Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

Not reading the whole Kluwe thing, but he was one of the highest paid punters, had a mediocre year followed by a shitty year, and rebelled in nearly every meeting and publicly ridiculed the coaching staff around Minneapolis. Sure it was because he is a proponent of gay marriage. Minneapolis per capita is more gay than San Fran so that seems likely. What a cock fart.

So my MIL got us a new cookware set and it's a ceramic non stick. Are most ceramic non stick surfaces metal utensil safe?

It is supposed to be, but it really isn't. Buy silicone utensils.
The nonstick I have claims to be metal utensil safe but I still don't use metal on them. I would not recommend cladded SS to someone unless they are an experienced cook. (I have a SS set also) I have a set of cast iron thats great for cooking proteins too. smile.png

http://www.anolon.com/shop-anolon.html?Brand=Anolon+Advanced

This is the brand I have now. What brand/set did you get?

Swiss Diamond. Solid set. My wife scratched up the 10 inch pan with metal spats. We have a set of Oxo silicones but she wouldn't listen.

There is nothing you need a metal stirring device for that should be cooked in non-stick. Hell I'd go so far to say there is nothing that should be cooked in non-stick period. I have an All Clad non-stick pan that I maybe used in 2013, but perhaps not. My wife uses it for reheating leftovers slowly which is a valid use.

So either Tenacious is retarded or a troll. Has to be the most out spoken confused person I've seen on an audio forum. $10 says he runs Blues Audio or LP stuff.

Eggs was a good question though MK. IMO it is a great test of a real chef. VERY simple, but VERY easy to fuck up.

I used to use a non-stick myself for eggs, but the blue steel makes them taste WAY better.

I would understand though if you all chose to use non-stick for eggs. Is a valid use actually. Never needs high heat and sticking seriously screws things up.

My major confusion though is meat. I don't understand how anyone ever cooks any meat in a non-stick pan. YUCK.

I posted that too!!!!!

But I just linked it.

So in true forum fashion....

TLDR bro!

In my defense, I have been drinking.

I am curious what else you would choose to use a non-stick for. I seriously have no idea what their use would be.

As a side, I do not use Cast Iron for really anything either. The rare exception is when I have too much stuff for a pan and need it to hold heat. I use my Cast though about 10x for every time I use non-stick.

ANY pan can be non-stick. It just requires focus on the user. The Blue steel is way easier than a normal stainless and considering for eggs you don't need heat adjustments (which the cheapo blue steel pans suck at) it is fine.

I use that pan for crepes, large pancakes and eggs. Nothing else.

My issue is I like to cook my bacon then use the grease for the eggs, but I can't do bacon in non stick and then eggs. Not sure if I could do it in the crepe pan.

What does it do to make it better?

My issue is I like to cook my bacon then use the grease for the eggs, but I can't do bacon in non stick and then eggs. Not sure if I could do it in the crepe pan.

What does it do to make it better?

You shouldn't cook your eggs in the bacon crumbs. Just save the grease in a jar in the fridge and use it for whatever.

Bacon you should bake in the oven btw.

It allows browning and cooking. Maillard is your friend in the kitchen. And if he isn't your best friend in the kitchen he should become so.

And if you did cook bacon in a crepe pan and then tried to cook eggs without washing and potentially even reseasoning the pan they would surely stick.

But as with ALL meat you want it to stick to the pan. Bacon is the one unusual protein that I add to a cold pan.

From what I understand from my quick reading about Maillard. Bacon at 350* in the oven. I don't understand the cold pan though, promotes even cooking?

Does the Millard reaction have anything to do with the egg on the crepe pan?

I usually make my scrambled eggs by stirring constantly on and off the heat makes for very fluffy eggs with no milk neededm

Everyone have a nice holiday? The drive to NY wasn't so bad. Just some fog in PA. The trip back was pretty fun, just a bit slow.

J

Ok so you drove through PA and I bet real close to me and did not let me know?

Not super close but somewhat. I was passing thru PA at 3 am ish as well.

J

From what I understand from my quick reading about Maillard. Bacon at 350* in the oven. I don't understand the cold pan though, promotes even cooking?

Maillard and bacon are unrelated. Bacon in a cold pan helps keep the curls from happening and considering it is a rather low heat cook that is a good thing.

Does the Millard reaction have anything to do with the egg on the crepe pan?

Yes, you want to heat eggs slowly but I still like mine to brown. You should never use enough heat to brown anything in a non-stick pan. Plain white looking egg whites are not good eats IMO

I usually make my scrambled eggs by stirring constantly on and off the heat makes for very fluffy eggs with no milk neededm

Why would you do them on and off the heat instead of finding the temp that you can just sit there at?