Sign in to follow this  
wof131s

Fi Q 15" No Sound :(

So i had 2 of these sealed and decided on going one ported. I had the other in my room for about a month, before selling it to my brother. He got through with the enclosure built, and put the sub in but there was no sound. Its a dual 1 ohm so it is wired to 2 ohms (triple checked it). When we hook up either side, the sub will play, but when wired to 2 ohms there is no sound. Tried the sub in another car and the exact same thing happens. Any suggestions on what is going on?

check the voice coils with a DMM and see what the ohm reading is.

u sure u arent crossing both terminals with each other when wiring in series?

I hope this looks right when i type this...

Do u have it wired like this>

+ -

../

+ -

(the dots mean nothing)

that leaves one + on 1 side and a - only on the other.

are you 100 percent positive it is wired up right? if each coil plays seperately it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt work 2gether. what amp are you using? tell us how u have it wired up.

It's not working because one coil is out of phase from the other, I'm pretty sure of it. Try swapping the terminals on one side when you hook it up in series. Even if they're out of phase it will still read 2ohms, it's just that they'll cancel eachother out and not make any sound.

Ill have him check it and report back in the morning, its been a very very very, long day. Thanks for the fast reply.

Coils are out of phase..

There could be a very slight possibility that the markers on the terminals could be backwards on the red and black...that occasionally happens as we do not make those.

If you put the speaker on the counter positive should always be on your left if you are facing it.

Ok ill try switching it. The DMM shows anyway from .9~1 ohm per side. So maybe they are just out of phase. Ill check it when i get off from work. Thanks

Coils are out of phase..

There could be a very slight possibility that the markers on the terminals could be backwards on the red and black...that occasionally happens as we do not make those.

If you put the speaker on the counter positive should always be on your left if you are facing it.

So if this is the case, wouldnt the sub only be able to be ran at 1 ohm? I tried running it at 2 ohms, as stated above and i got no sound. With the terminals out of phase, can the sub still be wired to 2 ohms?

Coils are out of phase..

So if this is the case, wouldnt the sub only be able to be ran at 1 ohm? I tried running it at 2 ohms, as stated above and i got no sound. With the terminals out of phase, can the sub still be wired to 2 ohms?

Nope. You didn't have a complete circuit wiring out of phase.

The reason for my asking is, when i wired the sub to 2 ohms as if the terimnals were in phase i dont get anything from it. But when i wire it backward i get it to work but my amp shut down whenever i turn it up. My amp is a jl 1800 which is 2 ohms stable. It seems that i can wire the sub to 1 ohm but not 2 ohms. Any suggestions for this problem.

Thanks

Actually, in parallel that sub is .5 ohms. Can't think of anything that hasn't already been said though.

Scott or a Fi rep,

1) Will a recone fix the problem?

2) Whats the price on a 15'' Q recone w/ and w/o BP power?

3) Can a Q with BP power be reconed into a BL?

Thanks

Edited by wof131s

Does anyone have any suggestions? If not, does anyone know how I can get in contact with Fi other than email. Ive emailed them over and over since ive had there woofer but have got nothing much back. Usually it the delay email response. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Does anyone have any suggestions? If not, does anyone know how I can get in contact with Fi other than email. Ive emailed them over and over since ive had there woofer but have got nothing much back. Usually it the delay email response. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Gotta be patient, they will get to you when they can. Im pretty sure they dedicate only so much time to forums and emails vs. actually building subwoofers and getting orders taken care of. I doubt you can recone a Q to a BL since a recone does not affect the motor and what not.

Thanks

E-mailing they replied pretty quick just be patient. And the recones are on there website in the recone side and it says the q and everthing. I believe you cannot change that sub into a bl ecause they are completely different series with different goals in mind.

If each coil reads .9 ohms, you don't need a recone. Perhaps take a picture of the terminals and how it is wired.

I wired the sub up this way first and got 1.3 ohms

Option 2 (series) = 2 ohm load

1_1ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

This was the second way I wired the sub and got 1.3 ohms still.

Option 1 (parallel) = 0.5 ohm load

1_1ohm_dvc_05ohm.gif

Any Suggestion on what is going on.

Edited by wof131s

Patience man..patience.

I already told you, you have a coil wired out of phase. Take a picture of both sides of the sub with the terminal facing you label them as side 1 and side 2.

Do this..and i'll tell you what you are messing up.

My previous post shows how the sub terminals are labeled and how i wired it. I dont have a camera to take pics. Shouldnt the diagrams show the same thing as pics would?

Both coils are good, there's something else going on, has to be. Don't have a cam on ur cell? It wouldn't take much to get a couple of pics up, but I'm POSITIVE you have a coil out of phase from the other.

Is the positive on the LEFT side on both sides if you have the terminal facing towards you if you put the speaker on the table?

Patience man..patience.

I already told you, you have a coil wired out of phase. Take a picture of both sides of the sub with the terminal facing you label them as side 1 and side 2.

Do this..and i'll tell you what you are messing up.

My previous post shows how the sub terminals are labeled and how i wired it. I dont have a camera to take pics. Shouldnt the diagrams show the same thing as pics would?

Just do what Nick said and let us know what you have! Not that hard to understand.

With the sub on the table( magnet on the table, cone up) the pos is on the left neg on the left for both terminals.

Sign in to follow this