Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

They excused me. I have a vessel for Cuba to inspect today and I'm the only person qualified to inspect it. Plus I would incure a huge monetary hardship.

You damn right you got a vessel to inspect. My drugs got to get there by the weekend!!

...did I say that out loud?

First I need to be fitted by an expert and for them to tell me what to look for. I have been recommend to try polo purple label and brooks brothers for off the rack and/or semi custom. Where you need tall I am Iin need of wide.Pants will change and change and change as I loose weight. I need new holes in my belts now. I am starting to get them all in suspenders because of the speed I am loosing weight. I have come to like wool separate pants over cottons, or cheep stretch banded cheepo khakis that I burn through fast. Right now I smash 2-3 pairs of cottons in 6 months. The wools will at least stay in good shape for 6 months if I alternate and rotate and they can be tailored down as I need.So even in the better shirts I buy my shoulders pull the shirts and I bust through the back of shirts. And driving puts a stupid amount of stress on my shirts. Arm holes are huge in most off the rack, so my arm moves the whole shirt. Smaller arm holes would be better. Because my forearms are so thick it exasperates the problem. So I always end up unbottoning the sleeves. I should be a 36/37 but because the back fabrick is basically pulled every time I move my arm I am fucked.I can even feel it catch in my neck sometimes.

I'd go to Nordstrom's first. I wouldn't buy anything, but I'd get fitted for shirts. Grab the gayest looking sales guy there and see what he can find. If they can't find anything then I'd try Brooks. Not sure where they are outside of Maple Grove though, yuck.

What do you consider to. Be the best materials, brands, and colors for business?

I need to start suit shopping soon.

J

Off the rack it is hard to beat Joseph Aboud for price/quality/comfort/nice looking fabrics. This fit most men fine and can be taken in if you need a slim fit. Slim fit doesn't mean you are skinny either. Just that you want the shirt to come in closer along your sides and not blouse as much.

Kalvin Cline makes an OK shirt. There is a new line from his products that are nice. I just purchased a few and will update you. But once again price and good fabric there.

The most recommended shirts off the rack I have read online about are Ralph Lauren and Brooks brothers for the "reasonably priced".

I have ended up at Men's Warehouse most frequently because of their buy one, get one sales. Great clearance prices too. On Friday I got 6 nice shirts, 4 ties, 2 wool pants tailored up, a couple tie clips, and a pair of casual shirts for about 650.

Why I am even looking for a better shirt is because I can afford it, it would be more comfortable and one shirt that fits properly will outlast the off the rack ones for me. With the constant pulling in the back I bust seams and pull the weave of the fabric long before the shirt should have been worn out.

As for fabricks, pattern and color are yours to choose. Or have the best dressed person there pick it out for you. Fabric materials make the most difference. Island/Egyptian/pima are about the best actual cotton. The weave of the cotton is another personal choice. Some are more durable and some are lighter and more breathable. Your hands and eyes can tell you that. My opinion is if you get a solid color shirt it is nice to habe a sheen and or texture. Another reason I am a fan of the Joseph Aboud shirts are the solids habe a nice sheen and herringbone pattern. I believe it would be considered a twill weave.

I'm not completely fluent in the weaves as it doesn't matter toooooo much for me. If I find someone to make bespoke shirts for me maybe I will have to learn something when I choose the cloth, but for now I can touch and see what I like and don't like rather than communicate what swatches to show me.

Good tips. I need to go n and get fitted again and start choosing. Hell I need t see if the Hugo Boss suit I have still fits as I have a wedding to attend this weekend, and I refuse to wear my ASU's (Army dress blue's).

Considering a suit to be pants and jacket (shirts, tie, and shoes purchased separately) what do you consider a good price for a quality suit?

Also as a business man how many jackets, pants, and pairs of shoes should a man own? I know shirts, ties, tie clips/pins can be interchanges as desired and as the occasion calls for. Also what colors should be a primary focus?

Sorry but after 8 years of solidly wearing A uniform of one sort or another, my knowledge of the business world and what is acceptable/undesirable has slacked and I want to prepaid myself.

J

J let me finish by saying 75% of my co workers in sales buy their shirts at JC penny's. ....

And wear cotton khakis. I wouldn't mind some coton pants too but the wools last at least as long and are much lighter. They also look the part.

Khakis are fine for most businesses occasions.

Hagar used to be the bomb for cheeper cotton dress pants. I buy suvanne (sp) because I am fat and loose weight fast. They have an elastic stretch on the waistband so I could go from work to casual and still move around. Again though, the less the price the faster I eould wear out the elastic band ot split the seams. I really go through 2-4 pair in 6 months.

Suits are one hot mess. For me it is really hard to fit. My lats,and the fat over them, intersect so low that most jackets catch there and hang up. So I cannot move in a jacket.

That being said I have had the best luck with Ralph Lauren. There have been some random Canadian brands and Japanese suits that work, but overall my Ralph Lauren has proven to wrinkle the least, drape the best, and I look the sharpest in it. Most of my other suits will probably be given away if not all of them. For the last 4-5 formal events businesses prior to this Ralph Lauren I have basically had to buy a new suit.

So in this case, for me, the better known brand name has proved useful.

Not that less expensive or lesser known garment makers don't do a great job. But for a fucked up shape like Sean or myself, what is normal leaves a lot to be desired when you don't fit into the average shape.

I need to go ask the Vikings linemen where they shop.

The WORST for me is big and tall. Sure I can get my shoulders in, but they expect someone with shoulders my size to be sooooooooo fat it is unbelievable. And I am fucking rotund at the moment. The coat still had 7-8 inches extra. And you cannot take a suit in that much without wrecking it usually.

Another BIG tip is to buy when there is a sale. Like now at my local men's warehouse. BoGo is great.

I also recommend you buy your suits and shirts at the SAME TIME until you are really comfortable matching alone. If you buy shirts and ties to match a suit you will look like a billion bucks. And you can ALWAYS just wear the shirt and tie without the suit. Then hang up the shirts next to the suit that match the combo in your closet. Boom instant DESIGNED outfit without thinking in the morning. As for shoes and belts, if you can buy them together and roll up the belt and put the matching belt in the left foot of the shoe it matches. BOOM instant match there. Saves you acting like a woman I the morning finding the right combo.

Also if you find out last min you have an interview, it is ready to go.

You also asked about the essentials. Blue shirt, white shirt, black shoes and belt, brown shoes and belt. In suits, a black is standard, Navy is often the king, I wear the best pinstripe I can find being wide it helps me out.

I don't own a white shirt..... lol

I just have to say that for 3 weeks i have been working out everyday except sundays, stop drinking soda, and eat alot healthier.

I have lost 10lbs and i am building muscle plus lost 2 inches around my waist! biggrin.png

Kick ass D.  :) Keep it up.  Maybe post up in the fitness log we have going.  

bD517qw.png

He was the man, regardless of steroids or not, he was still killing it and working harder then 99%.

If I were living in Nashville I'd be sure to call on you guys. Very professional website.

Did you see who did the website? ;)

One other thing, WATER WATER WATER!!!!!!J

Best advice yet. Drink 2 gallons a day. It'll do plenty for your health.
With his amount of time outside and such I can see 2 gallons. For those of s with more 'sedintary' lines of work a gallon a day is more feasible, and adviseable.

J

Keeps the stomach full as well. I came from a very lower middle class family. Meant I couldn't afford enough lunch, I learned at that age to drink myself full. It's made a huge difference in my body versus my siblings as well.

First I need to be fitted by an expert and for them to tell me what to look for. I have been recommend to try polo purple label and brooks brothers for off the rack and/or semi custom. Where you need tall I am Iin need of wide.Pants will change and change and change as I loose weight. I need new holes in my belts now. I am starting to get them all in suspenders because of the speed I am loosing weight. I have come to like wool separate pants over cottons, or cheep stretch banded cheepo khakis that I burn through fast. Right now I smash 2-3 pairs of cottons in 6 months. The wools will at least stay in good shape for 6 months if I alternate and rotate and they can be tailored down as I need.So even in the better shirts I buy my shoulders pull the shirts and I bust through the back of shirts. And driving puts a stupid amount of stress on my shirts. Arm holes are huge in most off the rack, so my arm moves the whole shirt. Smaller arm holes would be better. Because my forearms are so thick it exasperates the problem. So I always end up unbottoning the sleeves. I should be a 36/37 but because the back fabrick is basically pulled every time I move my arm I am fucked.I can even feel it catch in my neck sometimes.

I'd go to Nordstrom's first. I wouldn't buy anything, but I'd get fitted for shirts. Grab the gayest looking sales guy there and see what he can find. If they can't find anything then I'd try Brooks. Not sure where they are outside of Maple Grove though, yuck.
What do you consider to. Be the best materials, brands, and colors for business?

I need to start suit shopping soon.

J

Brand is what fits that isn't made from shit. K&G suits and the like will NEVER press right as they aren't sewn right. Not worth it. Same problem occurs with fabrics that aren't DRY CLEAN ONLY. Those can stay pressable, ones that shrink cannot. *note, not shirts those HAVE to be washed and not drycleaned. Cotton is king in shirts IMO, but that is for comfort. It's an absolute bitch to iron, but considering my past that is easy for me. Adding some poly to the shirt will greatly reduce ironing time. Suit should be wool

Here's the bitch, trail ready, after a dusty ride:

IMG_4193.jpg

HOLY big frame.

And i'm 5'11" but i like not having a foot tall seatpost

...but it's a Mt. Bike. Just has a SUPER relaxed riding position. For going 10 hours at a pop great, but not so much for aggressive riding. I used to run a 10" drop from seat to bars for my tree banging bike. Now that I am older I'd probably limit it to 5-6". My road bike which is SUPER relaxed still has a 3" drop.

Yes higher bars is more "comfortable" and I always preach comfort, but if you aren't one to lolligag at 5mph something more aggressive will do you well.

*I would also NEVER ride a Mt. Bike with such a short seat post. I value my balls WAY too much.

Plenty of ball clearance in case something happens, it's already tested :lol:

I'll change the frame in due time, the angle probably makes it look bigger than it is. 

First I need to be fitted by an expert and for them to tell me what to look for. I have been recommend to try polo purple label and brooks brothers for off the rack and/or semi custom. Where you need tall I am I

in need of wide.

Pants will change and change and change as I loose weight. I need new holes in my belts now. I am starting to get them all in suspenders because of the speed I am loosing weight. I have come to like wool separate pants over cottons, or cheep stretch banded cheepo khakis that I burn through fast. Right now I smash 2-3 pairs of cottons in 6 months. The wools will at least stay in good shape for 6 months if I alternate and rotate and they can be tailored down as I need.

So even in the better shirts I buy my shoulders pull the shirts and I bust through the back of shirts. And driving puts a stupid amount of stress on my shirts. Arm holes are huge in most off the rack, so my arm moves the whole shirt. Smaller arm holes would be better. Because my forearms are so thick it exasperates the problem. So I always end up unbottoning the sleeves. I should be a 36/37 but because the back fabrick is basically pulled every time I move my arm I am fucked.

I can even feel it catch in my neck sometimes.

Yeah.... tried that. I think there is a Nordstroms at the MOA.

For one of the highest average income per household areas the twin cities really lack "fancy" shopping. You have to fucking dig to find tallent.

I also didn't finish. Eventually I will need to buy more suits when I loose weight and the ultra good tailor I use at men's warehouse had a little come to jesus anout how barely any coat will fit me be ause of my back.

Nordstrom Rack will have pants. If you get one of their cards, you get $100 in free alterations a year. Highly recommend it.

Why I am even looking for a better shirt is because I can afford it, it would be more comfortable and one shirt that fits properly will outlast the off the rack ones for me.

A shirt that is 2x the price of a stock shirt because it is custom is actually half the price. Yep, in my experience shirts that fit last 4x as long as ones that don't. That HAS to be part of the cost equation.

That being said if you are changing sizes soon investing in long lasting isn't logical.

To put that in perspective. If I gain 10lbs my shirts will not fit.

Muthafucking people who own lathes. I get the steel for my brake brackets to a guy, he says they're going to be ready by 6PM. I change my schedule so that I'm free after 7PM to work on the car and when dad goes to pick up the parts the idiot told him they won't fit his lathe. 

Super pissed and now all I can do to save the day is tutor some math. I HATE tutoring for free, especially since it's like fighting wind mills. 

Here's the bitch, trail ready, after a dusty ride:

IMG_4193.jpg

HOLY big frame.
And i'm 5'11" but i like not having a foot tall seatpost
...but it's a Mt. Bike. Just has a SUPER relaxed riding position. For going 10 hours at a pop great, but not so much for aggressive riding. I used to run a 10" drop from seat to bars for my tree banging bike. Now that I am older I'd probably limit it to 5-6". My road bike which is SUPER relaxed still has a 3" drop.

Yes higher bars is more "comfortable" and I always preach comfort, but if you aren't one to lolligag at 5mph something more aggressive will do you well.

*I would also NEVER ride a Mt. Bike with such a short seat post. I value my balls WAY too much.

Plenty of ball clearance in case something happens, it's already tested laugh.png

I'll change the frame in due time, the angle probably makes it look bigger than it is.

It is at least 5cm too big IMO

J - you only need 1 suit atm, an interview suit. If you have a second interview you should have a second. A way to offset that is to have a neutral suit and two VERY distinctly different shirts.

As for colors. I don't wear suits. I have a couple, but they are worthless to me. On the other hand sport coats are the bomb. Nearly as dressy and you can wear the same one all week, in particular when you visit different customers.

So what does this mean for colors? ALL my pants go with all my sport coats and pretty much all my shirts. It does mean I stack stripes sometimes, but that IMO is even acceptable.

All my pants are shades of gray to black.

I generalize my colors of ties too. Blues with Yellow for instance works with any whitish, yellow or blue shirt. The goal for me is to pack one tie, two pants, one sport coat and 5 shirts for a week.

Same reason your shoes should be black. Until you have 3 good pairs of black dress shoes changing colors is self defeating.

Muthafucking people who own lathes. I get the steel for my brake brackets to a guy, he says they're going to be ready by 6PM. I change my schedule so that I'm free after 7PM to work on the car and when dad goes to pick up the parts the idiot told him they won't fit his lathe. 

Super pissed and now all I can do to save the day is tutor some math. I HATE tutoring for free, especially since it's like fighting wind mills. 

I've got lathes, but only 5k miles away.    How big is the part?  

The steel is already at another guy, should be ready tomorrow. 

I need 2 6.5" diameter rings, with a 3" hole in the middle and a 4 inch disk set back 1/8". Material thickness 3/8". 

if they haven't done so already, I believe DIY Channel has gone full retard

they're asking the guy at the Home Depot for pointers, tips and tricks

aaaaaand they just spend 4.5 grand for a front door...just one door, no side glass...doesn't include the hardware, shims, screws, or lumber for the door jamb...just a large plank of wood, essentially...

if they haven't done so already, I believe DIY Channel has gone full retard

they're asking the guy at the Home Depot for pointers, tips and tricks

aaaaaand they just spend 4.5 grand for a front door...just one door, no side glass...doesn't include the hardware, shims, screws, or lumber for the door jamb...just a large plank of wood, essentially...

I know an engineer at Pella's custom plant...  Prices get somewhat outrageous on some of their stuff.