nigel

brought home some wood - the plans...

so as i said in my other post in the fab section, I got a little money for my birthday, so some of it went towards this:

DSC_0272.jpg

So, out with the old sealed:

DSC_0273.jpg

Here's the helper that I've enlisted:

DSC_0274.jpg

Now just to finalize the plans.  Aiming for ~4 cubes at 34 Hz, Sub up still, port back.  Still have some other left over MDF in the garage, so I should have enough wood now.

Edited by nigel

I think I like where this is going.

My Jeep doesn't like wood strapped to the roof like that.

roof rack is awesome. put anything up there.

It's an RE SEX 15.

Yes, plenty of room, so when the helper is old enough and we want to we have something to compete with.

The vehicle is a nissan x-trail.  Was only available in canada in 2005,2006 plus in europe and australia.  Nissan never released a U.S. version of it.  Great little SUV and reliable.  Was replaced by the rogue which has half the cargo room and is all angles in the back.

so, some of today's progress:

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

So at this point, I noticed that when I was drawing my lines for my cuts at 10 last night, The outside of the box on the port side that was supposed to be 3/4 of an inch longer than the opposing side I measured wrong. For some reason I marked 16.25" instead of 17.25" oops....

So I am going to need to go to my other supplies to get a piece big enough to cut a new one, but that's ok, since the piece I measured to short I can still use to cut to the right size to make on of my port walls, so that's fine.

Also, I would've been able to get more done today, but this guy tried volunteering his assistance:

DSC_0280.jpg

So I had to keep stopping...

Will be on 12 hour shifts the next two, then camping for the weekend, so, likely no more progress till next week.

Edited by nigel

so pieces that I got cut today are:

Top, bottom, front, back, and 1 side (messed up the other one), but, I no longer have one massive sheet of mdf taking up all of the space in my garage...

Still to go:  other side, inside port walls, bracing, cut hole for sub and assembly.

So my big question at this point:

Should I make the port serpentine, or L shaped?  is there an advantage of one over the other?

Edited by nigel

Good question !
I'm waiting for the answer ;)

I wanted an Xtrail some years ago, and I finally bought a Toyota auris (like a bigger corolla hatchback). But this SUV is a nice car.

Keep on posting pics :)

Thanks.

ok, some evening progress to post up:

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

Front, back, one side, and bottom glued, screwed and nailed.  The little helper was awesome.

You have got one awesome helper! :)

So how much does this guy charge for enclosures? Definitely looks like a grade A professional job and I have a rebuild for 4 18's that I could use an enclosure for ;-)

he's very expensive.  very, very expensive.  But worth every penny at the same time.

The little one in post #7 really wants to help too, but he's not quite able yet.  Both love music, tools and anything I do, so I have many fun years ahead.

thanks for the views and replies, hopefully get back at this next week, rest of this one is gonna be too busy.

nice work so far....

thanks all. like said above, might get a minute tonight to look at this but probably not, 12 hr shift tommorow followed by a union meeting and vote on a new contract, then camping for the weekend so progress from here is going to be slow.

some updates from today and Thursday night.

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

1/4 inch round over used on inside of port walls, as well as very small 45 degree angle pieces on all interior corners (would have coved them but my only cove bit for my router is too big for what I wanted).

Still have to cut the side wall for the port side, (as previously mentioned accidentally cut 1" too short in my sleepy state of haste previously) and as such need to get some more wood. Will be using the 1/4" roundover on the front edge of the port opening as well.

And 2 braces that will be installed later (one front to back, one top to bottom)

DSC_0292.jpg

Edited by nigel

Well, keep forgetting to update this, did a few small things here and there with it over the past week, then last night and today got some work done. Here's the progress:

So I just did up my wire leads that will go to the sub:

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

didn't have any red heat shrink big enough for the positive wires, so I used blue.

And on to the box:

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Edited by nigel

Looks good!

trink40.gif trink40.gif Looking good!

thanks, put it in when my wife got home from work to test fit and have a listen.  wow, definitely a lot louder than the sealed box I had in there.  And sounds nice too (to me that is, everyone has their preferences).

Will have to take some more pics when I have the chance but about to head in to work for the night.

Still need to figure out how I want to cover it...  not sure whether I want to paint,carpet, vinyl?  Need to figure it soon though.

Awesome work!  Lil helpers are awesome.

Thanks for the compliments. Having the little helpers is fun and trying on the patience all at the same. Can't wait till they're old enough to be buying/designing/building with me. More than the little they can now.

I hear you on that- I have 4 boys...a 2yo, twin 6yo's, and 14yo.  Patience is a virtue I had to aquire.LOL

still needing to learn patience.  As I have none.  Hopefully that'll change soon....   doubtful.  Anyway, at disney world till sunday, so won't be any progress here for a while.