Lee Carter

Lee's Avalanche Build

OK gentlemen- Time to start a Build thread for my 2007 Avalanche.

First off- this is in the planning / parts gathering stage- and it isn't gonna be an overnight kind of build.  So be patient with me.

Plans- 

2 DSS Ethos 15's

10 cubes tuned to 22hz (looking for loud without being real peaky) in the bed

Crescendo Power (BC3500 and C1100.4)

Pioneer H/U (something in the avh-x line)

Not sure on Front stage yet

Plan to run a Singer Alt(320 amp most likely)

Dual AGM stock size batteries

Story up til now.  I had my Burb since last spring-- and after doing the system for the Suzuki, I ended up buying the Crescendo 3500 from W140, and placed a pair of DSS Ethos on order during Q's christmas lay a way deal.  Then during Black Friday I snagged a 1100.4 from Crescendo on sale.  At this point this was all planned for the Burb.  Well in December I was considering a new DD...and bought the Avalanche, specifically thinking it was perfectly suited for this setup.  Even looked specically for the orange to match my beautiful amps.LOL  So I have the amps,  Just got the Ethos paid for- should be in about 2 weeks.  After alot of back and forth with Quentin, he convinced me that this enclosure should fit my desires.  Can't wait to get this thing pounding. 

The Starting Point-

2013-12-07074141.jpg

2014-01-19161415.jpg

first things i done were replace the windsheild, the threw a dash cover(has the dreaded dash crack), and installed a magnaflow muffle and SLP tailpipe/tips.

2014-01-23141850.jpg

86'ed the roof rack-

before-

2014-02-05141321.jpg

After-

2014-02-05151631.jpg

The headlights and bowtie were next-

before-

2014-02-06123151.jpg

After-

2014-02-06145249.jpg

The box plans-

AVSubbox2.jpg

A trip to H/D with my lil helper-

2014-03-05170534.jpg

Then I put the box in the truck- LOL 

2014-03-05170934.jpg

Ok...that was kind of mean.LOL  Plan to work on it this weekend.

Edited by Leedogg

Cant wait to see this come together!

Awesome progress and awesome truck!!! Man, your truck is gonna HATE you for tuning that low!! Lol

Frustrated today....I screwed up the dang cut list on some of the cuts, and tried to cut my on- the turned out like poo! (I am NOT a carpenter.LOL)  Throwing all this wood out.  Gonna redo my cutlist when I get back to work(where I have the deminsions in sketchup) and start over. 

So basically I am putting everything on hold for 2 weeks.

I am sooo excited for next week! 

Ordered a Pioneer AVH-X5600 through Sonic Electronics. They had it in stock- Amazon had a 2 week delivery time...sonic is 6 days. Comes with a free dash kit- so it worked out about the same as Amazon in cost.

Also ordered: (though Amazon)
Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter
Axxess GM Wiring harness (GMOS-LAN-012)
TaoTronics TT-CC17 Rear view cam (License plate)

^^ Wasn't too sure bout the cam- but the reviews were great for it, and at 50 bucks- what the hell.

ALSO- i am expecting my Ethos 15's to arrive next week.  Will post some equipment pics when they come in.

Next big item to get: Alternator. 320 amp Singer most likely.  Will place the order for it on the 28th.  I get a little closer with each paycheck.LOL

that low of tuning will be awesome.

Have you tuned that low before?

I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress for sure.

Not tuning that low to get a rise at that frequency.  And no- i have never tuned so low- this is only my 2nd ported box build. 

The reasoning for the 22 hz tuning and 5 cubes/sub is at the recommendation of Quentin after several conversations of my goals.  I won't quote him, but it was something like a 3db curve from 25-100 hz or something like that.  Nice boosted across the widest spectrum possible to avoid any peakyness, yet still pound out good volume.  He is the expert- and recommended it(since I am not space limited)- so it is what I am doing. 

I believe his 'normal' recommended enclosure is 3.5 cubes per sub and tuning in the lower 30's, but the response has a higher spike at tuning.  Again not quoting specifics, just a broad interpretation from several PM's.LOL  I strongly suggest talking to Q directly when building to you're specific needs.

sucks about the cuts, but been there. Also, you have to take into account of the table saw, jig saw, whatever you're using, as it too will through off your cuts.

I get earfuls of shit for talking about wanting to tune low. :(

But I love me some lows, I'm excited to hear how it turns out!

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Getting good at straight cuts takes time and practice. I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a jack of all trades who did all the manual fix it jobs himself and taught me how when I was still young.

Patience and practice. It'll get there.

I built my first enclosure at 14 years old with my dads help, and some of those cuts were not pretty.

I get earfuls of shit for talking about wanting to tune low. sad.png

Tuning low for the hell of it vs getting a flat response are two different things. 

Getting good at straight cuts takes time and practice. I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a jack of all trades who did all the manual fix it jobs himself and taught me how when I was still young.

Patience and practice. It'll get there.

I built my first enclosure at 14 years old with my dads help, and some of those cuts were not pretty.

No doubt- I have built a handful of boxes(sealed) when I was young.  they weren't pretty- but they worked.  I am trying to do pretty(within reason), and much better fitting.  I let the dang home depot guy talk me into using plywood, and it warped, it was just all around a snufu on my part.  So I am going back to good ole MDF after reading the Birch vs mdf thread on here last week.  Should've stuck to what I knew.lol  Live and learn.  I am still very much a novice at this stuff.

ALSO- emailed Singer about options for Alts -- he had suggested a 275 or 350 amp unit, but I had some other questions to help me decide.

Edited by Leedogg

Well- recieved my radio and install stuff.  Got it put in today.

All the wires to tuck-

2014-03-22145646.jpg

dash pieces that had to be dremmel'd out for clearance-

2014-03-22160435.jpg

In the hole-

2014-03-22150520.jpg

Installed-

2014-03-22160445.jpg

Powered up.

2014-03-22153505.jpg

Definitely going to be watching this build! Also you bought the same plunge router as me lol I jus bought mine Tuesday.

will finish up the rear veiw camera tomorrow.  Liking the deck so far.  We also mounted the  bluetooth mic right above the mirror.  It really woke up the bose system.

I get earfuls of shit for talking about wanting to tune low. sad.png

Tuning low for the hell of it vs getting a flat response are two different things. 

For the hell of it? That's an ignorant assumption tongue.png

No reason to aim for a goal, if there is no goal to begin with... That's completely stupid. 

Edited by SpeakerBoy

No...hopefully I'll pick my wood up next wednesday or thursday.  I am working this week.

Finished the radio install('cept for running RCA's) on Tuesday- had to finish hooking up the rear view cam. But haven't took pics of it yet.  I will when I get back home.  Hoping to order an alternator and pick up batteries next week as well.

I get earfuls of shit for talking about wanting to tune low. :(

For the hell of it? That's an ignorant assumption :P

No reason to aim for a goal, if there is no goal to begin with... That's completely stupid.

It's only an ignorant statement if untrue and by your second statement, Im right so carry on.

Op lets get this build log moving, these Ethos builds get me excited. :woot:

Edited by jay-cee

Op lets get this build log moving, these Ethos builds get me excited. woot.gif

No more than me man.LOL  I am a single father of 4 boys with 2K/month in Child Support...I am doing the best I can. hahaha!

no...been storming since I got home...puts a huge damper on doing car audio in the driveway.  But on a side note- My boys and I have had a blast off roading in the Burb this weekend.

You better be getting it down soon!! I'm close to finishing :P