Sign in to follow this  
mikebingham34

Question for Aaron, which SSA sub

Hey everyone, this post/question is mainly directed toward the big guy.

I am wondering which SSA sub you would recommend to me given these limits/stipulations:

2014 Honda Civic Sedan

1500 Watts on tap (Crescendo Symphony 1500)

LIMITED SPACE... 

I am only looking to build and install an enclosure no larger than 1.5 net cubic feet.

That being said, I have been considering either a 12" ICON sealed. A 12" XCON sealed (XCON being the most I can afford). Or, one of those two in the 10" variety, ported. 

This is for a daily driver, and I will need as much trunk space I can get, but still get loud and sound good.

What is your input? 

Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

quick answer

10" Xcon ported because it stays within your enclosure size. The Xcon is an Icon on steroids, it can sound great but get loud doing it

As a person currently using a 10" XCON on 1500 watts I will second Sean's recommendation on the 10" ported.  Unless you're simply used to the abusive output of a pair of 15's or something similar I don't think the 10" XCON will disappoint.  I get all the output I want from mine with the PR's which isn't as efficient in output as a standard ported enclosure (better than sealed though).  I've been tempted to go ahead and build a standard ported enclosure for it to play with but I'm not real keen on having to remove and reinstall the screws in the sub since I went through a great deal of trouble to ensure I had a perfect seal on the PR enclosure.

Anywho, my recommendation and vote would be for one of the 10's ported and my recommendation would also sway more toward the XCON.  

I think Aaron's quote in my signature on the difference between the ICON and XCON subs speaks volumes.

quick answer

10" Xcon ported because it stays within your enclosure size. The Xcon is an Icon on steroids, it can sound great but get loud doing it

As a person currently using a 10" XCON on 1500 watts I will second Sean's recommendation on the 10" ported. 

Anywho, my recommendation and vote would be for one of the 10's ported and my recommendation would also sway more toward the XCON.  

Thank you guys both for your time and help, after reading over your input, and some further deliberations... I have decided I will go with a 10 inch XCON in a nice ported enclosure. biggrin.png

I think you made the right choice.

nice choice! I need to downgrade..... cant be making a huge box to port my 15" Xcon ..... sad to say

really good choice

quick answer

Agreed.  The Xcon 10 on that power, ported, will have the greatest potential.

As a person currently using a 10" XCON on 1500 watts I will second Sean's recommendation on the 10" ported.  Unless you're simply used to the abusive output of a pair of 15's or something similar I don't think the 10" XCON will disappoint.  I get all the output I want from mine with the PR's which isn't as efficient in output as a standard ported enclosure (better than sealed though).  I've been tempted to go ahead and build a standard ported enclosure for it to play with but I'm not real keen on having to remove and reinstall the screws in the sub since I went through a great deal of trouble to ensure I had a perfect seal on the PR enclosure.

I think Aaron's quote in my signature on the difference between the ICON and XCON subs speaks volumes.

Haha, totaly forgot about that as I have signatures off, but yeah it works in this case. ;)

I think you made the right choice.

Agreed.

nice choice! I need to downgrade..... cant be making a huge box to port my 15" Xcon ..... sad to say

Seal it up?

really good choice

:woot: