5ft^3 which means if the port length stays the same than the actual tuning will be higher. These numbers are arbitrary by the way.

Good point. For some reason I had that sub pictured in another direction.

J