mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

My lab has another 2 weeks of having his bottom jaw wired and pinned after running into the UPS truck! Broke his bottom jaw right down the middle after he got caught between the tire and fender.

Poor dog, atleast he's alive. Must of wanted that tire pretty bad.

My yellow lab has cost me a boat load in vet bill's.

He's such a friendly dog and loves to greet everybody. Problem is he has been deaf since birth and the driver turned as Chase was running along side and well the rest not to sure about other than his jaw and the 3rd layer of his eyelid was tore off! $600+ later and he's good to go rolleyes.gif

Moral of the story?

You're dog is a CHAMP!

And next time I have a need for facial reconstruction and to be sewed up, I'm going to a vet to save 15k?

My lab has another 2 weeks of having his bottom jaw wired and pinned after running into the UPS truck! Broke his bottom jaw right down the middle after he got caught between the tire and fender.

Poor dog, atleast he's alive. Must of wanted that tire pretty bad.

My yellow lab has cost me a boat load in vet bill's.

He's such a friendly dog and loves to greet everybody. Problem is he has been deaf since birth and the driver turned as Chase was running along side and well the rest not to sure about other than his jaw and the 3rd layer of his eyelid was tore off! $600+ later and he's good to go rolleyes.gif

Moral of the story?

You're dog is a CHAMP!

And next time I have a need for facial reconstruction and to be sewed up, I'm going to a vet to save 15k?

Moral of the Story is Chase is a survivor trink40.gif

Vet was very good and specializes in dogs so that helped. Chase is back to his happy go lucky self and really no worse for wear now other than some scabs on his head. Eating and playing normally!

Me thinks 30mpg = myth

In the f250 I drove long distance in we averaged 21mpg on a trip to Chicago and back. A fair amount of city included. This was stock, no tune and no engine mods. Maybe an exhaust but I don't think so. We calculated with paper and miles on the odo. I drove steady and never gunned it though. Never pulled from a stop fast. Just gentle large truck econ driving. It was one a mix of regular deisel and some home brew bio.

There is literally hundreds of HP and TQ hidden under the "green" parts put onto those Ford engines.

Guess I should mention the 100hp chip helps a bit too :D

If you take out the EGR you can get a heck of a lot more out of it too. Amazing how much power is locked up in those things.

I may or may not know someone who runs his deisel on used hydrolic fluid that he gets for free from someone else too.

gets about 21mpg too.

Some diesels work ok without the EGR, some don't :(

But there is a lot of power / liter to be made from modern diesels.

Interesting you mention that. I have heard some don'e work so hot without the EGR. Most fellas I know get a tune to to match the fact they took it out. I know the 6 liter turbo from Ford turns into a completely different (as in much stronger, more reliable, more efficient/cleaner) engine without the EGR and other "green" restrictions. Some of the enginears are getting 30+ mpg with the right tune on the fseries super duty's.

I hate all the "green" garbage on big trucks. How is it green when it reduces fuel effiencey by 15%-50%? Kind of like putting up light up bill boards to promote turning off lights when not in use.

:Doh:

And a big thanks goes to the .gov and emission requirements. I do know on the new F-series that they work a lot better if you take the particulate filter out.

Me thinks 30mpg = myth

In the f250 I drove long distance in we averaged 21mpg on a trip to Chicago and back. A fair amount of city included. This was stock, no tune and no engine mods. Maybe an exhaust but I don't think so. We calculated with paper and miles on the odo. I drove steady and never gunned it though. Never pulled from a stop fast. Just gentle large truck econ driving. It was one a mix of regular deisel and some home brew bio.

There is literally hundreds of HP and TQ hidden under the "green" parts put onto those Ford engines.

'Tis the beauty of Diesel. Need more power? Crank in more fuel.

No doubt. The "smoother" shift they program the tranny's with also wastes A good chunk of energy. They end up not letting the dang thing inhale or exhale optimally either.

Me thinks 30mpg = myth

'Tis the beauty of Diesel. Need more power? Crank in more fuel.

Works up to a point, need to be careful with the EGT's since diesels are opposite of petrol. The more fuel, the higher the EGT's.

On my engine for instance fuel delivery is governed by boost pressure. Add more boost and you have more fuel too. Can't wait to get all the parts in for oil cooling, after-run cooling and the heat wrap so I can add more boost safely :)

Matt2, on some diesels the EGR is useful in handling temperature spikes.

30MPG seems a lot, I think I can get 27-28MPG in the Jeep if I get smaller high-way tires but it's a lot lighter than a Ford truck :)

I hate all the "green" garbage on big trucks. How is it green when it reduces fuel effiencey by 15%-50%?

its not just about fuel economy; you also have to worry about the crap coming out the tailpipe

if you can increase fuel efficiency by 15-50% without affecting the amount of crap coming out the tailpipe, go for it

I'd LOVE a 6+ liter diesel in the Jeep. Would probably twist the unibody at the first go-pedal :lol:

Need more power? Crank in more fuel.

Until you're blowing black soot everywhere ;)

and yes there are too many of these "if it ain't smoking, it ain't shit" bumper sticker yokels blowing that crap out of the vertical stacked exhaust on their 3/4 ton diesel rigs; pisses me off...

the SEC has launched a civil suit against Goldman Sachs for securities fraud

I hate all the "green" garbage on big trucks. How is it green when it reduces fuel effiencey by 15%-50%?

its not just about fuel economy; you also have to worry about the crap coming out the tailpipe

if you can increase fuel efficiency by 15-50% without affecting the amount of crap coming out the tailpipe, go for it

Youre argument is self defeating in a way.

If I can consume 50% less fuel then only 50% less fuel needs to be made/store/kept viable. The energy to make the fuel and ship the fuel and service the fuel and create and maintain fuel supplies and all the other additives will BY FAR put out more overall waste than the slight increase that would happen at the consumer level(AKA tail pipe). Additives are even more needed in deisel and cause much much worse problems.

It's a bit like hybrid cars.... They are not as effecient as an effecient 1 energy type car.

Take fuel energy convert to motion(loose energy in friction, also heat and noise), convert motion to electric energy(create more heat more noise, add friction and some level of resistance), store electircal energy at less than 100% effecient rate, use electrical energy to creat motion and loose a whole truck load of energy in transmission heat friction noise joints and friction.

You basically double your losses. The extra enviromental effect of the manufacture and design of all the batteries and the use of more rare metals in the electric motor alone cause issues. Then the disposal of all the hazardous materials.

It's sillyness.

My Explorer has two cigarette lighters but neither are switched with the ignition, both are always on. Now that I got XM radio as a bday present, I'll need one to be switched so that I don't have to turn on/off the xm tuner every time I get into the car as that would get annoying real fast. I think I'll just splice it into my head unit's ignition power wire though as that looks to be 10x easier than tearing apart half of my dash to rewire one of the sockets.

USE a relay!

Matt2, on some diesels the EGR is useful in handling temperature spikes.

30MPG seems a lot, I think I can get 27-28MPG in the Jeep if I get smaller high-way tires but it's a lot lighter than a Ford truck :)

The temp thing, you can just use colder forced air. I do get your point though with the EGR being usefull. I just think it's an old design that could be removed and a new system improved. I don't have an answer though. If I did it would probable be too expencive to mass produce.

I should say I don't think black smoke pouring out of a deisel is a good thing, and it should be toned down, but the soot filters usually handle that quite well in modern engines. If you're using a cleaner/bett fuel you also have less bad exhaust. They also produce WAY less carbon monoxide, and that's a plus.

I huff Carbon Monoxide. Yummy.

and yes there are too many of these "if it ain't smoking, it ain't shit" bumper sticker yokels blowing that crap out of the vertical stacked exhaust on their 3/4 ton diesel rigs; pisses me off...

visual reference for those who have no clue what I'm talking about

diesel_smoke2.jpg

100_3146.jpg

That's why you need to use old filtered fry oil. Smells like french frys.

That does work on the ladies.

:D

:lol: