Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

32 minutes ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I need more friends local.  Ugh.

Going to CT in a month!

Hyundai calls for coolant replacement after 60 and every 30 after. I'm at 90 and it was flushed at 60. Should I do it?

I'm thinking I should just wait until 120

I think glass coverage and towing adds around 20$ every 6 months for me, that is deductible waived for the glass, and I've got a 500$ deductible.  

If you don't will they honor any warranty work on coolant problems?  

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

Hyundai calls for coolant replacement after 60 and every 30 after. I'm at 90 and it was flushed at 60. Should I do it?

I'm thinking I should just wait until 120

I drain a gallon every year and add a fresh gallon on all my vehicles. The coolant is as new as it can be. 

6 hours ago, dem beats said:

I think I really really want a Shelby GT350

There is a local guy that autocrosses his GT350 R, yes, an R.

2 hours ago, topgun said:

If you don't will they honor any warranty work on coolant problems?  

No warranty. Hyundai is 60k B2B and the 100k Powertrain is non-transferable.

2 hours ago, topgun said:

I think glass coverage and towing adds around 20$ every 6 months for me, that is deductible waived for the glass, and I've got a 500$ deductible.  

I'll have to double check. My agent is pretty good at advising me on the no brainers andkeeping me away from the crap.

I have to say, this Hyundai is a joy to do maintenance on. Most things are well thought out and there is space to work. I feel like I can replace most anything with my current tool set.

Measure your coolant.  If it tests fine and isn't contaminated I see no reason in changing it.  If either of the other two conditions exist I'd change it completely.

On 7/16/2016 at 0:05 AM, Aaron Clinton said:

It's a mess everywhere.

What a week, eh? :(

Kind of a pity that the coup in Turkey failed. 

6 hours ago, Adrian_D said:

What a week, eh? :(

Kind of a pity that the coup in Turkey failed. 

I need to find out more about that.  NPR (national public radio) made it seem like it would have been bad if the military took over.

7 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Measure your coolant.  If it tests fine and isn't contaminated I see no reason in changing it.  If either of the other two conditions exist I'd change it completely.

How do you test your coolant?

If your coolant is really bad, the best way to clean your system is run straight distilled water. You use it on place of your coolant for a short time. It will have to be changed frequently until all the garbage that has cleated in various points through out your cooling system have been reabsorbed into the water. At 60k it should not be very contaminated.  

I did this to my beetle and it took about a month until the distilled water was almost a clean as used as fresh.

I have a little specific gravity tester.  If it is effective for the temp I need and not dirty fuck it.

If it isn't it gets "flushed".  Quotes are because I don't use the mechanic term but a logical one.  Pull the last return hose from the system so it goes down the drain, add a water source to the input so that it doesn't run dry.  Run the engine until you have only water coming through.  Need to make sure you have removed or bypassed your thermostat though so it actually flows.  Also the technique I used to change from dexuncool to real antifreeze.  No orange bullshit in my car.

1 hour ago, Aaron Clinton said:

I need to find out more about that.  NPR (national public radio) made it seem like it would have been bad if the military took over.

Rumors here in Europe are that the coup was started by the President to enable the removal of his opposition.  He needs to be removed from power...bad.

2 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Rumors here in Europe are that the coup was started by the President to enable the removal of his opposition.  He needs to be removed from power...bad.

Very scary.

Beyond scary. 

September we are having a gun shoot weekend. I should have lots of pictures for you guys.

3 hours ago, ///M5 said:

I have a little specific gravity tester.  If it is effective for the temp I need and not dirty fuck it.

If it isn't it gets "flushed".  Quotes are because I don't use the mechanic term but a logical one.  Pull the last return hose from the system so it goes down the drain, add a water source to the input so that it doesn't run dry.  Run the engine until you have only water coming through.  Need to make sure you have removed or bypassed your thermostat though so it actually flows.  Also the technique I used to change from dexuncool to real antifreeze.  No orange bullshit in my car.

. . . And run your heater hoses in a loop otherwise that shit will clog your heater core.

All this talk about windshields and Gavin broke the Lincoln's windshield yesterday.  I just replaced it last year too.