ncc74656

2 subs at different tuning?

i want a system that is crazy loud with great frequency range. i like hearing the jumps and drops from one frequency sweep to the next in my songs. i had a sub @44hz that i loved but it was not loud enough and had no low end (44hz, no low end? go figure). so i bought a new one and tuned to 35 and now i have no high end. so my thought was this. what about building a wall, dual ported subs with one tuned to 32hz and the second at 40 or 45hz. installing xovers and subsoncs to prevent the 2 subs from over laping one another. would this work or should i just build a sealed box and be done with it?

i was thinking 2 SP4 18's

Keep similar speakers doing similar things, keep your subs low and get a midbass. Or upgrade sub?

Don't do that. Building anything in life requires compromise, this is one of them. You have great high end, or low end, or a steady flat response, but you can't have it all.

Don't do that. Building anything in life requires compromise, this is one of them. You have great high end, or low end, or a steady flat response, but you can't have it all.

You can surely have it all...if room isn't an issue.

Time for a sealed box and some eq to drop what is exaggerated so you have it all.

M5, I would like to hear more about how sealed would give him the desired sound?

more so

Couldn't help but think about this thread when I read this.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/58548-15in-dcons-sealed-vs-ported/

When I was trying to decide whether to go sealed or ported with my Dcons, this guy said he had best results with one of each.... that way he had the best of both worlds. I went ported, but still wonder how that would sound. Never seen it done before (I'm guessing there are reasons I don't understand for it not being practical)..... but seemed to sound the best to this guy.

i agree wt the sealed box.

You wont be as loud but you will have a better freq range

Ported boxes seem to be more peaky

M5, I would like to hear more about how sealed would give him the desired sound?

OP wants output and a good frequency response.

2 18s = output.

sealed enclosure = good frequency response.

----

You want a smooth frequency response at the least, and generally the more linear the better. The less EQ needed the better.

Using two different enclosure alignments creates an unneeded problem of two different frequency responses that would require extensive EQ for "mating" them together. So yes you could could do it, but it probably wouldn't sound as good as simply using one alignment with a better frequency response right from the get-go, and than using slight EQ to fix what's excessive.

Oh and I'm not the purple man. Just my take on his suggestion and the OP's idea.

Edited by stefanhinote

i feel i need to start this by saying In my world the sub should take 25-150hz and it is that range that i want my subs to take. above that my 10" mids will handle and then tweets.

now i know my desire to have a sub xover at 150 is strange and i got those responses in the home audio world and DJ world as well but its just how i like my music. hearing is not enough, i want to feel the sweeps through that range.

I have 10" mid range and you can hear them but you cant feel them. my old sub was a BL18 @ 44hz and it allowed me to FEEL the high end bass but obviously with no low end. so now my SP418@34hz allows me to have great low end BUT what drives me crazy is when a song has a low burp that flows into a long sweep up the higher spectrum range. well with the lower tune i only feel the burp and then the volume drops and i can only kind of hear the sweep. 

ok if im honest you can hear it but you just cant really hear it you know? like the sweep is around 50DB while the burp is 120 with all this flowing bass that shakes everything. 

so the idea of a SP4 and a BL, one at 32 adn one at 44 was my first idea. my thought was that if i xover and such i could divide the bass loads and get both but it seems an EQ and other such things were left unconsidered. 

if i go with a sealed i will loose output but how much? i will install my SP4 into a sealed box once i get my amp repaired and see how it sounds. perhaps dual SP4's in sealed?

Go for it, if you have the space to give up for it..

Don't bend my recommendation. If you really want a huge frequency range you are going to give up output. You compensate with more drivers, more box, and more power.

Tuning 10hz higher isn't going to give you response to 150hz.  You need an EQ, a ton of displacement potential and subs with relatively low inductance if you want flat response to 150hz.   

k. well i will build the box as soon as my new amp arrives (F*** thieves) and ill find out just what this sub can do with out a port. ill shop around for an EQ... i could buy a new deck like a DEH80 OR i could buy a stand alone EQ. what do you think is best?

Best is relative. Not sure what you will need to taper. Box limitations 1st, then drivers, then eq. Again, don't misrepresent what I recommended. I didn't mean just slap any old sub in a box and seal it up. You will have to choose a driver that is not only optimized for your box, but also your needs of a higher frequency response.

If I were you though, I'd focus on the front stage install instead. Might not get it to be mean all the way down to 80Hz, but you can surely make it do most of what you are asking for.

What 10" mids are you using, and what crossover points? How are they installed, on door sheet metal, or door panel? Doors sound deadened, holes sealed up?

Reason I ask is out of all the subwoofers I've had I've never been happy with any of them crossed over at 80hz (could not imagine them crossed at 150hz). I eventually started crossing over in the 50hz range, and was WAY happier, so now I wonder what mids you're using that fail to cover that area.

PWX 10" on my eclipse amp. the mids are on wood spacers on the 1/8" gauge sheet metal doors. the truck has 200sq feet of sound deadening in it. i can clearly hear the bass down to about 60hz on the PWX and i can feel the bass in my chest around the 150-200hz range from them but its just not as loud as i want. like i want the 125hz bass to hit and to not be able to breath durring it...

to that end what do you think about 2 SP4's on 2 strapped square audio amps? in a sealed box. 

i have limited room int he back of my truck due to tools and my truck is used for work. the absolute most i think i could fit back there sealed would be 3 18's or 2 in vented.

lol. ok well that answers that. what i get hung up on is my BL sounded exactly how i want the high end to be and my SP4 sounds exactly how i want my low end to be. i would just require the low end to be a bit flatter on response curve and then to combine these two subs some how. 

2 identical drivers in seperate enclosures with different tuning may run into phase issues (especially around tuning) and actually reduce your desired output...  You could model and compare phase to see...

Do you think those pwx give you enough midbass ? I don't know, I've never tested them.

I've never tried to cross my sub over 80-100 Hz.

You have 2 18"s, and you want them to blend very well with your front stage ? That seems hard to do, unless you turn down the gain on your bass amp, and have very loud midbass speakers.

just my 2 cents.

I can't even stand being cut @ 80Hz. 150 would be awful.

lol, i have so many people tell me that anything over 65hz is crazy but i started out in home audio and i have PA speakers (horn tweets with 12" drivers) and 15" subs for my computer speakers and the sub is crossed at 125hz. the 12" drivers take 60-3500hz so i have always had that high mid range bass...

i am cutting my doors apart to build new fiberglass pods. so if i need to add a second set of 10's then so be it but right now my vocals and mid range are able to keep up. i just want the volume level of mid bass from my sub and i do not think that i can obtain that volume level out of any mid range.

to be clear my highs and mid range are ok (maybe a little low when the sub is fully maxed but not by much). its the mid-high true bass that i want to increase the volume on. 

i have my 2500.1 going out tomorrow for repair, when it was stolen they crossed the power wires and fried it so... yea. once i get that back i will start playing with my box again. 

i think i will make 1 sealed and 1 octo port box. i want to build a series of ports from 32-39 and up through 45hz to see how the sound changes. there is a way to do a bandpass thing where one side of a sub is sealed and the other vented right? i feel like i have seen those, would that give me the ability to have the best of both worlds?

lol, i have so many people tell me that anything over 65hz is crazy but i started out in home audio and i have PA speakers (horn tweets with 12" drivers) and 15" subs for my computer speakers and the sub is crossed at 125hz. the 12" drivers take 60-3500hz so i have always had that high mid range bass...

i am cutting my doors apart to build new fiberglass pods. so if i need to add a second set of 10's then so be it but right now my vocals and mid range are able to keep up. i just want the volume level of mid bass from my sub and i do not think that i can obtain that volume level out of any mid range.

to be clear my highs and mid range are ok (maybe a little low when the sub is fully maxed but not by much). its the mid-high true bass that i want to increase the volume on. 

i have my 2500.1 going out tomorrow for repair, when it was stolen they crossed the power wires and fried it so... yea. once i get that back i will start playing with my box again. 

i think i will make 1 sealed and 1 octo port box. i want to build a series of ports from 32-39 and up through 45hz to see how the sound changes. there is a way to do a bandpass thing where one side of a sub is sealed and the other vented right? i feel like i have seen those, would that give me the ability to have the best of both worlds?

No.