Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

The W is just dizzy lately, crystals all jacked up in the ears. 

Quite a bit different animal. The fox is the Beetle of it's day.

Going from an OBD1 system to OBD2 is a breeze.

A task you obviously do not understand the depth of.

Probably going to be powering the Crystal cmpx2 15 with an Audison SR1Dk. I can get quite the deal on one. Looks to be a nice amp with plenty of power. I don't see the difference in getting 1200 watts and 1600 watts to be huge to me and money talks lol.

Seth - curious if you've seen horror on the FX's? Sits on a 370z chassis converted to AWD. Can't even believe I am asking about a Japanese car.

Not a fan of anything Nissan anymore. Transmission problems out the ass and considerable drivability issues. While the typical auto trannys are not completely terrible, they are bad enough. Be sure the vehicle you look at does not wear the CVT tranny... Nissan CVTs are total shit. The 3.7 is a fucking solid engine, however.

Quite a bit different animal. The fox is the Beetle of it's day.

Going from an OBD1 system to OBD2 is a breeze.

A task you obviously do not understand the depth of.

Not in whole. I just know the mod motor swap in my foxbody mustang was a breeze.

A question to the vape guys, what juice do you guys like? I grabbed a few Halo juices, but I am looking for some others. I grabbed up some Liquidizer EJMix for my dabs (it is a tasteless, orderless PG blend with various molecular weight oils to help suspend the larger BHO molecules yet keep the tank atomizer clean from clogging), so that is covered. But beyond a couple tobacco blends I have nothing. I do like to smoke a pipe (generic cherry Cavendish is good, as is Blue Note and DaVinci) so I am open to a similar juice. I am obviously open to several suggestions, but I don't like overtly fruity shit and I abhor coconut.

FWIW I bought the Halo G6 with blank carts, a mini tank, and their Turkish Delight on Friday, then I went ahead this weekend and bought the Halo Triton with the 650 batteries and the variable battery for a more permanent dabs solution, and a couple more mini tanks for the G6 as well as their HX-3 and Tribeca  juices. I figure the G6 is for public use, the larger Triton is for home use as it is more conspicuous. After researching the shit out of vaporizers, atomizers and e-cigs I think I made wise choices for my level of vaping, and allowing for some room for growth.

I see Green Smoke also offers a trade in deal, so I am going to trade in my Blu to get their "Essentials Kit" just to try a few different things.

Seth - curious if you've seen horror on the FX's? Sits on a 370z chassis converted to AWD. Can't even believe I am asking about a Japanese car.

Not a fan of anything Nissan anymore. Transmission problems out the ass and considerable drivability issues. While the typical auto trannys are not completely terrible, they are bad enough. Be sure the vehicle you look at does not wear the CVT tranny... Nissan CVTs are total shit. The 3.7 is a fucking solid engine, however.

You drive me nuts!

:-)

What cars are reliable and fun? Or is that just diametrically opposed in your opinion?

I don't know anyone with as much mechanic history who has as diverse of a range of cars as you.

Halfway there. Probably not buying the 3.5 version as boost will get it beyond the 5.0 but with the loss of towing rating I can't have. Definitely no CVT that has 7 speeds that i know of.

You drive me nuts!

What cars are reliable and fun? Or is that just diametrically opposed in your opinion?

I don't know anyone with as much mechanic history who has as diverse of a range of cars as you.

Honestly, performance and reliability generally do not go hand in hand. I have had my fun, and now the things that matter to me are dependability and comfort. I work 12 hours a day 5 days a week on cars if I don't have any side work, I don't want to spend my time repairing my own, and I do not like to spend money on repairs. I tend to base my evaluations on my personal wants and needs, which I think translates into most people's feelings about cars... I don't want my vehicle broken down and costing me a lot of money to repair.

My current shop boasts proficiency in hybrid/total electric, Jeep, Euro (specializing in BMW and VAG), and Asian (with a focus on Nissan). But we do work on all makes and models. The owner focuses his advertising on owners of said vehicle types as well as a specific income level, sending out roughly 10,000 fliers a month. He is expanding the marketing to include domestics since I am here now. He employs a company called Cucui (I am certain I am spelling it wrong, it is pronounce Coo-Coo-Ee) to perform market research. It has definitely expanded my hands on of modern vehicles. I have been deeply submerged in the domestic market for a long time now and until early this year I have not had my hands on many Euros since I left SoCal in '99

Halfway there. Probably not buying the 3.5 version as boost will get it beyond the 5.0 but with the loss of towing rating I can't have. Definitely no CVT that has 7 speeds that i know of.

The 3.5 and 3.7 are the same essential engine They are a variant of the 3L Nissan. In all honestly they are one of the best gasoline platforms on the market over the last 20 years, only bested by the Buick 3.8 platform. I am referring only to the engine durability, and longevity without failures, not external issues. They were plagued by injector problems for many years (in the 80s and early 90s the problems were so bad they caught fire), and that is still a reality... not the fires, but their injectors are shit. Their coils are really bizarre, as when one fails you must replace them all. If you don't, it will likely set misfire codes on other cylinders even though no miss is evident. I hate doing water pumps, as they are driven by the timing chain... a design I struggle to find any real benefit from.

It isn't just performance that wears on the car, but the driver. I beat the piss out of my cars, not in a way that hurts them with stupidity but definitely pushes the limit. Not surprised I tossed front wheel bearings with 295's up there and 80k miles.

That being said, what I am now further frightened of is design overshoot and really expensive repair bills due to it. The AMG is littered with those situations and I know the Cayenne is much better in comparison, but the ghosts that can occur are frightening.

So yep. United had a cart waiting for us and still missed the flight. Sleeping in a raggedy ass marriott airport room tonight.

I don't know what else to test drive......

i understand

The V10 m5 is awesome. It feels passionate. I love how it's fun. I can fit, albeit not easily. It has the advantage of being a sedan. Not much is faster.

The 997 is nearly perfect, but so expensive....Better gas mileage though.

I guess I'm late but skar is gone?

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:43, said:

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:43, said:

dem beats, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:00, said:

dem beats, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:00, said:

sandt38, on 23 Nov 2013 - 19:04, said:

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 16:47, said:

You drive me nuts!

Honestly, performance and reliability generally do not go hand in hand. I have had my fun, and now the things that matter to me are dependability and comfort. I work 12 hours a day 5 days a week on cars if I don't have any side work, I don't want to spend my time repairing my own, and I do not like to spend money on repairs. I tend to base my evaluations on my personal wants and needs, which I think translates into most people's feelings about cars... I don't want my vehicle broken down and costing me a lot of money to repair.

My current shop boasts proficiency in hybrid/total electric, Jeep, Euro (specializing in BMW and VAG), and Asian (with a focus on Nissan). But we do work on all makes and models. The owner focuses his advertising on owners of said vehicle types as well as a specific income level, sending out roughly 10,000 fliers a month. He is expanding the marketing to include domestics since I am here now. He employs a company called Cucui (I am certain I am spelling it wrong, it is pronounce Coo-Coo-Ee) to perform market research. It has definitely expanded my hands on of modern vehicles. I have been deeply submerged in the domestic market for a long time now and until early this year I have not had my hands on many Euros since I left SoCal in '99

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:09, said:

///M5, on 23 Nov 2013 - 20:09, said:

>

The 3.5 and 3.7 are the same essential engine They are a variant of the 3L Nissan. In all honestly they are one of the best gasoline platforms on the market over the last 20 years, only bested by the Buick 3.8 platform. I am referring only to the engine durability, and longevity without failures, not external issues. They were plagued by injector problems for many years (in the 80s and early 90s the problems were so bad they caught fire), and that is still a reality... not the fires, but their injectors are shit. Their coils are really bizarre, as when one fails you must replace them all. If you don't, it will likely set misfire codes on other cylinders even though no miss is evident. I hate doing water pumps, as they are driven by the timing chain... a design I struggle to find any real benefit from.
Based on the vq30de that is in my i30? I am going to be shopping for two cars in the near future. One is going to be ~$13-15k for myself, and the other one my Mother has asked me to research in the $30-45k range. I have been very happy with my Infiniti and I know that the engine and tranny are well built, but have heard a lot of bad things about the newer nissans. What are some reliable used (Moms could be new.) low millage cars in those ranges? Both would be medium to large sedans with a v6 or a turbo 4. Just looking for something with some get up and go that will still be reasonable with gas. I know that it's a broad question but anything to avoid or consider? Both will likely be driven for a good amount of time, and would be expected to be reliable for 100k+.

Sean,

I'm just shocked you posted about the F150. I' didn't see you looking that direction.

J

That negative rep troll is starting to piss me off.

That negative rep troll is starting to piss me off.

They have it out for me too...whatever though lol

Lol seems like you, me and Jon are the targets

Lol seems like you, me and Jon are the targets

Yeah the straight shooters seem to get it.

Wheres my middle finger button when I need one? Lol

It would be great if the system was set up so you could see who hated on you or who didn't