Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

zfZPK6W.jpg

I should do that to the beetle.

IMG_01561_zpsb827ebc8.jpg

Hard as hell to find a "bar" here, but easy to find a tea shop.

the Turks don't play around with their tea.  come tea time EVERYTHING shuts down.  This stuff is pretty good.  Really strong, takes about 15 minutes for the leaves to settle.

Ever drop a deuce so unholy you have to turn arround and apologize to the throne?

the Turks don't play around with their tea. come tea time EVERYTHING shuts down. This stuff is pretty good. Really strong, takes about 15 minutes for the leaves to settle.

Never tried it.

Ever drop a deuce so unholy you have to turn arround and apologize to the throne?

Too much of a sadist to do that

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU EAT THAT SHIT! EAT IT ALL UP!

OKAY... I went to the liquor store today and saw a new Woodford Double Oaked. It is called "Single Barrel" and it bears a medal claiming that it is "Hand Selected for North Carolina". I asked my buddy who works at the ABC store and also enjoys whiskeys, what he thought of the new Woodford. He said "I haven't tried it yet, it just arrived today, but we both know that Woodford is the best... and I have a bottle in my car for tonight". So me, being a sucker for Woodford decided to buy the gift set of the Distillers select ($5 off in a gift pack with a nice Woodford topper, for $30.99) and the Double Oaked Single Barrel to get the topper with the discount, and to try the new Double Oaked.

DSCF1641_zps970e2d7e.jpg

DSCF1642_zps44086f72.jpg

Yes, it is in a Woodford Reserve glass I got last Christmas in a gift pack (I have to say the stopper and the glasses are very high quality). The stopper weighed at least 3X what I thought it would, and my glasses... well if you know how much whiskey I drink you can see that they still in great shape, a perfect example that they are stout. Buy the Woodford "special edition" shit, because it is very nice stuff.

The Woodford smells like the typical Double Oaked. It cost the same (exactly $58.80 including taxes) as the regular Double Oaked. It is not as abrupt as the DO, which is smooth in it's own essence. Regular DO is smooth but it displays a whiskey bite more that the Single Barrel. It is very easy going down, with a smooth yet almost non-existant oaked flavor. What it leaves on the palette is sweet, but it has whiskey undertones. It is not as sweet in the aftertaste as DO, but the flavor of the aftertaste is full and good on my pallet. The buzz is very mellow (hangover is doubtful as I get none from any Woodford) but VERY nice.

Is it worth the try? Hell yes. I am going to gather up the last few bottles tomorrow to keep on my shelf. If you like a stout whiskey taste the DO may be better, but IMO everything about the Single Barrel is better.

It is a new taste for me, and at 94 proof it is far and away the easiest to run across one's tongue with such a high alcohol content. Can Woodford create a better Bourbon? I'd say no, but they just keep releasing far better drinks with every new release.

Try it if you can, Matt do it. As a DO fan I would find it hard to believe that you will not be blown away with this fine Kentucky Bourbon.

I've been looking into getting a producers liscence to manufacture fruit wine and spirits.

5k miles per year?  

Are you Amish?  

Amish put way more miles on their buggies than that. wink.png

I put 40 miles/week on the bike and that's without counting weekend trips laugh.png

Still more than I put on my horse. wink.png

Where is Lancaster in relation to you? My granddad on my mother's side was raised in Lancaster.

I've been looking into getting a producers liscence to manufacture fruit wine and spirits.

I have read a lot about whiskey production and would love to try it. But here is so much to barrel selection that I cannot comprehend that it is daunting. Add to that an 8-16 year aging process and I would be fucked. I have tried 8 year Irish whiskeys and 18 year Irish whiskeys (Jameson 18 year special reserve is fantastic) and can easily detect the difference in drinks. In knowing what I know about the aging process and the loss of final product in an 18 year compared to an 8 year, when you compare the quality of the final product... I could never wait, and I could never be satisfied with the final outcome required with the long term wait... and I am referring to the final gross outcome.

Roughly 1/3 of the barrel will evaporate in 8 years. Roughly 3/4 will be gone in 18 years. The loss is not exponential, and the gains are, IMO, not really worth the loss in final product. While I could justify the taste, the loss in final product would not be worth it to me. I would have to have a huge barn full of barrels to make it worth my time and money... and selling it would be pointless.

I'd be concentrating on eau de vie and low alcoholic fruit wines. The wines can be sold within 24 months.

Anyone interested in a sub that matched their Glock.

Wut

Looking into Ferritic nitrocarburizing

WTF is that and WTF does it do? It sounds really cool and sounds like something I need though :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

Neat shit

That is pretty damn cool!

5k miles per year?  

Are you Amish?  

Amish put way more miles on their buggies than that. wink.png

I put 40 miles/week on the bike and that's without counting weekend trips laugh.png

Still more than I put on my horse. wink.png

Where is Lancaster in relation to you? My granddad on my mother's side was raised in Lancaster.

I am 2.5 hours north west.

OKAY... I went to the liquor store today and saw a new Woodford Double Oaked. It is called "Single Barrel" and it bears a medal claiming that it is "Hand Selected for North Carolina". I asked my buddy who works at the ABC store and also enjoys whiskeys, what he thought of the new Woodford. He said "I haven't tried it yet, it just arrived today, but we both know that Woodford is the best... and I have a bottle in my car for tonight". So me, being a sucker for Woodford decided to buy the gift set of the Distillers select ($5 off in a gift pack with a nice Woodford topper, for $30.99) and the Double Oaked Single Barrel to get the topper with the discount, and to try the new Double Oaked.

DSCF1641_zps970e2d7e.jpg

DSCF1642_zps44086f72.jpg

Yes, it is in a Woodford Reserve glass I got last Christmas in a gift pack (I have to say the stopper and the glasses are very high quality). The stopper weighed at least 3X what I thought it would, and my glasses... well if you know how much whiskey I drink you can see that they still in great shape, a perfect example that they are stout. Buy the Woodford "special edition" shit, because it is very nice stuff.

The Woodford smells like the typical Double Oaked. It cost the same (exactly $58.80 including taxes) as the regular Double Oaked. It is not as abrupt as the DO, which is smooth in it's own essence. Regular DO is smooth but it displays a whiskey bite more that the Single Barrel. It is very easy going down, with a smooth yet almost non-existant oaked flavor. What it leaves on the palette is sweet, but it has whiskey undertones. It is not as sweet in the aftertaste as DO, but the flavor of the aftertaste is full and good on my pallet. The buzz is very mellow (hangover is doubtful as I get none from any Woodford) but VERY nice.

Is it worth the try? Hell yes. I am going to gather up the last few bottles tomorrow to keep on my shelf. If you like a stout whiskey taste the DO may be better, but IMO everything about the Single Barrel is better.

It is a new taste for me, and at 94 proof it is far and away the easiest to run across one's tongue with such a high alcohol content. Can Woodford create a better Bourbon? I'd say no, but they just keep releasing far better drinks with every new release.

Try it if you can, Matt do it. As a DO fan I would find it hard to believe that you will not be blown away with this fine Kentucky Bourbon.

I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but your review was so good I wanted to run out and buy some of that! I get into Dimple Pinch and Jameson whiskey every once in a while, but that's about it besides TONS of beer. I think I might try this one day though Edited by ChILL

DSCF1641_zps970e2d7e.jpg

DSCF1642_zps44086f72.jpg

I will definitely be getting some!

Dinner tonight is Kishka (polish blood sausage) and Ukrainian sausage.

Awesome, reminds me of grandpa.

Edited by dem beats

Glad to see the great sunglasses debate return.

My other issue besides price, is the fit with the MJ's. My big ass head is not exactly even so when I try them on, one arm is snapped fully open, and the other is normal or a bit sprung out. Perhaps I just need a place to 'custom fit' mine.

The only Oakley's I have had scratches on (more than hairline ones you cannot see while wearing) I had for a few years. The two pair I destroyed were ballistics in unusual circumstances that they saved my eyes on. Add in the discount and I am a very happy camper, but will look at MJ's again in a different location.

J

OKAY... I went to the liquor store today and saw a new Woodford Double Oaked. It is called "Single Barrel" and it bears a medal claiming that it is "Hand Selected for North Carolina". I asked my buddy who works at the ABC store and also enjoys whiskeys, what he thought of the new Woodford. He said "I haven't tried it yet, it just arrived today, but we both know that Woodford is the best... and I have a bottle in my car for tonight". So me, being a sucker for Woodford decided to buy the gift set of the Distillers select ($5 off in a gift pack with a nice Woodford topper, for $30.99) and the Double Oaked Single Barrel to get the topper with the discount, and to try the new Double Oaked.DSCF1641_zps970e2d7e.jpgDSCF1642_zps44086f72.jpg

I will definitely be getting some!

I'll be picking some up eventully as well. Great review!!!!

J

I am the cheepest money pinching bastard. If something does the best job for cheeper I do it. If I can't prove that something is better than the rest, I will sometimes just not buy stuff and suffer.

It's one of my worst traits. I live with cars I hate because I do the math and realize how cheep it is. My house isn't finished because I can't make final choices....

Wanting the best and not wanting to pay is a horrible combination. It's crippling at times.

Maybe I'm not alone. Anyone else fall asleep running this or that scenarios in their head trying to come up with solutions?

I loose sleep over almost any decision that isn't aesthetic related.

I am more frugal than you.

And I'm more frugal than you two :P But yeah, it's crippling to want the best possible value.