Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

The OBD2 steering wheel controls did not work with my mini-ELM327 clone. The J1850 bus was not even connected to the processor. Chinese "works with all protocols" .

Sounds chinese. Bastards

Yup. I'm buying local with testing. Worth spending extra cash to make sure it works and it takes 30 seconds to test. 

Pretty funny that on the board the bus connection was interrupted. Even bridging the interruption did not help and I don't know why I thought it would work. 

Sooooo..... The power from my wall doesn't have a plug. Just wires in conduit.

Do I "need" to install a wall plug?

yes..a female 220 outlet.. You will have two hot legs that will read around 110-115 volt each and a ground hot legs should be black ground will be green and if they are a white that is your common" if it is used"
OMG, DUDE please don't do any electrical work.

He's our very own expert in: computers, electricity, welding, turbos, transmissions, cars and maybe in nutrition :lol: 

And where I touched up the damn paint!

Nope, it still looks good :) 

I need to find tan carpet. I want to color match the sub in the new Jeep. According to what I could find, the color is called Camel. Any ideas where I can buy some carpet ? 

After the vacation I'm booking a visit to our local detailing center for cleaning the interior and polishing my headlights.

If you were closer I would detail your SUV and make it shine better than new.

Random question, what should I look for in a detailer, and what is a 'fair' price? Looking at a wash, clay barring, and a good wax. Plus the interior.

While it has been 'washed' a few times recently, she hasn't had a good thourough detailing aince I moved.

J

A very good friend of mine is a detailer. From his site...

Wash & Wax

Extend the life and beauty of your vehicle’s paint finish with this convenient package!  Wax shields the paint from UV rays, environmental pollution, and moisture all while creating a high gloss shine.  This package preps your vehicle with a safe, thorough, and necessary wash before a high quality wax is applied.  Typically takes 4-8 hours depending on the vehicle size and condition.

Standard size cars/small trucks - $100     

SUV's, Minivans, Large Pickups - $130

1) Pre-soak foam bath

2) Two bucket hand wash

3) Wheels, wheel wells, and tires thoroughly cleaned

4) Tires dressed

5) Inside gas door, door and trunk/hatch jambs thoroughly cleaned

6) Carefully hand/air dried

7) LIGHT paint decontamination using a fine grade clay bar

8) Premium wax applied to paint (Add sealant for extra longevity for $15)

9) Exterior plastic trim cleaned and dressed

10) Windows cleaned inside/out

Ultimate Interior Detail

This is a very thorough interior ONLY detail.  Every inch of your interior is meticulously cleaned, sanitized, and protected.  Please allow 4+ hours for this service. 

1) Thorough vacuum (all the nooks and crannies) of interior floors including trunk/hatch and under seats

2) Floor mats deep cleaned – shampoo/extraction

3) Deep clean (Shampoo/extraction) on carpet/cloth seats

4) Thorough cleaning and conditioning on leather seats

5) Thorough cleaning of interior hard surfaces (dash, door panels, vents, etc.)

6) Pet hair removal

7) Apply UV protectant to dash

8) Spot clean headliner

9) Clean and apply protectant to door jamb seals

10) Deodorize interior

11) Clean windows inside/out

$90-$180 determined upon inspection according to size of vehicle, amount/type of stains/odor, etc

Seems like it'd be hard for him to make a living at those rates.

Detailing is his love. His day job is as a store manager. His work is ridiculous.

I paid a guy like $200 one time in college to detail my black truck which included polishing, it came out great but the price was steep for me in the long term. I decided to buy a DA starter kit for about the same price and now I do all my own stuff. Having a 2500HD as a DD means I haven't even touched it with a buffer yet, but I will this summer. Here's some side/side on my Evo IX I did a few years ago:

IMG_1661.jpg

2_zpse351b932.jpg

Had the check engine light pop up on the truck today.

Any recommendations on a bluetooth OBD2 scanner I can use with and android app?

Hmm, just got notice that my LG G4 is on a UPS truck on the way to my house?

So much for the June 8th email T-mobile sent me. It better come either before 3 or after 4.

Oh snap!

You lucky dog!

There is a mail in rebate. To LG for a free extra battery 32gig card and extra charger.

128gb card...
That's from T Mobil. LG directly is doing the battery, charger and a 32 gig MicroSD
How do I get that?

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g4/battery

Seem to be both LG deals. Not sure you can get both. I'd prefer the 128 to the other if I have to pick.

The cheap ones fail. I went through three of them. Need a good one if you want it to last.

I believe this is the 'reliable' type

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433257035&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx+bluetooth

...but I'd search on Mp3car.com for options. The $15 jobbies on Amazon will work to pull codes, but you can't leave them plugged in or they fail.

Personally I'd run to Oreilly and grab their free code reader and check things out.

If you pay someone you throw the money away IMO. First step in detailing a car is to decide you want to drive a detailed car. That of course means you fix it ALL the time. No more garbage in your truck, don't let ANY shit sit on the paint, and keep your carpet clean.Otherwise, just take your truck to a good full service car wash and for $30 it'll be clean. With no tools and limited time you could use that as a start and then just 2 bucket handwash real fast followed by a wet clay and rewash. Throw on a sealer by hand and call it done. If you treat your car like shit there is no reason to do more than that. I'd hand polish first, but that is an extra step.

I maintain the mechanical aspects of the vehicle. Oil changes every 5k (as Toyota suggests), new tires before absolutely necessary and rotated regularly, new wipers somewhat often, injctor cleaner/octane booster at least three times between oil changes, and never less than 89 octane gas.

The paint I haven't been so nice to, and I know the interior is neglected as well. As I have quit smoking (I have only used my vaporizor sparingly since my last Cig in March) I still notice a slight stench of stale smoke in my truck. While air fresheners mask the scent, it doesn't fix it. The pain has scratches and dents. Arizona bushes and taking the truck out to the field to do shit for my joes took its toll on the paint.

Also, where I am we get at least 30 mins to 5 hours of decent to heavy rain almost daily from now to about mid July. So for now washing is damn near futile.

J

So much for the June 8th email T-mobile sent me. It better come either before 3 or after 4.

Oh snap!

You lucky dog!

There is a mail in rebate. To LG for a free extra battery 32gig card and extra charger.

128gb card...
That's from T Mobil. LG directly is doing the battery, charger and a 32 gig MicroSD
How do I get that?

Seem to be both LG deals. Not sure you can get both. I'd prefer the 128 to the other if I have to pick.

Weird. There is a thread on XDA developers about it. I have a large card already so I would take the battery and battery charger.

From my reading you can have it all!

SanDisk had super cheep cards at Costco. It was nuts.

Why detail to the nth when you can't keep it detailed?

There is a huge difference in how my truck looks in the winter and the summer for obvious reasons...

Oh snap!

You lucky dog!

128gb card...
How do I get that?

Weird. There is a thread on XDA developers about it. I have a large card already so I would take the battery and battery charger.

From my reading you can have it all!

SanDisk had super cheep cards at Costco. It was nuts.

You are right the terms & conditions don't say you can't do both smile.png

The cheap ones fail. I went through three of them. Need a good one if you want it to last.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433257035&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx+bluetooth

...but I'd search on Mp3car.com for options. The $15 jobbies on Amazon will work to pull codes, but you can't leave them plugged in or they fail.

Personally I'd run to Oreilly and grab their free code reader and check things out.

Any reason I can't buy the LX instead of the MX?

Any reason I can't buy the LX instead of the MX?

I spent 10 seconds searching, I am using an HPTuners one that is a WEE bit more spendy. No idea. If the guys on mp3 say it lives I'd be fine with it.

Alright. So I think I'm basically looking for one with the auto off function. Shouldn't be too hard.

I wonder how my phone will react with multiple bluetooth connections...

Man today sucks. My stomach is killing me and we only have porta-potties at our building due to a bathroom reno. Walking all the way to the other building sucks.

Why detail to the nth when you can't keep it detailed?There is a huge difference in how my truck looks in the winter and the summer for obvious reasons...

So having it fully detailed once and then once a month or so follow ups are worthless? Just let it go and never do shit?

What is the sweet spot?

J

Find a car wash that vacuums and wipes down the vehicle, J.

Do that and be happy.

Detailing in what Sean is talking about is paint correction. You use a clay bar after a degrease wash. It pulls tiny particles out of the paint. It doesn't help it look better or last longer.

Once you do that you can polish. This is just like sharpening a knife. You use compounds that slowly buff away scratches. This is the only way to make your paint have more luster and shine.

Then to protect that finish, you must seal it. Wax is the best IMHO, but it is soft. In Florida it will come off so fast.... You will need to strip and rewax once a month, minimum.

So a sealant is a better option. It can last a loooooong time and offers great protection.

Edited by dem beats

I have chips on the 550. It's part of ownership. I have touched them up and it's visible only to me or others looking for it.

I don't detail or paint correct because I don't have time or a place to do it. If I found a place that would do it right I would pay, make sure it's sealed well and then move on with my life.

No one is going to do it to my liking though....

:-)

Maybe Sean, if he wants to make a few extra bucks detailing for me!

:-)

Find a car wash that vacuums and wipes down the vehicle, J.

Do that and be happy.

Detailing in what Sean is talking about is paint correction. You use a clay bar after a degrease wash. It pulls tiny particles out of the paint. It doesn't help it look better or last longer.

Once you do that you can polish. This is just like sharpening a knife. You use compounds that slowly buff away scratches. This is the only way to make your paint have more luster and shine.

Then to protect that finish, you must seal it. Wax is the best IMHO, but it is soft. In Florida it will come off so fast.... You will need to strip and rewax once a month, minimum.

So a sealant is a better option. It can last a loooooong time and offers great protection.

You hit it on the head, but clay will indeed make the finish look better. You can use it to remove water spots, overspray, baked on bug guts, bird crap, tar, etc.

What is this sealant?

I feel so ignorant about cleaning a vehicle all of a sudden....

I just fell in love again!!!! Had me a tuna salad samich and a good old cesar sald!!