mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Not too long before you picked up your bike. Going to start training to do a couple 100 mile runs this summer

How do you train for a couple 100mi runs?

Guess you ride... A LOT! lol

My friend is doing the Texas 4000 this summer... How do you train for that?!? lol

TEXAS 4000 RIDE: Jack Reynolds

Friends Page

TEXAS 4000 RIDE: Routes

The route he's taking....

I am a bit sore today. Managed a 28mi jaunt yesterday. I have just matched my motorcycling numbers for the past three years in 8 days of pedalling.

There was a running marathon through Lawrence yesterday morning. As I was fishing I heard some people run by and one lady asked the guy where he was from, and he said Minnesota.

My colleague just took 11th in his age group. Going to be pissed tomorrow as he thought he could win or take 2nd.

Forgot to add, in the Boston.

Not too long before you picked up your bike. Going to start training to do a couple 100 mile runs this summer

How do you train for a couple 100mi runs?

Guess you ride... A LOT! lol

My friend is doing the Texas 4000 this summer... How do you train for that?!? lol

TEXAS 4000 RIDE: Jack Reynolds

Friends Page

TEXAS 4000 RIDE: Routes

The route he's taking....

I was just curious. I think I could have done another 6-10 yesterday so 100 isn't out of the impossible. I've done 100 on a mt bike before as well, just never trained for anything but rode for fun. Exactly what I am doing now with the subset goal of trying to get in shape. Not the most efficient way to do it, but the most fun IMO.

BTW, in case somebody somehow forgot, Aaron is a great dude.

I was just curious. I think I could have done another 6-10 yesterday so 100 isn't out of the impossible. I've done 100 on a mt bike before as well, just never trained for anything but rode for fun. Exactly what I am doing now with the subset goal of trying to get in shape. Not the most efficient way to do it, but the most fun IMO.

Ha, my bad. Thought you were joking. I'm going to approach it the same way I approach my running for the most part. Train 5 days a week something like this...

• Sunday - Rest
  • Monday - Bike X miles.
  • Tuesday - Interval Training. (Total is usually ~1.25*X to 1.5*X total for this day) 1/8*X at high intensity followed by 1/8*X at lower intensity Repeat 6 times (Alternate weeks - 1/4*X higher followed by 1/8*X lower Repeat 4)
  • Wednesday - Rest or cross train.
  • Thursday - Bike X miles.
  • Friday - Bike 2/3*X to 3/4*X miles.
  • Saturday - Bike (1+1/8)*X miles.

Goal is to increase this distance every week then the next week, it is your new X. This works well up until a point but when you start getting to longer distances the week is usually a series of smaller rides (Say 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/3 of your long ride, then your long ride) Just throwing out numbers there but something general like that.

For me, biking actually started as my cross training activity. I'm doing some running events this summer, so I'll have to tailor my training more to running as I need more running training than biking.

My heart rate stays much lower on the bike and my legs can pump through anything. Running is a whole different ball game for me with the elevated heart rate and being harder on my body, and since I'm running a lot of 5Ks this summer I'm going to try to just get faster in those, instead of pumping out a lot more distance.

Didn't realize how much of the side of my foot was all callus. Was taking a knife to my foot like crazy, with out a wince of feeling lol

Cool. Where would you buy said Endurox? ... or protein powder etc.

I have always been of the I eat natural shit direction and have absolutely no idea where/what/why supplements are used. Amusingly yesterday post ride I ate yogurt, a clif bar, an odwala bar, and banana smoothie and a crap ton of corned beef. My body sort of told me what to do. Today I ate a loaf of trailbread and some eggs for breakfast. :P

Locally you can get endurox at nutrition city if you want to support a small local place. I used to work there "back in the day". I think even places like REI and other stores of that nature might. It really has a huge following. Online? BB.com is my go to, I'm sure you can find it for less elsewhere. I just like that BB.com has decent prices almost always, and I can buy all my suplemets from them if I want to... Free shaker cups are nice too. Then I don't feel bad if I trash one.

Bodybuilding.com - Endurox Endurox R4 - Recovery Drink On sale now!

If you want to make a custom flavor blend check this place out.

True Protein | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements

The easiest though is maybe the yogurt(or whey protein) & OJ mix. It has potasium, sugar, vitamin C(probably the best thing other than asprin for stopping the soreness in muscles), hydration, and proteins that are easy to digest fast. The only thing that might make it better is if OJ was all dextrose and not fruictose.

You are in tune with your body it sounds like. That's rare and good. I'll snoop around and see if something is as well received as endurox. It's hard to beat though for availabilty, cost, performance, and credability. When I was working out hard I would just make sure right after I got done I took in 60+ grams of sugars that rated 100+ on the GI charts, and then 30 grams of protein with that, and another 30 grams 30 min later. Usually then a starchy meal after too. I home brewed most of my post work out shakes with either dextrose or tofuti 1000mg of vitamin C and whey protein. At the time I ate about 2 banana's(somtimes OJ instead) with a protein shake a day though and took a gram of vitamin C 2-3 times a day. It really kept off cramps and muscle soreness from lactic acid build up in hard worked muscles.

Ask me anything about sport nutrition and I will do my best to help. Soo many scammers out there.

No way in the world that should be called a Tacoma. Wonder what engine arrangement they are running to have such black smoke and high turbo twitter.

No bov ? Can't imagine such compressor surge on a modern race car.

Heres my "beast". IT needs a fresh coat of FLAT Black this year, and I will probably be building a tube front bumper and full roll cage.smile.gif

the specs: 1972 Chevy Blazer, 327ci. w/Powermaster 200amp alt. and dual red tops, 1-ton axles, Bilstein shocks, Detroit locker, 4wheel disc brakes, Super Swamper bias-ply TSL's.

I also have a Pioneer deck and some Polk speakers I will be installing.

Needs more rubber tongue.gif

Are those 31's ? Or 33's ?

They are 34x10.5's, I will probably put 39's or 40's but maybe only 37's We will see. The first part was to built the "beast" SO it could handle that big of meats!!!tongue.gif i.e. 1-Ton axles, but still need lower gears. Right now the springs are only 4" lift, but I made custom spring mounts SO its closer to 6" right now. ALSO there is NO body lift BUT I cut the bottom 6 inches off of the body is the reason IT lOoks so tall.biggrin.gif I need to build tube nerf bars. I plan on installing little flater and longer and softer front and rear leaf springs probably first (the reason for the custom adjustable spring mounts), then I will see what Tire fits best.smile.gif

Wow, the body sure makes the tyres look small biggrin.gif

No body lift is the way to go !

What kind of 1-ton axles ? Front looks like a D60 Chevy...+ 14bolt rear ?

your on it. Yes the front is D60 Chevy and 14 bolt full float w/detroit in thr rear, the gear ratio is only 4.10s. Fuck, this thing is a money pit. SO fun to drive though, its a convertable, a hot-rod and a 4-wheel drive all in one.

I'd love some full-width's under the Cherokee :D

Or even an old Bronco for fun.

All this bike talk really makes me go out and ride but my bike is too smal. Need to find a replacement and get myself into shape.

Cool. Where would you buy said Endurox? ... or protein powder etc.

I have always been of the I eat natural shit direction and have absolutely no idea where/what/why supplements are used. Amusingly yesterday post ride I ate yogurt, a clif bar, an odwala bar, and banana smoothie and a crap ton of corned beef. My body sort of told me what to do. Today I ate a loaf of trailbread and some eggs for breakfast. :P

Locally you can get endurox at nutrition city if you want to support a small local place. I used to work there "back in the day". I think even places like REI and other stores of that nature might. It really has a huge following. Online? BB.com is my go to, I'm sure you can find it for less elsewhere. I just like that BB.com has decent prices almost always, and I can buy all my suplemets from them if I want to... Free shaker cups are nice too. Then I don't feel bad if I trash one.

Bodybuilding.com - Endurox Endurox R4 - Recovery Drink On sale now!

If you want to make a custom flavor blend check this place out.

True Protein | High Quality Nutrition and Protein Supplements

The easiest though is maybe the yogurt(or whey protein) & OJ mix. It has potasium, sugar, vitamin C(probably the best thing other than asprin for stopping the soreness in muscles), hydration, and proteins that are easy to digest fast. The only thing that might make it better is if OJ was all dextrose and not fruictose.

You are in tune with your body it sounds like. That's rare and good. I'll snoop around and see if something is as well received as endurox. It's hard to beat though for availabilty, cost, performance, and credability. When I was working out hard I would just make sure right after I got done I took in 60+ grams of sugars that rated 100+ on the GI charts, and then 30 grams of protein with that, and another 30 grams 30 min later. Usually then a starchy meal after too. I home brewed most of my post work out shakes with either dextrose or tofuti 1000mg of vitamin C and whey protein. At the time I ate about 2 banana's(somtimes OJ instead) with a protein shake a day though and took a gram of vitamin C 2-3 times a day. It really kept off cramps and muscle soreness from lactic acid build up in hard worked muscles.

Ask me anything about sport nutrition and I will do my best to help. Soo many scammers out there.

I actually like the sound of the OJ, Yogurt, & Protein mix. Mostly because it seems more like real food. Really interested though in what is best for the body :)

I was so scheduled with meals and vitamins I could really specialize my post work out (pedaling) and not feel like I was missing out on the whole food aspect as my other meals and suplements rounded out my food intake really well.

I didn't care about flavor or mouth feel at that time, only results. Some protein out there tastes and smells like horse piss, but if it had a chance of being better, I would at least try it. I would even chew whey powder if I was going to miss a shake/meal and didn't have water or a shaker.

Basically, get the highest GI sugar you can in you right after your done pedaling. Combine it with a verry fast digesting protein. Personally I felt a huge boost in my overall performance if that drink has vitamin C and I follow it up with potasium.

I started with a more conventional 4:1 carb to protein mix. Then I exparaments with more carbs all the way up to a 10:1 (100grams dextrose 10 grams filtered broken down whey). I found that it made me so hungry I couldn't even make it home (if we drove to some distant trail). For me 60 grams of carbs and 30 grams of protein are just about perfect. Then 30 min after that I have another protein shake, and that will usually hold me over for about 3 hours when I would eat another meal.

I got the best results with the 60:30 mix. It was easy on my stomach and it had enough carbs to really get the nutrient shuttling effects/ igf-1 that I wanted. I add in the vitamin C because it's a great antioxident and I felt helped with day after pain. There is science supporting that vitamin C will reduce endurance though. It will reduce cellular mitochondria. I took 1-3 grams a day for a year and I didn't feel held back, but YMMV. For me it felt like it along with potasium helps reduce soreness by a great deal.

What you're really trying to do with the Carbs Sean is stop cortisol and get nutrients back into muscles and help clean out lactic acid too. High GI carbs after a work out the best because they stimulate insulin. Right after a work out you have high cortisol and high GH levels. The insulin spike helps to shuttle in nutrients to the cells, and now it's common beleif that by spiking insulin when your body has a high GH level you can help release lots of IGF-1 that will help build cells. The spike in insuline also stops cortisol, and that's the most important part as cortisol is what tells your body to eat muscles for energy and not fat.

To be sceintific with it just get a bag of dextrose and a bag of fast acting protein. Start with the 4:1 mix and then go from there. Once you get a ration of carbs to protein down, then add in vitamins you feel might help. B vitamins, or C, etc. Creatine wouldn't hurt either. Most people will tell you it's not for endurance and only for large muscles groups and they might be right. Slowest of the muscle fbers like to eat fat. But you use almost ever muscle fiber type when pedaling with any intensity. All other muscle groups use creating and ATP for energy.

Heres my "beast". IT needs a fresh coat of FLAT Black this year, and I will probably be building a tube front bumper and full roll cage.smile.gif

the specs: 1972 Chevy Blazer, 327ci. w/Powermaster 200amp alt. and dual red tops, 1-ton axles, Bilstein shocks, Detroit locker, 4wheel disc brakes, Super Swamper bias-ply TSL's.

I also have a Pioneer deck and some Polk speakers I will be installing.

Needs more rubber tongue.gif

Are those 31's ? Or 33's ?

They are 34x10.5's, I will probably put 39's or 40's but maybe only 37's We will see. The first part was to built the "beast" SO it could handle that big of meats!!!tongue.gif i.e. 1-Ton axles, but still need lower gears. Right now the springs are only 4" lift, but I made custom spring mounts SO its closer to 6" right now. ALSO there is NO body lift BUT I cut the bottom 6 inches off of the body is the reason IT lOoks so tall.biggrin.gif I need to build tube nerf bars. I plan on installing little flater and longer and softer front and rear leaf springs probably first (the reason for the custom adjustable spring mounts), then I will see what Tire fits best.smile.gif

Wow, the body sure makes the tyres look small biggrin.gif

No body lift is the way to go !

What kind of 1-ton axles ? Front looks like a D60 Chevy...+ 14bolt rear ?

your on it. Yes the front is D60 Chevy and 14 bolt full float w/detroit in thr rear, the gear ratio is only 4.10s. Fuck, this thing is a money pit. SO fun to drive though, its a convertable, a hot-rod and a 4-wheel drive all in one.

I'd love some full-width's under the Cherokee biggrin.gif

Or even an old Bronco for fun.

The original Bronco's from the early 70's are SUPER KOOL and have a good aftermarket following.

I was givin the blazer about 7-8 years ago as a bonus from a good friend I worked for several years, he still has another one thats SUPER CHERRY, he calls the other one "beauty". I guess you could say he got old and out grew my blazer. I have known the guy since I was 16 also, was his roommate and use to drive the "beast" before he gave it to me. He is a fuckin' Redneck SO that explains what I had to start with, I have spent years un-rednecking it and beefing it up.hehe.

getting it for FREE has made it easier to spent thousands of dollars on it.hehe.

The cherokee's are so light in weight, they are good off-roaders.smile.gif

im not gonna make a topic about this im just gonna ask here...

i wanna use my same box for my new suv... so......

port and sub to the rear of the suv?

port and sub to the roof ..

or port and sub to the cabin..

thanks yall....

lincoln navi by the way.

BTW, in case somebody somehow forgot, Aaron is a great dude.

:peepwall:

im not gonna make a topic about this im just gonna ask here...

i wanna use my same box for my new suv... so......

port and sub to the rear of the suv?

port and sub to the roof ..

or port and sub to the cabin..

thanks yall....

lincoln navi by the way.

Oddly enough I have an answer. A friend of mine tried a few configurations with his navigator and ended with subs and port to the rear. Later he put in a 3rd row and down sized.

I was so scheduled with meals and vitamins I could really specialize my post work out (pedaling) and not feel like I was missing out on the whole food aspect as my other meals and suplements rounded out my food intake really well.

I didn't care about flavor or mouth feel at that time, only results. Some protein out there tastes and smells like horse piss, but if it had a chance of being better, I would at least try it. I would even chew whey powder if I was going to miss a shake/meal and didn't have water or a shaker.

Basically, get the highest GI sugar you can in you right after your done pedaling. Combine it with a verry fast digesting protein. Personally I felt a huge boost in my overall performance if that drink has vitamin C and I follow it up with potasium.

I started with a more conventional 4:1 carb to protein mix. Then I exparaments with more carbs all the way up to a 10:1 (100grams dextrose 10 grams filtered broken down whey). I found that it made me so hungry I couldn't even make it home (if we drove to some distant trail). For me 60 grams of carbs and 30 grams of protein are just about perfect. Then 30 min after that I have another protein shake, and that will usually hold me over for about 3 hours when I would eat another meal.

I got the best results with the 60:30 mix. It was easy on my stomach and it had enough carbs to really get the nutrient shuttling effects/ igf-1 that I wanted. I add in the vitamin C because it's a great antioxident and I felt helped with day after pain. There is science supporting that vitamin C will reduce endurance though. It will reduce cellular mitochondria. I took 1-3 grams a day for a year and I didn't feel held back, but YMMV. For me it felt like it along with potasium helps reduce soreness by a great deal.

What you're really trying to do with the Carbs Sean is stop cortisol and get nutrients back into muscles and help clean out lactic acid too. High GI carbs after a work out the best because they stimulate insulin. Right after a work out you have high cortisol and high GH levels. The insulin spike helps to shuttle in nutrients to the cells, and now it's common beleif that by spiking insulin when your body has a high GH level you can help release lots of IGF-1 that will help build cells. The spike in insuline also stops cortisol, and that's the most important part as cortisol is what tells your body to eat muscles for energy and not fat.

To be sceintific with it just get a bag of dextrose and a bag of fast acting protein. Start with the 4:1 mix and then go from there. Once you get a ration of carbs to protein down, then add in vitamins you feel might help. B vitamins, or C, etc. Creatine wouldn't hurt either. Most people will tell you it's not for endurance and only for large muscles groups and they might be right. Slowest of the muscle fbers like to eat fat. But you use almost ever muscle fiber type when pedaling with any intensity. All other muscle groups use creating and ATP for energy.

Hey damnit, pretend I am stupid. What do I buy?

Yes, I want spoonfeeding :)

I'll ask questions as I use it. :P