jellyfish420

LMT wannabe...

Put em in the ring, my money is on Kent.

you all totally missed the part about the concept of "LMT" being around since the late 1970's..

xbl^2 has only been out for 4 years now ;)

I'd say that "LMT" is more then...developed...

you all totally missed the part about the concept of "LMT" being around since the late 1970's..

xbl^2 has only been out for 4 years now ;)

I'd say that "LMT" is more then...developed...

i see what ur saying, but even "developed", it wasn't used. probably due to what u and cb have stated, as well as all xbl fans, the increased inductance and such. however, technologies improve. materials improve. even in xbl drivers. so while the technology is basiclly the same, materials might not be. or whatever. so to use the blanket statement xbl>LMT without a conclusive test, or even a respectable head to head comparo, is premature. especially from someone whom u say is inexperienced. (though i'd say he's well read, even for 15) i understand that's his opinion, but not a well founded one.

and again, when one reads the reviews done by those few with LMT drivers, xbl is always on the short end. i have yet to read one review that stated that xbl is better.

and supa...lol.....thanks. but i like cb, for 15 he's handles this very maturely. so i'll stay outa the ring with him..lol....'sides, win or lose, i go to jail...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

either way inductance and super high Q isnt a good thing.

According to Mike, thus far the inductance on the Rl-s will be in the ~2mH range (In this post) which is right in line with every other driver in it's league, and the Q will be in the .5 range, which isn't bad (although it does make it more of a sealed box woofer. But, I'm a sealed box kinda guy, so it doesn't bother me any :D )

and im just going by what i have read

And there we have the problem!!

well that is all what MOST pwople can do since they are only in development.

you can make a concious decision with out experencing somehting first hand.

anyway i should have known better than to bring up the pitfalls of LMT on a board whith SS's official bord...you go over to SIN and say LMT is better than XBL and the same chit will happen...only because people jump on the band waggon of what the prominant people on the board are saying...and because there are 3 companies with XBL drivers on SIN XBL is the more liked technology.

But IMO if you want to fix something you look at the motor, not the coil. to do what XBL, LMT, DM, etc are trying to acheive you have to elongate one of the two magnetic feilds, the stationary or the moving one...

Nick is right, when I saw a Team RF sub give out, it sorta changed my POV on durability on drivers

Eh...whatever

You ladies have fun going back and forth ;):)

This concept that LMT uses has been around since the late 1970's...iirc...

Linear motors are used in hard drives, considering they have voice coils too (just trying to be informative).

I don't see why inductance is such an issue. The initial prototype has plenty of output up to 60-70hz. Who needs a woofer to play all the way up to 80hz anyway? That's what midbasses are for.

The only pitfall of this driver is it sounds soooooooo damn good.

Well...inductance is also a component of transient response. So, high inductance can impede that. However, like I mentioned....from what Mike has stated of the proto, inductance won't be much higher than it's competiton. That's unless the inductance changes from now till the final product.

Well...inductance is also a component of transient response.  So, high inductance can impede that.

I know that B) I believe Mike said the initial prototypes had 6mH of inductance. The Custom A (first of the ubers if i'm not mistaken) has 12mH of inductance and it starts rolling off at 50hz, which really isn't all that awful.

I'm sure that posting on this may just continue the bickering, but oh well.

LMT is neat while looking at the BL "curve" from a driver equipped with it, but Nick is right about its downfalls...and even then he only listed a FEW of many. Some that he didn't mention are the huge gap required and lack of windings in the gap at rest (hence the low BL).

IMO, XBL^2 is a much more efficient technology all the way around (loudspeaker efficiency, and cost-efficiency).

:Doh:

you just did it agian like me :dammit::No:

and it starts agian

:partybanana::duel:

:roller:

Listen to a woofer with litterally No BL...and look for transient response....

Then listen to a woofer that has 30-40tm (if you really wanna get giddy let's say 150-200tm of Bl) of Bl with an XBL^2 gap...the transient response is awesome, but..it doesn't peak!

I guess LMT has its place...i don't really 'care' for it per say...one of my favorite speakers of all time just for listening is the JBL WGTi...which uses neither technology...

I like XBL^2 equipped woofers, however the cream of the crop has yet to see the light of day though :)

Yes...there are a few XBL drivers soon to see the light (like 2000 eleventy billion) which will kick da major ass...

the thing was, i'm not saying LMT is better then xbl oor vice versa. what i was saying was that on a sub on paper is one thing. a sub in a real world application is another. and to base a comment like xbl>LMT until one has heard both side by side is ,well, premature.

i have owned a xbl^2 driver and in all honesty (and it's well known) found it very overhyped. my underhung driver sounded better IMO, (i know what ppl say about wanting some THD in their music, so a standard sub will sound "warmer") both in clarity and transient response. was it? i don't know, i don't have the equipment to check. but it for sure kept up in output, got lower sealed as well as ported. so to me, xbl^2, while nice, isn't the end all for subs. not yet anyway.

and it might very well turn out to be true that xbl> LMT. but until i hear one side by side, i will reserve judgement. and i think all ppl should, even if ur some super geek techno t/s parameter quasi junkie. because what it says on paper isn't necessarly what happens in car.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Technology smallogy. Just give me a woofer that humps for a decent price and I am happy. Who really needs the woofer to reproduce all that crap above 60Hz anyway? And efficency? Hell an inline for is more efficent than a V8 but I'd rather have a V8. In the end, it's gonna be a matter of put up or shut and until then shut up is what I plan to do.

Warbleed has already been over this before. Everything has been dramatized overly and blown way out of proportion.

Efficiency? We'll see how a pair sounds on a 2000X. I'll be willing do a head to head with any set of triple x 15's or brahma's, 18" triple x's welcome as well. That is, when the setup is finished.

technollogy smallogy

id rather have somehting that hits the 140 deebeez with 1500w or less than one i have to murder my electrical system, then buy a new altinator, $300, Deep Cycle battery, $150, or two, $300, bigger amp, lotta mucho denaro, thicker power wire and fuses, only a few bucks more but its what i could save to buy cokes and all while installing or a six pack or two of good beer for friday night party's while thumping.

just like id rather have my little i-4 getting 30mpg than my big 454 v8 getting 10 gpm (not a typo)...oh and id save on insurnace too.

but if i could have any engine to play with it would be a little 1.3l...and it only has 3 moving parts...anyone want to make a geuss... capeable of 400 streetable HP easy...and there are some making as much as 800hp for drag...

all you have to do is add more fule, boost, and widen the "seals" .i dont want to say which type because anybody with half a brain will know...of course anyone with half a brain should already know if they like cars...well other cars besides "american muscle" only lovers... who are usually just ricers with louder, better sounding exaust and cars that are sctually kinda fast. or just old guys who are stuck in their "prime"

You are talking a rotary but in the end it is all the same. A 454, or my fav a 302 bored to 331 or a 1.8 or a 1.3. 1000hp, 750hp, 300hp or 120hp. 160db, 150db, 130db. It's all a bunch a hooey, because in the end, no matter what you have, it will be lucky to see the light of day once or twice in its lifetime. And if you say you listen to 150db all day everyday I say you are full of shiyat and have never in your life heard 150db. They are all just different ways to get to the same destination....the drudgery of daily life.....

(PS I am not talking mess so please don't be offended)

where did you get 150 from?

also, who says you cant have a daily set up capebale of 140dB? XXX 15's do it all the time...

a daily set up capebale of 140dB? XXX 15's do it all the time...

. . . . And so do a lot of other drivers. :fing34:

first one that came to mind...others...

Ava 15's

Brahma 15's

Tumult 15's and 12's (15's are easier)

RL-P 15's (no experence persoanlly but alot of people claim to)

IA DP 15's and 12's (see above)

DD 3515's

DD9115's

DD9512's and 9515's

DD9900 (see above but i mean comeon..its DD's highes line)

Higher end Kicker (Solo X's)

Higher end Audiobahns

the list goes on and on...today, all you have to do is port it and even with SQl tuning (low 30's) 140dB isnt that hard...