Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

On 1/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, Aaron Clinton said:

Spoke too soon.  I believe I have a wheel bearing that needs replacement.

Yep. Coolant crossover pipe failed. Idiot mechanic who worked on the car previously removed one of the two braces holding it and removed the rubber grommet on the other brace. Aluminum pipe rubbing against a steel brace...guess who loses? 

Easy fix though, spent $10 on a used pipe and braces. 

On 1/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, ///M5 said:

Poly sway bar bushing is flailing around on my truck.  Every turn I get a clunk.

The rear Addco sway bar on the Jeep destroyed 2 sway bar links so far. 

Overflow reservoir on the Miata was filled with distilled water (silly me thinking it's part of the entire cooling system like in the Jeep), so it froze. I open the radiator cap, there's ice above the gasket (from the overflow hose). 

I charge the battery to start it, the aftermarket immobiliser doesn't work. After wiggling it's fuse it works, I start the Miata and let it get up to temperature and thankfully I see no coolant leaks. 

Of course all the windshield washer fluid turned to gel, so I hope that system is still ok. 

Saturday is going to be the warmest day of the year, so the plan is to get the Jeep ready for the ski roadtrip and help Vlad get his Miata back on the road. 

8 hours ago, Liro213 said:

Any good sound bar recommendations?

Best one is not a soundbar.

10 hours ago, Liro213 said:

Any good sound bar recommendations?

Lol

Buy some bookshelfs and stay away from the bar.  If you really want a sound bar I would go to Costco or best buy and listen to a few and just buy what shounds nice.  None of them are capable of being as nice as a moderate quality pair of bookshelf speakers.

I get why people wont them. I kind of like that solution for my bedroom... But it's not a good solution by nature.

Also, wrong crowd to ask.  Most of us have seen too many magic pebles and bose systems that we can smell the bullshit from so far away.

The problem is ths sound bar starts from a bad design and then tries to fix it with cheep parts.  And then you also loose on the stereo function.

You could check out some HT websites but the best soundbar is like the fastest public reader at a convention for Stutter Management.  Even if its ok, you could have started with a better candidate if you want actuall performance.

Generally any design with side by side drivers is a fail.

I FULLY disagree.  

I have an Audiosource bar under my plasma and it's FANTASTIC!  It does Dolby perfectly, stereo is great, and has enough lowend to vibrate doors.  It could benefit from a sub, but. . . 

I just purchased a Yamaha YAS-106 for my father and it's almost as good as my Audiosource with added lowend since it includes "built-in subwoofers."  

Now, neither are ideal for movies, but for a single source solution taking up very little space, they perform admirably.

I was a skeptic before owning one, bit experience had proven positive.

I am completely shocked you say that.  My boss has the $700 Sonos and it is terrible. 

Of course, I have a full tower & center channel that I am comparing it too but for a similar purchase price.  As we remodel I am going to build everything in wall.

These are $2-250 bars.  I could not fathom spending more than that, so I'll don't know to even think of a comparison.  

I have a small house, big TV, couch is up against the wall, and space is a premium.  I was tired of hitting my speakers, wanted everything up off the floor, and my receiver gone.  The soundbar was the only logical choice for me.  

If I had $700 to spend, it's an entirely different situation.

Kind of applesto oranges, but hey, they're not completely shit.

well for one I like the idea of it not taking nearly any space (don't have a lot) and 2nd I'm only going to watch movies on it on low to mid volume.. plus I have 2 boys who grab anything in their path.. I already know it won't be as good but just thought someone would have an idea of a decent sound bar 

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-LS3100-ENVISION-2-1-Channel-Bluetooth/dp/B008YDTRZ4

This is about the best compromise between a sound bar and bookshelf speakers that I have found.

You have two separate left and right channels that you can adjust and move to where you think sounds best. It has a wireless woofer that can be placed anywhere and puts out decent bass. It looks nice and takes up hardly any room.

Unfortunately it looks discontinued, not sure if Onkyo is coming out with an updated model.

19 hours ago, ///M5 said:

MK - what did you do to that pic?  Lightroom won't import it here.  

It also looks WAY over exposed.  *referring only the one with clouds

Might need something else...or perhaps I am stupid atm.

I'm pretty sure I pulled it straight off the memory card. I'll double check when I get home maybe try to send a better picture too

5 hours ago, S.DeYoung said:

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-LS3100-ENVISION-2-1-Channel-Bluetooth/dp/B008YDTRZ4

This is about the best compromise between a sound bar and bookshelf speakers that I have found.

You have two separate left and right channels that you can adjust and move to where you think sounds best. It has a wireless woofer that can be placed anywhere and puts out decent bass. It looks nice and takes up hardly any room.

Unfortunately it looks discontinued, not sure if Onkyo is coming out with an updated model.

yeah it looks discontinued , I went to the local Best Buy but end up not choosing anything . Some models weren't powered on so I'm hold off till I go to a different Best Buy 

Do you think it your sound bar could hold its own vs self powered studio speakers?  If you have 100-125 to spend on each?  Or if you were going to get a receiver anyway, what could unpowered bookshelfs at $100 get you?

I guess I dont honestly know but i would bet an unknown pair of $200 bookshelfs could beat a $200 soundbar.

Double poast!!!!!!!

Edited by dem beats
Double poast

At $700 I could buy and power a pair of NHT classic 3's and i honest to god feel those are the most accurate speaker i have heard until you get into some seriously high dollhair speakers.

41 minutes ago, dem beats said:

Do you think it your sound bar could hold its own vs self powered studio speakers?  If you have 100-125 to spend on each?  Or if you were going to get a receiver anyway, what could unpowered bookshelfs at $100 get you?

I guess I dont honestly know but i would bet an unknown pair of $200 bookshelfs could beat a $200 soundbar.

A $200 set of powered near fields could smoke a $700 sound bar

38 minutes ago, dem beats said:

At $700 I could buy and power a pair of NHT classic 3's and i honest to god feel those are the most accurate speaker i have heard until you get into some seriously high dollhair speakers.

Didn't you listen to my office stereo?  Less than that and destroys those...

Super narrow sweet spot though, but they were designed for my desk

30 minutes ago, dem beats said:

I mean it must be safe to say you must count receiver in the deal because that's your source and they're not cheap right?

Even the $30 Class T amps from PE aren't that bad.  Shocking actually.

Was using a Pio Elite but switched for one.  Psuedo blind a/b and it was discernable but not annoying.

5 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

I mean it must be safe to say you must count receiver in the deal because that's your source and they're not cheap right?

Go powered then.  These are MONSTERS for the money.  Were on sale for $100 each.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-b212xl-12-800w-passive-titanium-pa-speaker?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-b6UTP1BNddVST3IW5amrCa30BWWyFmpqsZ7kSndqVRoCRFnw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^140858496021-sku^580025000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

zero WAF factor on those though.

And you need a sub.

They are just the budget buy for those who need fuck you loud and sounds good.